ADVERTISEMENT

Pickett , Rudolph and Steeler Qb’s

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
I got blasted here for defending Rudolph after the Lions game last year, when all he did was have the team in FG range in OT to win the game. But his teammates let him down all day and in OT.

so I’ll continue to defend my steeler QBs until they have any semblance of a running game, a defense and an OC with an NFL system.

Kenny’s getting blasted today for playing poorly. I’m sorry but I just don’t see it that way. They can’t line up and run the ball like they did when Ben was a rookie. The Steelers have no OL, average at best receivers, and the worst running back in the league. Not to mention a HS coach as an OC.

kenny (and Rudolph) doesn’t have:
Cowher and Wisenhunt coaching along with Whipple and arians on staff.
Faneca, Hartings, Smith and Sharks in the OL
Plaxico, Randall El and Hines at WR
Jerome Bettie and Duce Staley in the backfield

an all time great defense.

not to beat a dead horse. But I felt like venting due to the criticism of Kenny today.

Last edited:
Kenny was beyond terrible yesterday. It's OK to admit that. That doesn't mean he will suck forever, but he sucks right now. He's locking onto one guy, and missing plays. The offense clearly has more problems than at QB, but his yards per attempt are alarmingly bad, and he's turning it over at a high rate. The team defintely asks him to do too much, but he doesn't need to be shielded from all criticism- he has earned a lot of it.

If I’m Steelers decision maker this is what I’d do… Trade any player that has no future with the team. Hayward, Trubisky, Harris and Johnson for whatever you can get.

Then I would make Warren the #1 back. I would fire Canada.

Then, I would the give Mark Whipple a call and see if he would leave Nebraska immediately to become the OC. Pickett is familiar with him and I think it would help his development.

Kenny was beyond terrible yesterday. It's OK to admit that. That doesn't mean he will suck forever, but he sucks right now. He's locking onto one guy, and missing plays. The offense clearly has more problems than at QB, but his yards per attempt are alarmingly bad, and he's turning it over at a high rate. The team defintely asks him to do too much, but he doesn't need to be shielded from all criticism- he has earned a lot of it.
It’s ok to admit it, I know. I’m with you. But the offense is futile and it’s frankly bone dry everywhere you look. A QB isn’t going to play well with no running game, no pass protection and vs a D that doesn’t respect the run in the 1st half and doesn’t have to play the run in the 2nd. It’s bad but he’s not our problem. A HOF QB only averaged 20pts per game last year with this team.

Reactions: DruidTM
Rookie QBs typically play poorly in their first season. Plus, the Steelers aren't a very good team. They need to make a trade or two and rebuild with some more draft picks to go along with this year's likely top 5 selection.

None of the QBs are going to succeed in this offense. Rudolph has zero pocket presence. Trubisky takes no chances. Pickett turns the ball over too much. However, the scheme is garbage, the offensive line is still below average, and there’s no ground game.

What coaching geniuses think it’s a good idea to have a rookie QB throw the ball 35+ times a game? Ben is a future Hall of Famer and it took him to run a no huddle in the fourth to move the ball. None of these QBs are that good or even have the option to overcome this style of offense and personnel.

I got blasted here for defending Rudolph after the Lions game last year, when all he did was have the team in FG range in OT to win the game. But his teammates let him down all day and in OT.

so I’ll continue to defend my steeler QBs until they have any semblance of a running game, a defense and an OC with an NFL system.

Kenny’s getting blasted today for playing poorly. I’m sorry but I just don’t see it that way. They can’t line up and run the ball like they did when Ben was a rookie. The Steelers have no OL, average at best receivers, and the worst running back in the league. Not to mention a HS coach as an OC.

not to beat a dead horse. But I felt like venting due to the criticism of Kenny today.
But teh defense is so atrocious Kenny would have to be playing Brady-esque for any success. Opposing runners don’t get hit for the first five yards and opposing receivers often are three yards open.

None of the QBs are going to succeed in this offense. Rudolph has zero pocket presence. Trubisky takes no chances. Pickett turns the ball over too much. However, the scheme is garbage, the offensive line is still below average, and there’s no ground game.

What coaching geniuses think it’s a good idea to have a rookie QB throw the ball 35+ times a game? Ben is a future Hall of Famer and it took him to run a no huddle in the fourth to move the ball. None of these QBs are that good or even have the option to overcome this style of offense and personnel.
That’s a bingo. This is why you bite the bullet and play Warren on 1st and 2nd down in the next game and see if you can establish some kind of running game. If you do, I’ll guarantee Kenny will look better.

Reactions: Burgh15
The Steelers went the wrong way two yrs ago . Art Rooney Jr wanted an improved running game and my bet is that his wants forced them into the Najee pick . Then they doubled down on offense in Bens final yr taking Pat F in the second . I think both were decent picks under different circumstances. I believe Najee is hurting and combined with a poor OL is having a horrible yr . PF is a quality player , playing in a horrible offense . Then taking Kenny and Pickens ( who will be great ) this yr was doubling down on a huge mistake . The big boys win you games not the glamour boys . They desperately needed OL , DL and MLBs ..

Get the big boys in place , have a couple of substandard yrs and then draft the qb and other skill players when your drafting early .

If they only had asked me !

The Steelers went the wrong way two yrs ago . Art Rooney Jr wanted an improved running game and my bet is that his wants forced them into the Najee pick . Then they doubled down on offense in Bens final yr taking Pat F in the second . I think both were decent picks under different circumstances. I believe Najee is hurting and combined with a poor OL is having a horrible yr . PF is a quality player , playing in a horrible offense . Then taking Kenny and Pickens ( who will be great ) this yr was doubling down on a huge mistake . The big boys win you games not the glamour boys . They desperately needed OL , DL and MLBs ..

Get the big boys in place , have a couple of substandard yrs and then draft the qb and other skill players when your drafting early .

If they only had asked me !
They didn't take Najee because ARII wanted him. Tomlin did not hide his love for Najee from the start and he was the least surprising pick in the entire draft. It was just a terrible way to build the team for the future and they are paying for it now.

They didn't take Najee because ARII wanted him. Tomlin did not hide his love for Najee from the start and he was the least surprising pick in the entire draft. It was just a terrible way to build the team for the future and they are paying for it now.
Whose Tomlin‘s / Kevin Colbert’s boss . Smart people try and please the bosses .

Think they’re ever going to say we don’t love our first round pick ?

I’m not evening saying they didn’t really like Najee , but unless the rest of the nfl has it wrong you don’t spend a #1 pick on a rb unless he’s a generational talent .

If I’m Steelers decision maker this is what I’d do… Trade any player that has no future with the team. Hayward, Trubisky, Harris and Johnson for whatever you can get.

Then, I would the give Mark Whipple a call and see if he would leave Nebraska immediately to become the OC. Pickett is familiar with him and I think it would help his development.
If the Steelers bring Mark Whipple in as OC then the entire organization should be run out of Pittsburgh. QB coach, sure.

Reactions: Parkview57
Whose Tomlin‘s / Kevin Colbert’s boss . Smart people try and please the bosses .

I’m not evening saying they didn’t really like Najee , but unless the rest of the nfl has it wrong you don’t spend a #1 pick on a rb unless he’s a generational talent .
It wasn't about saying it, they showed it the entire process. That was a pure Tomlin/Colbert pick.

Rookie QBs typically play poorly in their first season. Plus, the Steelers aren't a very good team. They need to make a trade or two and rebuild with some more draft picks to go along with this year's likely top 5 selection.
Have you seen the results of the last 10 drafts.what makes you think the organization is capable of rebuilding a team.

I think you hire an OC with experience coaching QBs. Or maybe you take a chance and hire a well regarded QB coach (Canada was not) as OC like the Bears did with Getsy. There was a learning period there but it seems to be starting to pay off.

I don't think you go back to the Ben method of hiring the people he wants for OC. It's important that KP start to feel comfortable but there is always the chance he's not the guy long term.

Last edited:

Definitely. Geez, they even extended Edmunds, who is awful. A random FA could do better than Edmunds. As a random FA is excelling over Harris this season.

I would not hire Whipple, or any college coach for that matter. I think they either need to go with an experienced NFL play caller or an up-and-comer already at the NFL level. The two names I like are Frank Reich (assuming he gets fired) and Zac Robinson (Rams’ passing game coordinator and QB Coach).

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Kenny missed some wide open throws yesterday, including for touchdowns.

But there are major problems on offense and they're asking him to do way too much.

- Najee is a wasted pick (as I said 2 years ago) and worse still, he isn't even clearly the best RB on the team. No explosion.
- The OL gives up a ton of pressure.
- Dumb penalties.
- Scheme that makes it as difficult as possible for a rookie QB. Where are the bunch formations, the pick plays, the RPO, the play action? We don't try to confuse the defense at all.

I'm not super worried about Kenny. It's very difficult to evaluate him in this environment. The opponents - at Bills, at Eagles in particular - have also been completely brutal. Hopefully he turns it around against some weaker teams like the Falcons and Panthers.

Reactions: ShipofFools
I would not hire Whipple, or any college coach for that matter. I think they either need to go with an experienced NFL play caller or an up-and-comer already at the NFL level. The two names I like are Frank Reich (assuming he gets fired) and Zac Robinson (Rams’ passing game coordinator and QB Coach).

Those are good names. Best case scenario is Tomlin hires someone like Reich and takes a hands off approach to the offense, hiring a staff, etc... Don't think it will ever happen.

Those are good names. Best case scenario is Tomlin hires someone like Reich and takes a hands off approach to the offense, hiring a staff, etc... Don't think it will ever happen.
Best case scenario is that Tomlin walks away. The Rooney family isn't going to fire him. The man works for the kind of franchise where he could surround himself with the best of the best and instead he has a college OC and an inexperienced DC. The players know it. Pretty wild to hear a rookie QB talk about the lack of preparation by some of the players.

The Steelers went the wrong way two yrs ago . Art Rooney Jr wanted an improved running game and my bet is that his wants forced them into the Najee pick . Then they doubled down on offense in Bens final yr taking Pat F in the second .
Art is as bad as Jerry Jones with his meddling in the team, the coach decides offensive philosophy, not some lawyer who inherited a team from his dad

kenny is not playing well at all but neither did mitch, neither did Rudolph and neither did Ben last year. so there is a common theme here..

Best case scenario is that Tomlin walks away. The Rooney family isn't going to fire him. The man works for the kind of franchise where he could surround himself with the best of the best and instead he has a college OC and an inexperienced DC. The players know it. Pretty wild to hear a rookie QB talk about the lack of preparation by some of the players.
Tomlin will never be fired and we all know why. I am hoping they can somehow push him off to another team or allow another team to hire him so that the "rooney rule" steelers can save face by having it look like he left us and not vice versa..

Not sure it happens but that's the only way the steelers get out of the hole that they dug for themselves..

Best case scenario is that Tomlin walks away. The Rooney family isn't going to fire him.
And what is that this never fire the HC is starting to become a real joke, why do they do it? at this point it's like JUST BECAUSE, THAT'S WHY :)

Tomlin will never be fired and we all know why. I am hoping they can somehow push him off to another team or allow another team to hire him so that the "rooney rule" steelers can save face by having it look like he left us and not vice versa..

Not sure it happens but that's the only way the steelers get out of the hole that they dug for themselves..
So basically, it's racist to fire him, he didn't get enough of a chance, only 16 years :)

So basically, it's racist to fire him, he didn't get enough of a chance, only 16 years :)

I don't think they won't fire him for the reasons either of you are insinuating. I think it's more about the way the franchise has always run and saving face. They know the league knows that Tomlin isn't producing but they will collectively throw the franchise under the bus for firing him because "he's done nothing but win". I mean, Chuck Noll wasn't exactly doing the franchise any good the last several years but how do you fire a legend? Tomlin isn't nearly that good but in terms of today's NFL, it would be a difficult move to get away with.

Last edited:

Name 5 players on the stillers offense who are better at their position than Kenny?

Imo, right now the 5 best players on this offense are Pickens, Pickett, Warren, Johnson and Freiermuth.

See the problem?

kenny is not playing well at all but neither did mitch, neither did Rudolph and neither did Ben last year. so there is a common theme here..
Only difference is when Ben went no huddle in 4th quarters. An experienced HOf QB…

What is you don't fired an NFL with top 25 all time winning percentage?

Or is it you don't fired an NFL coach with the 6th best winning percentage among active coaches?

I don't think they won't fire him for the reasons either of you are insinuating. I think it's more about the way the franchise has always run and saving face. They know the league knows that Tomlin isn't producing but they will collectively throw the franchise under the bus for firing him because "he's done nothing but win". I mean, Chuck Noll wasn't exactly doing the franchise any good the last several years but how do you fire a legend? Tomlin isn't nearly that good but in terms of today's NFL, it would be a difficult move to get away with.
The "never fire the head coach" thing is almost becoming a parody of itself. Why is it worse to have 4 coaches in 53 years than 3? :)

100% agree that they kept the fat rapist way too long but none of that dispute having the 6th winningest active coach in the NFL. Good, bad or otherwise, his record is better than 82% of the other guys doing his job.
love tomlin apologists, you guys have an answer for everything..

Reactions: Pitt79
100% agree that they kept the fat rapist way too long but none of that dispute having the 6th winningest active coach in the NFL. Good, bad or otherwise, his record is better than 82% of the other guys doing his job.
Or the fat rapist was just so good that he was able to find ways to win, anyway, and the coach is getting credit he doesn't deserve.

For good, bad or indifferent, his success and failures were attached with the fat HOF rapist.

it’s funny, that Chris Carter and Terry Bradshaw clip is recirculating today…the one that Terry took heat for saying Tomlin was a cheerleader. Carter defended Tomlin in the discussion for having a bad defense because all their money was tied up in the offense. Well now 6 years later all the money is tied up in the defense, it still sucks, and the offense is worse…and the Steelers are further away now from contention than they ever were in my lifetime.

Tomlin’s win % will go down now because he doesn’t have a HOF QB…and it looks as though Tomlin’s legacy could now be tied to Kenny’s development. If they go 4-13 this year and say 6-11 next year, it will be interesting to see how he’s viewed then.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT