ADVERTISEMENT

Pirates facing pressure to change name

For the people decrying the evils of “political correctness,” especially in the sports world, would you please explain to me how the Colin Kaepernick saga, and his being blackballed from his profession, was anything other than political correctness?
I can do that. Kaepernick was a back up quarterback whose production had dropped to the point that he lost his starting job. I would assume a team signing him would have to pay a fairly significant contract, due to the NFL rules regarding years of service, previous competition, etc. It's not really unreasonable that teams would not want to sign a player who would make minimal contributions while providing significant off-field distractions.

Reactions: Farnox
That’s exactly what’s happening with the Redskins right now.

Correct. It’s cute that some people seem to think that Snyder and/or the organization suddenly developed a conscience and just decided to be “politically correct” or “woke”. This has been off and on for a long time and they’ve done absolutely nothing. But they’ve never faced a threat like they’re facing now.

Reactions: Dr. von Yinzer
Corporations have no ethics or conscience — only a blind devotion to the bottom line. That is ultimately what did in Kaepernick and that is also what is doing in the Redskins and Indians nicknames too.

They're just not good for business.

However, don’t get it twisted, the exact same dynamics that drove the Kaepernick blackballing are what is driving these decisions too. They’re ALL rooted in political correctness, just coming from different ideological perspectives.

I know that’s going to be difficult for some people to accept or wrap their minds around, but if you think about it, it’s very obviously true.

To take it a step further, I think this one is even more cynical than that. The more I read about this situation, the more I am convinced that this was very likely all staged from the start.

It’s just moving too fast forward to have gone down any other way.

Dan Snyder is openly dead set against changing the team’s name for years and years and years; and then suddenly he gets a letter from FedEx and within hours it’s a done deal and they’re talking about new nicknames and logos?

That does not add up.

Also, FedEx is more than just a title sponsor. Fred Jones, FedEx’s CEO, is the second largest shareholder in the Redskins organization after only Dan Snyder.

I think the NFL and it’s corporate partners have probably been pressuring the Redskins behind the scenes to change their nickname for some time now. Also, I think Snyder desperately covets the old RFK Stadium land and he knows that the only way he’s ever going to get it is by changing the name.

However, this has become such a hot button issue that it’s hard for teams to make changes even if they want to, for fear of alienating half their fans no matter what they do.

This newly sparked civil rights movement provides them with the cover they’ve probably long sought.

Now, they can say to their fans of all ideologies, “We’re finally doing the right thing, but we didn’t do it to bow to political pressure from ‘woke hipsters.’ We did it because our corporate sponsors mandated it...and also because the timing was right to retire the nickname and blah, blah, blah.”

I think this one is a done deal. I also think it’s the right decision.

I’m slightly more conflicted on the Indians name change. Chief Wahoo has long been an embarrassing logo. The name itself though, is a somewhat more complicated issue.

Again though, if they were ever going to make a change, now is the time to do it because you have the political will right now to make it happen. Now, all they have to do is just create a bogeyman in the form of a corporation or a governmental entity and they‘ll be all set.

Last edited:
I’m slightly more conflicted on the Indians name change. Chief Wahoo has long been an embarrassing logo. The name itself though, is a somewhat more complicated issue.

I think that if there was never a Chief Wahoo logo and all they ever used was some form of a "C" or an "I" as their logo that it probably wouldn't be a big deal, but they used that logo for so long that the two are intertwined, even if they have sorta kinda but not really stopped using the logo.

The Braves are going to be in the same situation not because there is anything necessarily "wrong" with the nickname on it's own, but the nickname is associated with Chief Nock-a-homa for people who are a little older and the moronic tomahawk chop for everyone paying attention for the last several decades.

Snyder will make money whether he changes the name or not, he will just make more if he changes the name. It's just a team name and those against it will prevail. It's being proven everyday that the loudest wheel gets the most attention in this country and minority rules. Would someone please tell me what "woke" means. I never heard that word until the last few years and I always thought the people using it were making a mistake.

In a written statement, a representative from the Somalian Pirates said the Pittsburgh baseball team’s association to them is “offensive to pirates everywhere.”

well I rented a house off the daughter of George Marshall and was in business with her husband. She said many times her dad was a total racist against Indians. She feels the bane should be changed and she is the daughter ... so quite telling

Except I showed how revenue increased
Nor decreased
Hence no “losses”

I'm enjoying your foolishness.

Your pasted article shows nothing of the such and you are smart enough to know it.

The ranking of steeler players, and their aggregate revenue from Jersey sales is a long long way from the Steelers did not lose merch money post Kap.

They in fact did, regardless of where steeler Jersey sales are slotted.

You know this, but continue to whip the dead horse.

It's what you do.

Reactions: ddurm
I can't understand the uproar over team names,holy crap theres no way those names degrade any group.Braves,Indians,Etc.What a world anymore

I'm enjoying your foolishness.

Your pasted article shows nothing of the such and you are smart enough to know it.

The ranking of steeler players, and their aggregate revenue from Jersey sales is a long long way from the Steelers did not lose merch money post Kap.

They in fact did, regardless of where steeler Jersey sales are slotted.

You know this, but continue to whip the dead horse.

It's what you do.
I don’t know it
Because you haven’t provided any data

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT