ADVERTISEMENT

Perhaps the best move for the ACC would be to merge with the SEC.

pandarod

Sophomore
Dec 2, 2003
The SEC is already positioned as the first superconference and will be renegotiating its television deal. The speculation has been that there will be 64 seats at the table when all the music stops, so why not approach Notre Dame about coaxing Penn State to join the ACC as the 15th and 16th members to form the second superconference, with the understanding that an SEC/ACC merger guarantees both a seat at the table when the music stops. ESPN may have been the driving force behind the Texas/Oklahoma move to the SEC to steal the most valuable assets the Big 12 had to weaken the broadcasting power of Fox. The ACC and SEC have strong ties to ESPN, and if both conferences joined forces, they could dominate college football with most of the television sets in the US and a virtual lock on everything East of the Mississippi. Fox would only have the Pac 12, the Big 10, and whatever remained of the Big 12 and non-power 5 conferences to cobble a deal with. Having the SEC and ESPN on board, could be the compelling factor to force Notre Dame and Penn State to reserve their seats at the big table or get left out in the cold. This is especially true knowing that Notre Dame was most concerned about the scheduling concerns they would have as an independent should the superconferences be formed without them. I may be wrong, but if ESPN and CBS were behind the Big 12 move to weaken Fox's future television rights, then the ACC should be aggressive to ensure they strike now while they are in a position to get through the door before the SEC eventually comes after Clemson and Florida State down the road when the GOR gets closer to expiring. The SEC is the future whether we like it or not and I would rather we be proactive than reactive since we all lived through the Big East falling to pieces due to a lack of vision. Ok, time to let the naysayers and trolls have their shots at me.

Panda

Reactions: JSSTartan
Reading this early this morning and then again this evening with the Big XII letter and allegations public, it hits a little different.

Reading this early this morning and then again this evening with the Big XII letter and allegations public, it hits a little different.
Thanks JS. The shit is hitting the fan right now with Bob Bowelsby if the Big 12 threatening legal action against ESPN. I knew ESPN was behind the OU/Texas move, but unlike the Big East, Bowelsby isn't going down without a fight. get your popcorn, the show is about to start with a big lawsuit. Legal fight!

Panda

Reactions: JSSTartan
The SEC is already positioned as the first superconference and will be renegotiating its television deal. The speculation has been that there will be 64 seats at the table when all the music stops, so why not approach Notre Dame about coaxing Penn State to join the ACC as the 15th and 16th members to form the second superconference, with the understanding that an SEC/ACC merger guarantees both a seat at the table when the music stops. ESPN may have been the driving force behind the Texas/Oklahoma move to the SEC to steal the most valuable assets the Big 12 had to weaken the broadcasting power of Fox. The ACC and SEC have strong ties to ESPN, and if both conferences joined forces, they could dominate college football with most of the television sets in the US and a virtual lock on everything East of the Mississippi. Fox would only have the Pac 12, the Big 10, and whatever remained of the Big 12 and non-power 5 conferences to cobble a deal with. Having the SEC and ESPN on board, could be the compelling factor to force Notre Dame and Penn State to reserve their seats at the big table or get left out in the cold. This is especially true knowing that Notre Dame was most concerned about the scheduling concerns they would have as an independent should the superconferences be formed without them. I may be wrong, but if ESPN and CBS were behind the Big 12 move to weaken Fox's future television rights, then the ACC should be aggressive to ensure they strike now while they are in a position to get through the door before the SEC eventually comes after Clemson and Florida State down the road when the GOR gets closer to expiring. The SEC is the future whether we like it or not and I would rather we be proactive than reactive since we all lived through the Big East falling to pieces due to a lack of vision. Ok, time to let the naysayers and trolls have their shots at me.

Panda
I'd love to see something along these lines. If ND is ever going to be pushed into joining the conference, it's probably going to happen here in the near future.

Tbh, I'm not sure the GOR are really all that much of a deterrent. The SEC is getting to be almost too powerful. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they just cherry picked what the wanted from ACC & let the chips fall where they may. Leave it to the lawyers to figure it out.

The next few years are going to be interesting. No doubt about it.

Reactions: cashisking884
Are there tampering laws within the NCAA with regard to a media outlet encouraging a move? While I don't like the smell test of this just wondering what the legal ramifications are.

Are there tampering laws within the NCAA with regard to a media outlet encouraging a move? While I don't like the smell test of this just wondering what the legal ramifications are.
That is a good question. I don't think so or the Big East would have used them when the ACC assisted by ESPN would have tried to claim damages. I wonder if the wording of the media contract could be used to show ESPN acted in bad faith by broadcasting Big 12 games while behind the scenes working against the interests of the Big 12. This will be interesting to see how the lawyers approach this situation.

Panda

Reactions: HailToPitt725
That is a good question. I don't think so or the Big East would have used them when the ACC assisted by ESPN would have tried to claim damages. I wonder if the wording of the media contract could be used to show ESPN acted in bad faith by broadcasting Big 12 games while behind the scenes working against the interests of the Big 12. This will be interesting to see how the lawyers approach this situation.

Panda
The contract between the Big 12 and ESPN could be the issue!
ESPN tampering with that contract and the commissioner sending a cease and desist letter to ESPN may indicate breach of contract!

Big 12 has to hope they can keep Texas & Oklahoma in the conference until their contact ends in four years. It gives them time to regroup.

If West Virginia goes to ACC and Kansas and Iowa State to Big 10 you might have 5 teams left. Big 12 should then take in a large group from the AAC. Houston being at the top of the list.

ADVERTISEMENT