ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA Enrollment Numbers

They now have to count all the kids that attend cyber, trade schools, etc.

Yea, they only had to count like 10% of those kids before. I guess the rationale was that those kids are unlikely to play sports. I would guess that WH lost a ton of kids to charter schools due Covid that they didnt have to count but now they do. What I dont understand though is if that charter school has a team, do they not have to count those kids? I am not aware of any charters having football but a ton have basketball. So if 20 WH kids go to one of those 80 Propel schools, do they still count on WH's books for basketball but not football?

Amazing that St Joe’s prep will still have the most amazing football players regardless of attendance. They are ruining it for every private school that does not recruit.

What private school doesn't recruit?
Most prestigious private schools like SJP, PCC, St. Eds, etc really don't recruit. The majority of those players come to those schools because their parents want them there for a variety of reasons.

The lower level private or non boundary schools is where you see recruiting. Look at GCC a few years ago, when everyone in Westmoreland County knew what they were doing. Bishop Canevin is another one. You see it on the other side of the state with Imhotep and Bishop McDevitt.

I would argue that the Archdiocese of Philadelphia schools do not recruit in football. However, I think they do for basketball.

I would argue that the Archdiocese of Philadelphia schools do not recruit in football. However, I think they do for basketball.
SJP isn't part of the archdiocese but they do recruit. They'll do it openly at the middle school level. They'll put out free "clinics" where potential recruits will get together and workout and they'll have parents talking to coaches etc..

I can't speak on Archbishop Wood but one would have to think that the run that started about 15 years ago had something to do with the CB West demise. Might be just purely anecdotal though.

Most prestigious private schools like SJP, PCC, St. Eds, etc really don't recruit. The majority of those players come to those schools because their parents want them there for a variety of reasons.

The lower level private or non boundary schools is where you see recruiting. Look at GCC a few years ago, when everyone in Westmoreland County knew what they were doing. Bishop Canevin is another one. You see it on the other side of the state with Imhotep and Bishop McDevitt.
when I went to Canevin (mid/late 90s) there were like 10 kids in the school who didn't come from a traditional feeder school. Now half those feeder schools are closed, the ones that remain are less than half their former size. And our sports looked just like most publics. We got a good group of athletic kids , we made a run. If not, we were average, as discipline meant we still beat some teams.

Now with kids who have no ties to the school, they win like crazy.

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
SJP isn't part of the archdiocese but they do recruit. They'll do it openly at the middle school level. They'll put out free "clinics" where potential recruits will get together and workout and they'll have parents talking to coaches etc..

I can't speak on Archbishop Wood but one would have to think that the run that started about 15 years ago had something to do with the CB West demise. Might be just purely anecdotal though.
CB West demise was the creation of CB South taking half the kids.

Reactions: bwh05
Well girls can now play boy's sports so every school should double their potential possible players!

That's kinda unbelievable regarding Woody High ... here is an article saying they had enrollment for 3A football less than two years ago: https://tribhssn.triblive.com/woodl...voluntarily-playing-in-higher-classification/. Where did all new boys enrolled come from?

Btw, the story out now is that Woodland Hills screwed up their enrollment numbers and is asking the PIAA to use their corrected numbers.

I don't know what that number would be, but what does it say for a school that they couldn't even count correctly? Maybe that's why so many of their potential students are taking classes elsewhere.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Btw, the story out now is that Woodland Hills screwed up their enrollment numbers and is asking the PIAA to use their corrected numbers.

I don't know what that number would be, but what does it say for a school that they couldn't even count correctly? Maybe that's why so many of their potential students are taking classes elsewhere.
Shocked that it was Woodland Hills that did it. Lol. Maybe thats why so many of their people flocked into westmoreland county when the district was formed.

How do they report an increase of 400 boys and 400 girls and not double check that? Word is they arent allowed to make a correction and will have to play 6A. However, that actually may be an easier classification with cupcakes Norwin, Hempfield, CM, etc. And CC moving down

How do they report an increase of 400 boys and 400 girls and not double check that? Word is they arent allowed to make a correction and will have to play 6A. However, that actually may be an easier classification with cupcakes Norwin, Hempfield, CM, etc. And CC moving down
Central Catholic is NOT moving down ..... they will play 6A in football the next two year cycle.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
They want to play their local rivals in 5A.

Did they not notice this error until they found out they were going to be in 6A?

Did they not notice this error until they found out they were going to be in 6A?
Schools just report their #'s. They won't know what class they're in until all of the schools report their numbers state-wide.

They were already playing up as a 3A school in 5A. Now they will be a 6A school in 6A. From 250 boys to 650. What a bunch of idiots.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Schools just report their #'s. They won't know what class they're in until all of the schools report their numbers state-wide.

Yeah, but if all the sudden you are reporting more than twice as many kids someone might think to themselves, gee, we ought to check that, it might not be right. But apparently not.

Woodland Hills reported 245 boys in the last cycle. This time they reported 638. And I get that they changed the way schools had to report cybers and all that, but how on earth did no one say, hey, hold on a second, where did nearly 400 more boys come from?

Reactions: Mikefln
I think they fixed what they got wrong. There were some schools whose enrollment numbers were a joke under the rules they were using.
Which brings up Southern Columbia. I always heard they manipulated their numbers to stay smaller. Not sure the truth to that, but that was the rumor. What are their numbers?

Which brings up Southern Columbia. I always heard they manipulated their numbers to stay smaller. Not sure the truth to that, but that was the rumor. What are their numbers?
The rumor that has went on for 20 years now, ever since they started winning state titles is that they have kids from the nearby vo tech who go to the vo tech and play football for SC but don't count towards enrollment #'s.

Not only is that false but it's ridiculous.

Columbia Montour Vo Tech is the school that everyone references as the school SC gets kids from when it's quite the opposite. CM votech serves all of county and is a full time school with it's own football team and athletic department. It's not even in the SC school district. The tech is located in the Bloomsburg school district.

Reactions: Mikefln
I think they fixed what they got wrong. There were some schools whose enrollment numbers were a joke under the rules they were using.

Belle Vernon got 2 state titles under the 10% rule. Now back to losing in the WPIAL semis in 4A.

St. Joe's and LaSalle are not Archdiocese schools, but private Catholic schools and they play in the Catholic league (District 12). Very good academic schools. They give all the other schools in the Archdiocese a bad name...guilt by association because they do recruit for certain sports like football.

Belle Vernon got 2 state titles under the 10% rule. Now back to losing in the WPIAL semis in 4A.
Central Valley will now have the chance to do the same thing. They weren't as strong as years past this year, but that is a program that's good every year. There isn't much top-end depth in 3A in the next cycle.

Central Valley will now have the chance to do the same thing. They weren't as strong as years past this year, but that is a program that's good every year. There isn't much top-end depth in 3A in the next cycle.

Right. 2 state titles coming up in 3A for Central Valley. Wont even have to break a sweat.

Well…if they would just stop taking players away from Monesson they wouldn’t have to worry about being in 4A.

They only take their best. BTW, Monessen only has 69 boys in grades 10-12 coming up. WTF happened? Its the smallest public school and not many are even close to it

Monessen 69
Avella 73
Mapletown 78
Cornell 88
Union 93
West Greene 94
Leechburg 94
Jeff Morgan 101

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT