ADVERTISEMENT

Pickett-Marion on Twitter

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001

FWIW, you guys are going to be wrong on Marion just like you were wrong on Josh Gattis. Its a different era. Those brash, cocky, tweeting WR coaches are a commodity.

Is Marion trying to get Jordan to play at Texas, or is he trying to date him?

It’s obvious that I don’t speak twitter.
tenor.gif

Whatever it takes. Keep Marion and keep an all-time great. Cignetti better be worth it
I think the only way Marion stayed is if he were promoted, and it’s best that didn’t happen. Regardless of the speculation that one receiver might have stayed another year.

No way did Pitt need an unproven OC who would likely torpedo the results Narduzzi worked so hard to build.

Marion is on his 7th different job in 8 yrs. He is a diva and it is clear many teams don’t want him around ….. hence the job changes. Maybe he should spend more time coaching and less time being a diva and maybe a head coach will promote him. He may have infected JA with the diva disease.

Addison, like most following this new and exciting NIL/Transfer path, is driven only by the sound of the cash register, not by the individuals who might be working it. I’ll add the requisite disclaimer “And I don’t blame him” just so everyone knows I’m not saying anything mean. If he’d happen to end up in Texas, it would be drawn there by the long green, not some loud mouth yahoo tweeting him.

Marion is on his 7th different job in 8 yrs. He is a diva and it is clear many teams don’t want him around ….. hence the job changes. Maybe he should spend more time coaching and less time being a diva and maybe a head coach will promote him. He may have infected JA with the diva disease.
Posts like this is why Marion enjoys trolling you guys.

Oh yeah. Definitely worth selling out your entire offense to keep one player.
Do we really know Marion was going to be that terrible? Canada came in with a whole new, vastly different offense with all those shifts and "eye candy" and it was the best in school history. Yea, Marion may have sucked but he also may not have. Cignetti is average and safe. Marion takes a risk but you get one of the best players in school history.

Do we really know Marion was going to be that terrible? Canada came in with a whole new, vastly different offense with all those shifts and "eye candy" and it was the best in school history. Yea, Marion may have sucked but he also may not have. Cignetti is average and safe. Marion takes a risk but you get one of the best players in school history.
Canada and Cignetti both had histories of having some success. Marion had only ever held one job at the P5 level seven years before coming to Pitt but yeah, the ACC champion should totally hand over the reigns to him.

For a guy who is constantly crying that Pitt doesn't go "all in" on football, suggesting a bush league move to retain one player is a bit weird.

Marion is on his 7th different job in 8 yrs. He is a diva and it is clear many teams don’t want him around ….. hence the job changes. Maybe he should spend more time coaching and less time being a diva and maybe a head coach will promote him. He may have infected JA with the diva
He went from pitt to Texas -
Seems to be working for him

Reactions: 4382 and APanther
All the while improving the receiving corps across the board and helping one win the Biletnikoff Award - so there's that. IJS.

The “Marion has a lot of jobs in a short time” doesn’t really mean much.

I always thought he was overrated in the sense that I didn’t really see much evidence that he was some elite recruiter or offensive mind. I’m not saying he isn’t those things. But I didn’t see much evidence for them.

But it’s not as if he’s made a bunch of lateral moves. Every one is a upward trajectory job that every coach would also take. To the point where he’s now the WR coach and passing game coordinator at one of the biggest programs in college football.

You can’t really use that against them.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
For those wanting Marion as OC, please provide comparisons of him vs Cignetti as OC and their history as an OC? You don’t keep/promote a coach just to keep one player, unless you really believe Marion is going to be a good OC beyond keeping one player.

What this crap does is provide false equivalency down the line for some, if Cignetti should fail to deliver an adequate offense. Take care to note that this would be exclusive to Cignetti, and does not mean that Marion should have been the hire.

If or when Marion becomes an OC somewhere else at a P5 program is the only time that anyone should attempt to visualize what an offense of his at Pitt might have been (even then it’s hardly apples to apples; no program is identical). If/until then, the focus should be solely on what the guy we actually hired is delivering.

Regarding the Addison impact, Pitt can’t make a hire on anything, particularly something as critical as the OC, based on one player who is only going be here 7 more months, particularly when the coach is ridiculously unproven for such a role. In a Narduzzi system, the OC is basically co-head coach.

Reactions: PITTfanSD
Funny giving this windbag so much credibility!

Here is his tweet:

There’s a rumor going round about me & you... Stirring up our lil town... The last week or 2... There’s a rumor going round round round what you say we make it true...​

Yes he is a real Mensa member!

oh....he started the rumor!

I love it when Marion refers to Pittsburgh as his hometown but almost no one remembered him as a player.
I never heard of him until Pitt hired him. Now, he won't go away.... I give him credit for his self promotion and being a good huckster.

They weren't promoting him to OC. It should be clear to everyone Narduzzi wants a veteran he can hand the keys to. When it became evident he started whining like a teenage girl. You learn a lot about people when things don't go their way.

Whatever it takes. Keep Marion and keep an all-time great. Cignetti better be worth it
Idiocy in its purest form… Players eventually leave regardless of who the position coach is. So you promote a guy who’s never been an OC just to keep a player for one year?????

nonsense….

Reactions: FireballZ
All the while improving the receiving corps across the board and helping one win the Biletnikoff Award - so there's that. IJS.
He deserves credit for that even if realistically it wasn't "all him"; he certainly had a positive impact on the group and did something right last year. If he was still Pitt receivers coach these same posters would be singing his praises for that very thing.

That said, he absolutely should not have been elevated to OC. He simply doesn't have the credentials for the job and Pitt coming off a great offensive season and returning a lot of offensive talent was in no position to roll the dice on an unproven OC.

Maybe he could have been given a pay bump and added co-OC to his job, at best.

Reactions: cashisking884
He went from pitt to Texas -
Seems to be working for him
A slight promotion. It’s Texas, not Alabama, Georgia, Ohio St. etc.
Shouldn’t he have been offered an OC position somewhere??
I’m curious was it intentional, or just a mistake that you capitalized Texas but not Pitt?
I guess in your line of work attention to detail is not important 🤷🏽‍♀️

Maybe he could have been given a pay bump and added co-OC to his job, at best.
Just a guess, and I'm going out on a limb here, but from some of the rumors, Marion's act wore pretty thin internally. Sub tweeting the boss probably didn't help. We can argue Cignetti vs Whipple all day but I think Underwood will make us forget Marion.

Why are you always wrong?

SMF would think it’s a great idea to hire a HS coach as OC if it means signing one of his 5 star players.

And each of those jobs could be considered promotions.

Cignetti's been with 5 teams in 8 years. I think BC is the only position where he wasn't shown the door in that stretch, including getting fired mid-season from the Rams after having the worst offense in the league that punted for more yards than offense in 7 out of 12 games.

Cignetti might be good, he might be great for Pitt. No idea, but let's not pretend his last few years have been stellar.

I think most on Pantherlair were singing the praises of Marion and the improvement of the receivers during the season....prior to his end o' year meltdown. I actually thought at one point last year that the plan might be to keep Whipple as OC for a few more years and gradually transfer more OC responsibilities to Marion. I guess behind the scenes stuff really torpedoed that possibility.

Reactions: jpklein
People on this board were not to happy with OC Whipple the first two years. Last year everything came together and Pitt had a big season. I don't know how much the coach helped with the wr group but they have more talent there than previous years. The two TEs were a lot better also.

SMF would think it’s a great idea to hire a HS coach as OC if it means signing one of his 5 star players.
No but I'd hire a HS coach to coach the WRs if he brought the Belitnikoff winner. Players are more important than coaches. In fact, I would hire HS coaches at every position if each brought a 1st Round pick.

Cignetti's been with 5 teams in 8 years. I think BC is the only position where he wasn't shown the door in that stretch, including getting fired mid-season from the Rams after having the worst offense in the league that punted for more yards than offense in 7 out of 12 games.

Cignetti might be good, he might be great for Pitt. No idea, but let's not pretend his last few years have been stellar.

I did not mention Cig in my post!

How did the Rams do the next year without Cignetti? I'll save you the effort... dead last in yards and points.

Maybe they just stunk.

You could also say he's been with 5 teams for 11 years since he was in LA for 4 years, but for some reason you didn't do that.

Reactions: Parkview57
How did the Rams do the next year without Cignetti? I'll save you the effort... dead last in yards and points.

Maybe they just stunk.

You could also say he's been with 5 teams for 11 years since he was in LA for 4 years, but for some reason you didn't do that.
Because that's the time frame that was used in the post I was replying to?

People throw out his transience as some sort of proof that he's unwanted or out of the norm. But I also didn't mention that they are in different stages of their careers with Marion rising through the ranks at the beginning of his career while Cignetti is established. When Cignetti was young he was with 7 teams in 11 years while he was establishing himself after leaving the job daddy gave him.

Again, nothing against Cig that's what most young college assistants do. Look at the majority of coordinators in college football and look back at their journey and you won't see many that stuck around as position coaches for more than 2 years. But some act like it's a moral failing for Marion to take a pay bump and promotion elsewhere when it was made clear he wouldn't be getting the promotion and would have to wait months before the final decision was announced.

But some act like it's a moral failing for Marion to take a pay bump and promotion elsewhere when it was made clear he wouldn't be getting the promotion and would have to wait months before the final decision was announced.
I think you missed the point. If there's any beef with Marion it's that he did some really weird crap on Twitter about Pitt's OC job. Nobody really cares why he left or where he went. It literally doesn't matter but it's not like he was ready to be an OC at this level.

Because that's the time frame that was used in the post I was replying to?

People throw out his transience as some sort of proof that he's unwanted or out of the norm. But I also didn't mention that they are in different stages of their careers with Marion rising through the ranks at the beginning of his career while Cignetti is established. When Cignetti was young he was with 7 teams in 11 years while he was establishing himself after leaving the job daddy gave him.

Again, nothing against Cig that's what most young college assistants do. Look at the majority of coordinators in college football and look back at their journey and you won't see many that stuck around as position coaches for more than 2 years. But some act like it's a moral failing for Marion to take a pay bump and promotion elsewhere when it was made clear he wouldn't be getting the promotion and would have to wait months before the final decision was announced.
I don’t think anyone holds it against any coach to job hop early in their careers. Certainly Pitt’s history is full of many famous ones who had brief cups of coffee with us.

It doesn’t seem as typical for those coaches to publicly pout, fume, and troll their former employer afterward, however. Perhaps it’s mostly geezers not appreciating the ways of the ‘new world’. I’m def guilty of that. But when a guy does that, it shouldn’t be unexpected that he gets met with a degree of F U’s from the followers of the former team, no matter what vintage of those fans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT