ADVERTISEMENT

Pickett

Stull was solid, no more - no less.
Agree he wasn't good he was solid. He had pretty good stats his senior year 65% completion and 21 Td's vs 8 picks. Considering the OL was pretty damn good his RB's and TE were very good and he had a first round NFL pick to throw to at WR, those stats are solid not great. He had safety valves in dickerson and ray graham. Give that team to a good QB and they are getting more than 21 TD's and 2700 yards.

He was good his sr year. Why are we upset at admitting this. I thought he was bad his jr year.
Because he wasn't a good QB, again he had pretty good stats but he had a great team around him and still wasn't dominate at all. He was really bad his JR year with 9 TD's and 10 picks. 21TD and 8 picks isn't a good year not when you have a first round pick at WR a future NFL fullback,Tailback and a TE who was good enough to be drafted in the 4th round and a really solid OL. Look at it this way people were saying max browne sucked but put him on that team and his stats are going to be pretty darn close to Stull's.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Because he wasn't a good QB, again he had pretty good stats but he had a great team around him and still wasn't dominate at all. He was really bad his JR year with 9 TD's and 10 picks. 21TD and 8 picks isn't a good year not when you have a first round pick at WR a future NFL fullback,Tailback and a TE who was good enough to be drafted in the 4th round and a really solid OL. Look at it this way people were saying max browne sucked but put him on that team and his stats are going to be pretty darn close to Stull's.
The only way brown puts up any thing close to those numbers is if he’s playing against rice every week

The only way brown puts up any thing close to those numbers is if he’s playing against rice every week
The talent on that team and playing against BE competition made it like playing against rice most weeks.There was 11 out of 22 starters who were drafted or played in the NFL, that was the most talented Pitt team since the late 80's, maybe even the early 80's.

Stull wasn't great, but people seem to act like he was Dinucci-caliber. He wasn't. I do think he held that team back from reaching its full potential but he was not a terrible QB like some think.

Stull wasn't great, but people seem to act like he was Dinucci-caliber. He wasn't. I do think he held that team back from reaching its full potential but he was not a terrible QB like some think.
Which is the point others and I made. He was a solid starting FBS QB his senior year. He wasn't great or good but solid. He didn't lose Pitt games but he didn't win Pitt any games either. I agree that he was much better than dinucci level. But he wasn't nearly as good as Peterman, Palko or even Savage.

Coming late to this thread, but I find it funny that Pickett is now being compared to Marino. I remember when he committed...this board was full of comments about how he was a lightly recruited guy who would transfer after a year or two after he realized he wasn't an ACC caliber QB.

Now, after ONE solid start....

Reactions: Las Panteras
Coming late to this thread, but I find it funny that Pickett is now being compared to Marino. I remember when he committed...this board was full of comments about how he was a lightly recruited guy who would transfer after a year or two after he realized he wasn't an ACC caliber QB.

Now, after ONE solid start....
Who is comparing him to Marino? I just reread thru this thread, not one single comparison to Marino.

One post said he could be the best qb since Marino, a few posts that said Marino was over rated, a few saying Marino sucked his sr year, one person talking about Marino sucking at punting. That’s it, not one single Marino - Pickett comparison.

Last edited:
His Junior year was the year he threw 37 TD's. It is hard to compare "seasons" strictly on statistics between then and now. Football is so wide open anymore, same with NFL, look at the statistics from QB's in say 1980 vs now.
Agree Recruits, Those 37 TD's was the most thrown in a season in college and NFL (which played more games). I believe that record stood for several years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT