ADVERTISEMENT

PG Column from Ron Cook: Let's be patient with Pat Narduzzi and Pitt football

PittPoker

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2008
It really doesn't matter what anyone thinks anyways, he's getting at least 4 years. I still say if his team's end up with 2-4 wins this year and next he should be canned. But with so much instability with the basketball program as well, I can't see Lyke doing much of anything. Recruiting though needs to seriously improve.

Here's the column:

Maybe James Franklin was right.

Maybe beating Pitt is no different than beating Akron.

It’s not as if Franklin is the only coach piling on Pitt. Paul Johnson took his turn Saturday after Georgia Tech’s 35-17 win in Atlanta. He talked of his squad needing to clean up its four turnovers “because, against a good team, we won’t be able to survive.”

Pitt deserves the ridicule.

It is 1-3, assured of a 36th consecutive season with at least three losses. It needed overtime to beat Youngstown State at home. It played its best game at Penn State and still lost by 19 points. It wasn’t competitive in a 38-point loss at home to Oklahoma State. It was blown out in the second half at Georgia Tech.

Here’s a tough question to answer:

Is Pitt’s offense worse than its defense or vice versa?

Both are rotten.

Pitt is having a hard time deciding between two quarterbacks, which means it doesn’t have even one. It struggles to run the ball, the proof its 37 rushing yards at Georgia Tech. Its line play has been well below the line, clearly missing Dorian Johnson and Adam Bisnowaty — now in the NFL — from last season.

Pitt’s defense can’t stop the run or the pass. It gave up 436 rushing yards to Georgia Tech, 572 passing yards to Oklahoma State. It has allowed at least 31 points in 13 of its past 14 games against power-five conference opponents. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Craig Meyer dug a little deeper into the frightening arithmetic: In those 14 games, Pitt has allowed an average of 39.4 points and 488.7 yards. Incredibly, those numbers went down a bit Saturday when it gave up 35 and 484.

I’m thinking the defense is worse than the offense.

That is a horrible reflection on Pat Narduzzi, an alleged defensive guru.

This is Narduzzi’s third season at Pitt. The howls of disgust are growing louder from those who care about the program. Predictably, more than a few fans have taken to social media to call for Narduzzi’s firing. The goodwill generated last season by wins against Penn State and eventual national champion Clemson has all but evaporated with many.

I’m not even close to jumping on that train. It was one thing to force out Dave Wannstedt after Pitt, in his sixth season, lost at home to Miami (31-3) on a Thursday night in front of 400 lettermen, including John Majors and Tony Dorsett, and at home to West Virginia (35-10). Wannstedt’s time was up. But you have to give a coach — any coach — at least four seasons if not five. I get that it’s hard to be patient. But patience is an absolute must. Often, it is rewarded. Look at Franklin at Penn State. A year ago, his team was beaten, 49-10, at Michigan after losing at Pitt earlier in the season. It was his third season. People inside and outside of the program called for his firing. Again, that was predictable.

Where would the Penn State program be if its administrators had fired Franklin? He kept things together so well last season that Penn State won the Big Ten Conference championship and played in the Rose Bowl. It is 4-0 this season after coming back in the final seconds Saturday night to win at Iowa. It’s ranked No. 4 in the latest Associated Press Top 25 poll and is a legitimate national championship contender.

Patience.

I am not even thinking about writing off Narduzzi. I like his energy and enthusiasm and what he is trying to do with the Pitt program, although I wonder if the constant, seemingly overwhelming fight to put fannies in the Heinz Field seats is wearing him down. I had a hard time answering a Penn State fan who sent me a tweet last week showing Beaver Stadium for the Penn State-Georgia State game (102,000 in attendance) and Heinz Field for Pitt-Oklahoma State (39,000) and asked, “Why should Penn State care about the rivalry? Why should it fill the seats at Pitt’s Stadium?”

The harsh truth is it could get worse for Narduzzi before it gets better, if it gets better. Pitt has eight games remaining. How many wins do you see? Rice at home Saturday, for sure. (I’m guessing there will be about 20,000 in the stands). Perhaps at Syracuse the next week. Maybe North Carolina at home Nov. 9. But other than those games? North Carolina State beat Florida State Saturday. Duke is 4-0. Virginia won at Boise State Friday night. No. 12 Virginia Tech is 4-0 with a win against West Virginia. No. 14 Miami is 2-0 and scored 51 against Pitt last season.

Things could turn quickly from ugly to awful. Pitt is looking hard at 4-8. Its nine-year streak of making a bowl game is in jeopardy.

I know.

The patience is going to be tested.

Ron Cook: rcook@post-gazette.com and Twitter@RonCookPG. Ron Cook can be heard on the “Cook and Poni” show weekdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on 93.7 The Fan.

I think it is a fair column. And I do think 4-8 (or worse) is likely. I do think the defense is going to start to get better. It has to. The younger talent is mature. On offense, just completely devoid of playmakers outside of a jet sweep to Henderson.

I think it is a fair column. And I do think 4-8 (or worse) is likely. I do think the defense is going to start to get better. It has to. The younger talent is mature. On offense, just completely devoid of playmakers outside of a jet sweep to Henderson.
It's an incredibly lazy column. I mean, his point is right, we should be patient with Narduzzi, but he really doesn't add anything to that other than one throwaway line about how Franklin turned Penn State around last year.

Georgia play GT annually and GT draws like Pitt. Same goes for The U and FSU before Miami joined the ACC. Comments like his weak one seem uninformed.

Last edited:
Reactions: DruidTM
His overall point is correct. We need to be patient with Narduzzi. The constant instability at the HC spot is not good for any program especially a program like Pitt that is not going to get 5 star after 5 star type kids.

Are there things Narduzzi needs to clean up? Clearly there are and hopefully he can improve recruiting some.

He needs a better OC and frankly a better DC. Not only has the defense stunk on the field but I don't recall Conklin being involved in any big time recruits. I get that the defense is Narduzzi's but if Conklin is not going to be a better recruiter he really serves no purpose then. Maybe I am wrong on that but my perception is that he is not one of their top recruiters. Watson has been awful to this point. The problem with Watson/OC is that it has been a revolving door so you almost have to stick with him to hope he turns it around. We can't really afford to fire him and have like the 8th OC in the past 8 seasons. At some point that position needs stability also.

It really doesn't matter what anyone thinks anyways, he's getting at least 4 years. I still say if his team's end up with 2-4 wins this year and next he should be canned. But with so much instability with the basketball program as well, I can't see Lyke doing much of anything. Recruiting though needs to seriously improve.

Here's the column:

It’s not as if Franklin is the only coach piling on Pitt. Paul Johnson took his turn Saturday after Georgia Tech’s 35-17 win in Atlanta. He talked of his squad needing to clean up its four turnovers “because, against a good team, we won’t be able to survive.”

It is 1-3, assured of a 36th consecutive season with at least three losses. It needed overtime to beat Youngstown State at home. It played its best game at Penn State and still lost by 19 points. It wasn’t competitive in a 38-point loss at home to Oklahoma State. It was blown out in the second half at Georgia Tech.

Both are rotten.

Pitt is having a hard time deciding between two quarterbacks, which means it doesn’t have even one. It struggles to run the ball, the proof its 37 rushing yards at Georgia Tech. Its line play has been well below the line, clearly missing Dorian Johnson and Adam Bisnowaty — now in the NFL — from last season.

Pitt’s defense can’t stop the run or the pass. It gave up 436 rushing yards to Georgia Tech, 572 passing yards to Oklahoma State. It has allowed at least 31 points in 13 of its past 14 games against power-five conference opponents. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Craig Meyer dug a little deeper into the frightening arithmetic: In those 14 games, Pitt has allowed an average of 39.4 points and 488.7 yards. Incredibly, those numbers went down a bit Saturday when it gave up 35 and 484.

This is Narduzzi’s third season at Pitt. The howls of disgust are growing louder from those who care about the program. Predictably, more than a few fans have taken to social media to call for Narduzzi’s firing. The goodwill generated last season by wins against Penn State and eventual national champion Clemson has all but evaporated with many.

I’m not even close to jumping on that train. It was one thing to force out Dave Wannstedt after Pitt, in his sixth season, lost at home to Miami (31-3) on a Thursday night in front of 400 lettermen, including John Majors and Tony Dorsett, and at home to West Virginia (35-10). Wannstedt’s time was up. But you have to give a coach — any coach — at least four seasons if not five. I get that it’s hard to be patient. But patience is an absolute must. Often, it is rewarded. Look at Franklin at Penn State. A year ago, his team was beaten, 49-10, at Michigan after losing at Pitt earlier in the season. It was his third season. People inside and outside of the program called for his firing. Again, that was predictable.

Where would the Penn State program be if its administrators had fired Franklin? He kept things together so well last season that Penn State won the Big Ten Conference championship and played in the Rose Bowl. It is 4-0 this season after coming back in the final seconds Saturday night to win at Iowa. It’s ranked No. 4 in the latest Associated Press Top 25 poll and is a legitimate national championship contender.

Patience.

I am not even thinking about writing off Narduzzi. I like his energy and enthusiasm and what he is trying to do with the Pitt program, although I wonder if the constant, seemingly overwhelming fight to put fannies in the Heinz Field seats is wearing him down. I had a hard time answering a Penn State fan who sent me a tweet last week showing Beaver Stadium for the Penn State-Georgia State game (102,000 in attendance) and Heinz Field for Pitt-Oklahoma State (39,000) and asked, “Why should Penn State care about the rivalry? Why should it fill the seats at Pitt’s Stadium?”

The harsh truth is it could get worse for Narduzzi before it gets better, if it gets better. Pitt has eight games remaining. How many wins do you see? Rice at home Saturday, for sure. (I’m guessing there will be about 20,000 in the stands). Perhaps at Syracuse the next week. Maybe North Carolina at home Nov. 9. But other than those games? North Carolina State beat Florida State Saturday. Duke is 4-0. Virginia won at Boise State Friday night. No. 12 Virginia Tech is 4-0 with a win against West Virginia. No. 14 Miami is 2-0 and scored 51 against Pitt last season.

Things could turn quickly from ugly to awful. Pitt is looking hard at 4-8. Its nine-year streak of making a bowl game is in jeopardy.

I know.

Ron Cook: rcook@post-gazette.com and Twitter@RonCookPG. Ron Cook can be heard on the “Cook and Poni” show weekdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on 93.7 The Fan.
Typical Cook column. The point of the column is that Narduzzi has to be given 4 or 5 years to get everything in place. Correct on this point. But he spends about 90% of the column bashing everything he can about the program before he interjects the main point. And as usual he gets that little jab in about Franklin and the Nits and their successes. Like I said. Typical Cook column.

The article is fine. Firing Pat Narduzzi at this point would be incredibly idiotic. No coach worth a damn would even consider coming to Pitt after firing a coach that won 8 games 2 years in a row. Just like pushing out Dixon left the basketball program with a re-tread dud of a coach. Give Duzz time and see what he can do.

It is irresponsible to write an article even addressing the firing of a coach who has gone 8-4 2 seasons in a row, beat 2 Top 5 teams last season but has lost 3 games this season to clearly better teams.

The article should not have been written. Only a fool would fire Narduzzi, even if we go 1-11.

It is irresponsible to write an article even addressing the firing of a coach who has gone 8-4 2 seasons in a row, beat 2 Top 5 teams last season but has lost 3 games this season to clearly better teams.

The article should not have been written. Only a fool would fire Narduzzi, even if we go 1-11.

Exactly right on all your thoughts about Narduzzi. Not sure if it was irresponsible to write this or not but he is mostly saying the same thing.

I can't stand this guy frankly, but he is right. I have read a number of morons suggesting Narduzzi's seat is hot and other totally moronic stuff. So his article is saying that kind of talk is wrong.

I think many of us had a gut feeling that this would be a "transition year" (hate that term) and it definitely looks to be one. 4-8 is going to be a tough pill to swallow. I would like to at least see some life in this team to provide a stepping stone to hopefully a better next year. Also, need some recruits that are worth a damn!

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer

Exactly right on all your thoughts about Narduzzi. Not sure if it was irresponsible to write this or not but he is mostly saying the same thing.

I can't stand this guy frankly, but he is right. I have read a number of morons suggesting Narduzzi's seat is hot and other totally moronic stuff. So his article is saying that kind of talk is wrong.

But it is giving credence to lunatics. Maybe .001% of Pitt fans want Narduzzi fired and they are mentally ill. No reason to write an article to address them.

He should not be fired after this year.

However, if he goes 3-9 this year and 4-8 next year, he needs to go. It isn't even the record that is the issue, it is the defense that is the issue...also the fact that it doesn't seem he can recruit any good offensive players.

If I saw young players that were showing flashes of being good, I would be totally on board even with a down year. I am seeing nothing of the sort.

I honestly wish chryst would have stayed, but oh well.

Here's the column:

Both are rotten.

Patience.

I know.

Does waiting for 35 years qualify as "being patient"?

Cruzer

However, if he goes 3-9 this year and 4-8 next year, he needs to go. It isn't even the record that is the issue, it is the defense that is the issue...also the fact that it doesn't seem he can recruit any good offensive players.

If I saw young players that were showing flashes of being good, I would be totally on board even with a down year. I am seeing nothing of the sort.

No he gets Year 5 no matter what. Even say 2-10, 3-9, he still gets 5 year. I mean Kevin Stallings is getting 3 minimum and people think Narduzzi is on the hot seat, yea right.

As I've said, the only way Narduzzi isn't here in the next 2 years is if MSU hires him away to replace Dantonio and believe me he is still the Top 10 choices on their list.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Be patient everyone — Narduzzi's defense can only get better! No literally, they can't get any worse.

Well it is easy to say that but Chryst was struggling too. Recruiting is more than the coach and staff, it needs the entire university leadership behind it working cooperatively with boosters. At least Narduzzi looks to take an active hand. Chryst did not.

Im not trying to resurrect the whole crazy Wannstedt debate again. He wasn't good on game day. Things looked to have plateaued or worse with him near the end. But he seemed able to recruit better without university and booster support better than the last 3 guys can. May as well have just kept him (the spurt of arrests his last fall that they fired him for were an aberration).

Well it is easy to say that but Chryst was struggling too. Recruiting is more than the coach and staff, it needs the entire university leadership behind it working cooperatively with boosters. At least Narduzzi looks to take an active hand. Chryst did not.

Im not trying to resurrect the whole crazy Wannstedt debate again. He wasn't good on game day. Things looked to have plateaued or worse with him near the end. But he seemed able to recruit better without university and booster support better than the last 3 guys can. May as well have just kept him (the spurt of arrests his last fall that they fired him for were an aberration).

Chryst took over a MUCH worse situation than narduzzi. If pitt was going to lose 8 games it should have been during chryst's first two years. The fact that he won 6 those years was pretty remarkable.

Remember how bad year one started? Lost to Ysu, and smacked by cincy?

They are 2-4, and won 4 of the last 6, and honestly beat ND but due to terrible officiating lost the game in OT.

Also, chryst's recruiting was blasted, and not rated high...but his 2012 class turned out really damn good...his players outperformed rankings by a large margin, much like Wisconsin always has.

Chryst took over a MUCH worse situation than narduzzi. If pitt was going to lose 8 games it should have been during chryst's first two years. The fact that he won 6 those years was pretty remarkable.

Remember how bad year one started? Lost to Ysu, and smacked by cincy?

They are 2-4, and won 4 of the last 6, and honestly beat ND but due to terrible officiating lost the game in OT.

Also, chryst's recruiting was blasted, and not rated high...but his 2012 class turned out really damn good...his players outperformed rankings by a large margin, much like Wisconsin always has.

They beat Gardner-Webb, Temple, Buffalo, and a 3-9 USF team.

Their big wins were at home over 6-6 VT and crazily overrated Rutgers.

You're right...PC took over a much worse situation than PN.
It's crazy and sad that this is a debate. Neither inherited great packages... and neither are particularly better or worse coaches themselves. They are each just, meh. Which is not a surprise given they were both coordinators, and upgrades in the HC position are never a priority for Pitt vs. low cost. :(

Chryst is doing very well. Maybe Narduzzi will be doing as well in his 5th and 6th years? Didn't he win 10 his first year and 11 his second year? Currently on Pace to do it again. Meh coach?

Reactions: Pittfan85
Chryst is doing very well. Maybe Narduzzi will be doing as well in his 5th and 6th years? Didn't he win 10 his first year and 11 his second year? Currently on Pace to do it again. Meh coach?
He's greatly supported by Wisconsin. Recruiting magically improves when that happens. Plus, Alvarez made sure he had a real DC. Pitt ran the program for him on a frayed shoestring, like they do now as well. Given all that the program does fairly well with him there, as it had with the three previous coaches. Its the system and school commitment.

You're certainly within rights to be impressed by Chryst and as i said i think he's a good guy and solid OC (for the Big Ten) but all things considered, Duz gets the nod with me. Not by a ton though. But in either case, expectations should be muted because of what Pitt puts into it... not much.

Reactions: PittMiamiRivalry
Stadium issue is real. Despite the love professed by the Heinzerphils, don't think same pressure in a rebuilding would exist at Pitt Stadium.

I think it's so funny he still has this obsession with the 3 loss thing he read on penn state's message board. He's a pathetic lazy writer

Last edited:

Did you read the article ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT