ADVERTISEMENT

PG Preseason Fab 22

pittmeister

Heisman Winner
May 26, 2010
Tyree Alualu, North Allegheny, RB-LB, 5-11, 195, Jr.

Aiden Besselman, Upper St. Clair, WR-DB, Sr.

Brad Birch, Gateway, QB, 6-2, 190, Jr.

Bobbie Boyd, McKeesport, RB-DB, 5-8, 175, Sr.

Cruce Brookins, Steel Valley, QB-DB, 6-1, 180, Sr.

Kade Capristo, Mt. Lebanon, OL-DL, 6-3, 295 Sr.

Ryan Cory, Pine-Richland, OL-DL, 6-4, 290, Jr.

Davoun Fuse, Washington, QB-DB, 6-4, 190, Sr.

Rodney Gallagher, Laurel Highlands, WR-DB, 6-0, 175, Sr.

Peter Gonzalez, Central Catholic, 6-2, 195, Jr.

Conlan Greene, Penn-Trafford, QB-TE-DE, 6-4, 250, Sr.

Tiqwai Hayes, Aliquippa, RB, 6-0, 190, So.

Luke Lawson, Seneca Valley, WR-DB, 6-3, 200, Sr.

Cameron Lindsey, Aliquippa, RB-LB, 6-2, 195, Jr.

Braylan Lovelace, Leechburg, RB-LB, 6-2, 198, Sr.

Quinton Martin, Belle Vernon, RB-LB, 6-3, 200, Jr.

Jordan Mayer, Thomas Jefferson, TE-DE, 6-5, 230, Sr.

Cadin Olsen, Armstrong, QB, 6-5, 225, Sr.

Lamont Payne, Chartiers Valley, WR-DB, 6-1, 178, Sr.

Ta’Mere Robinson, Brashear, LB, 6-2, 220, Sr.

Anthony Speca, Central Catholic, LB, 6-2, 220, Jr.

Jayvin Thompson, Central Valley, WR-DB, 6-2, 197, Sr.

Not as deep and talented as WPIAL glory years, but there are a lot of solid D1 prospects there. WPIAL is not totally dead as some say. No D1 school could compete with just a base of WPIAL players, but lots of players that can be real contributors at the D1 level.

Not as deep and talented as WPIAL glory years, but there are a lot of solid D1 prospects there. WPIAL is not totally dead as some say. No D1 school could compete with just a base of WPIAL players, but lots of players that can be real contributors at the D1 level.
There are only a handful of kids who have legit chances of playing at a major conference school, anymore. Some of the seniors on that list only have a couple of FCS offers. There will always be a couple who are highly sought after but it's just not even close to the heyday.

I mean, it all depends on the year. The WPIAL will still be pretty loaded in certain years.

2021: Derrick Davis, Elliot Donald, Donovan McMillon, Nahki Johnson, Dorien Ford, Khalil Dinkins, Aaron Gunn, Stephon Hall, Josh Hough... nine P5 players in one year is really good.

2017 was another stacked year, though there were also some busts (though some under the radar guys like Geno Stone and Kenny Robinson kind of made up for that).

It isn't what it used to be, and it's also not as dried up as some people like to make it seem.

In 2021, there were only 6 "power five" signees, tied for the least ever in WPIAL/city league. In 1990, there were 27 P5 players and 50 FBS players in WPIAL/city league. That's not the 70s, that was even after a lot of our population drop.

The Sr. class is pretty weak, but the Jr. class has some ballers. Robinson got hurt last year and isn’t expected to play this year, so he shouldn’t be on the list based on potential down the road.

The Sr. class is pretty weak, but the Jr. class has some ballers. Robinson got hurt last year and isn’t expected to play this year, so he shouldn’t be on the list based on potential down the road.
Tamere Robinson isnt playing this year cause injury?

Tamere Robinson isnt playing this year cause injury?
A writer from the PG (Brad Everitt) interviewed his HS coach and said he was still recovering from his injury and more than likely wouldn’t play this year. But Mike “Blue and White” couldn’t leave him off the list being a PS cheerleader and all.

The state of PA is really stacked for 2024. Philly has a ton of high level dudes.

The state of PA is really stacked for 2024. Philly has a ton of high level dudes.

There's a ton of Pitt students from Philly. Huge celebrations on campus that year the Eagles won. Doesn't seem to translate to the football recruiting side of things for some reason

A writer from the PG (Brad Everitt) interviewed his HS coach and said he was still recovering from his injury and more than likely wouldn’t play this year. But Mike “Blue and White” couldn’t leave him off the list being a PS cheerleader and all.

yeah, should have at least had an asterisks or something saying he was out and would have been included if playing this year

NA sure seems to get a lot of offspring of Steeler coaches...they couldn't be recruiting, could they?
Pretty sure NA is a natural draw for wealthy parents in Pgh, especially those that are wealthy and care about sports and such. Meaning the sports interest eliminates places like Winchester Thurston, Sewickley Academy, etc. that might otherwise appeal to wealthy parents. In the case of Steelers' players, I'd also say the 'whiteness' of such schools is a deterrent as well, not that NA is exactly a mecca of diversity but at least it's a public school.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
When I played. The Parkway conference had 20 P5 players alone ( what they call those schools today ).

Ambridge had 7 by itself. They didn’t even make the playoffs.
Was the same way when I played. I was invited to the old 5-star camp before my senior year and the talent running around was incredible. I told my dad I had no business being there, LOL.

Pretty sure NA is a natural draw for wealthy parents in Pgh, especially those that are wealthy and care about sports and such. Meaning the sports interest eliminates places like Winchester Thurston, Sewickley Academy, etc. that might otherwise appeal to wealthy parents. In the case of Steelers' players, I'd also say the 'whiteness' of such schools is a deterrent as well, not that NA is exactly a mecca of diversity but at least it's a public school.
We are closing on a house in Marshall Twp Sept 5th. I was born and raised in the South Hills. I was blown away by how many rich neighborhoods are in that area. It is so much nicer than the south.

Reactions: UP_WarStreets21
Can remember when guys with FBS offers were left off of all-conference first teams because the area was so stacked.
In 1995, Butler’s O-Line had six guys on it that went D1 (4 FBS, 2 FCS) playing in front of Troy Nunes. One was Fab22, maybe one more was all conference. The other four you never heard of.

Reactions: pittdan77
We are closing on a house in Marshall Twp Sept 5th. I was born and raised in the South Hills. I was blown away by how many rich neighborhoods are in that area. It is so much nicer than the south.
Did you look at Nevillewood or Peters Twp?

Did you look at Nevillewood or Peters Twp?
No. I grew up in Bridgeville and bartended at Nevillewood. Houses are all older now. We lived in USC before moving to Denver so we were next door to Peters. Peters is really nice but access to major roads sucks.

No. I grew up in Bridgeville and bartended at Nevillewood. Houses are all older now. We lived in USC before moving to Denver so we were next door to Peters. Peters is really nice but access to major roads sucks.

Smart move. The "new north" of Pittsburgh is the best place to live in Western PA, hands-down.

In 2021, there were only 6 "power five" signees, tied for the least ever in WPIAL/city league. In 1990, there were 27 P5 players and 50 FBS players in WPIAL/city league. That's not the 70s, that was even after a lot of our population drop.
All true the population has shifted and the talent level therefore drops. But I think in some or enough cases there is more lower level ,FCS or Mid major, kids that are overlooked because of the overall view of our decline and on a school to school basis. We had the "killer B's" from Clairton. We all know what TB became and who he still his. But while getting Pt themselves as freshman and contributors overall his classmates were not superstars but were able to see the field. I think they got some help in getting offers because of Mr. Boyd and they played for one of the dominant small school teams in the area. I think you place those same kids in a school down the road , aka EF or across the bridge South Allegheny they are in the PSAC with lukewarm to token offers from higher levels. I think many of these "tweeners" are not recruited by FCS or FBS in this area anymore which deflates the stats. Teams rather take a third level Florida kid around the same talent level and gamble on them. Even though they are high profile enough to get their kids noticed if you moved Quippa and Clairton over the past several years into the Muck in Florida. They would have 5-5 records more often than not battling with more similar skilled teams in that area. But instead of 2-3 names going FBS or decent level FCS their top 11 would probably get offered somewhere because of the perception they play with teams more often that sharpen their iron. Long story shorter some of the same "talent" moreso for skill positions is here still but in the arms race you go for what is hot. FL, TX, spots in the south and now the transfer portal. Some of those kids I truly don't believe are always that much better they just play each other more and get he benefit of the doubt when it comes to schollie money.

I was reading this and something just occurred to me. I just turned 76, and I have never lived in a suburb. Or, in a house that had a lawn.

Born in McKees Rocks; then Oakland; then Squirrel Hill. After Pitt, went to Columbia for grad school and lived in the South Bronx. Then, the Army. After discharge, lived on Capitol Hill and then DuPont Circle in DC; then an apartment in the Westwood area of LA; and finally Santa Monica, which is not a suburb but a city of 92,000.

Now, we are looking at flats in Barcelona either as a second home or a primary residence and we haven’t looked at anything outside of the central city. Or with a lawn.

I was reading this and something just occurred to me. I just turned 76, and I have never lived in a suburb. Or, in a house that had a lawn.

Born in McKees Rocks; then Oakland; then Squirrel Hill. After Pitt, went to Columbia for grad school and lived in the South Bronx. Then, the Army. After discharge, lived on Capitol Hill and then DuPont Circle in DC; then an apartment in the Westwood area of LA; and finally Santa Monica, which is not a suburb but a city of 92,000.

Now, we are looking at flats in Barcelona either as a second home or a primary residence and we haven’t looked at anything outside of the central city. Or with a lawn.
That's too bad.

That sounds depressing to me.

It is pretty nice out here. We've lived here for almost 47 years and have watched it grow. The housing boom out here is crazy! It's not slowing down like everywhere else. And housing prices are through the roof and still rising. There are sections of the south that are pretty nice. The thing I don't like is the difficulty in commuting from anywhere down there. My son lives in USC and it's not an easy drive to get anywhere. Out here, it's so much easier.

But each to his own. I'll take Marshall, Pine, Franklin Park, Bradford Woods any day over Mt. Lebo, USC or Peters.

Reactions: BigEd33
I cut my grass last weekend and hoping and praying it was the last time of the year. Maybe I’ll run it over to mulch the leaves cause the only thing worse than cutting grass is raking leaves.

I'm pretty sure there are at least another 5 or 6 cuttings to go. I can recall cutting my grass on Christmas Eve one year. Last year, it was after Thanksgiving. And this year, the grass is greener and growing more than in previous years, at least in my lawn.

I cut my grass last weekend and hoping and praying it was the last time of the year. Maybe I’ll run it over to mulch the leaves cause the only thing worse than cutting grass is raking leaves.
I’ve never been able to stop cutting grass until late October/early November where I live. I figure 2 more should do it.

There are?? Who?

I'm pretty sure there are at least another 5 or 6 cuttings to go. I can recall cutting my grass on Christmas Eve one year. Last year, it was after Thanksgiving. And this year, the grass is greener and growing more than in previous years, at least in my lawn.
I don't think so. Heavy frost the other night, I think maybe 2 to at most 3 cuttings left.

I don't think so. Heavy frost the other night, I think maybe 2 to at most 3 cuttings left.
The terrible Steelers game yesterday gave me the impetus to head outside and cut the grass. I probably could have gotten away without it but a thin coating of early leaf fall was already there and it allowed me to mulch it up. I also have large mature oaks and this was a banner year for acorns, I have never seen the trees so productive…we’ve had deer and Turkey in the yard in numbers we have never seen. Anyway, the mower blade definitely needed the sharpening after dealing with those.

It's not so much the yard work, it's the thought of being in such close quarters with neighbors.

I like a little "space", even if I don't do anything in it.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
It's not so much the yard work, it's the thought of being in such close quarters with neighbors.

I like a little "space", even if I don't do anything in it.
yeah, me too. i like having a yard, cutting my lawn takes me 35 minutes, im just being lazy..

ADVERTISEMENT