ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt -15 over VT

neench

Freshman
Aug 17, 2001
I love Pitt but have taken the opposing team with points all year. The best was taking WVU plus 7.5. So now I see that it is Pitt -15.5. I really think Pitt is going to be fired up and I think this week Pitt is going to cover the spread.

Reactions: FireballZ
Pitt is not consistent and with the injuries, I wouldn't touch it.
Now VT gets hammered by WVU, gets tourched by UNC so, yes I get it but man, Pitt is so inconsistent...

Reactions: Saboteur II
Just beat their asses already…

ignore last week it’s gone

beat their asses and take the bye week

I took GT covering last week and taking VT this week. When Pitt is a large favorite, it's smart money to take the other team.

I love Pitt but have taken the opposing team with points all year. The best was taking WVU plus 7.5. So now I see that it is Pitt -15.5. I really think Pitt is going to be fired up and I think this week Pitt is going to cover the spread.
Won't matter honestly.

Can’t see this team covering such a spread. It lacks the mental and physical toughness. 3 point favorite for the home field is the most that should be given.

Reactions: Millerton24
Pitt should whip them, but not if Cignetti's gameplan is to line up in that goalline formation most of the game, which will keep the score close.

I just don't see this Pitt team, even with a full roster, covering. I see possibly a 7 point win or less. Too many inconsistencies on both sides of the ball. We're just not nearly as good as we were led to believe at the beginning of the season and definitely not top 50, let alone top 25.

I just don't see this Pitt team, even with a full roster, covering. I see possibly a 7 point win or less. Too many inconsistencies on both sides of the ball. We're just not nearly as good as we were led to believe at the beginning of the season and definitely not top 50, let alone top 25.
Many will scream at naysayer posters. Well, this is what happens after a couple disappointing games (RI would have been a loss if playing a P5 or even a decent G5 team). Especially after a season began with high expectations. And this would be true anywhere, it’s not just a “Pitt PTSD thing.” Fans will process what they have seen (which hasn’t been good), and will have serious doubts about the rest of the year. The players no doubt have serious doubts, as well…it was a terrible performance across the board. It’s now up to this (very well compensated) staff to fix this. It’s really not a situation Duz and co have had before despite all his seasons here(starting with really high expectations followed by disappointment), so it will be interesting.

Many will scream at naysayer posters. Well, this is what happens after a couple disappointing games (RI would have been a loss if playing a P5 or even a decent G5 team). Especially after a season began with high expectations. And this would be true anywhere, it’s not just a “Pitt PTSD thing.” Fans will process what they have seen (which hasn’t been good), and will have serious doubts about the rest of the year. The players no doubt have serious doubts, as well…it was a terrible performance across the board. It’s now up to this (very well compensated) staff to fix this. It’s really not a situation Duz and co have had before despite all his seasons here(starting with really high expectations followed by disappointment), so it will be interesting.
Staff has done a terrible job at letting all of these starters get hurt.

Pitt is not consistent and with the injuries, I wouldn't touch it.
Now VT gets hammered by WVU, gets tourched by UNC so, yes I get it but man, Pitt is so inconsistent...
I just wonder, even though they appear to be bad: is VT really going to get blown out for a third consecutive week?

Conversely, I know we’re down on them, but is Pitt really going to lose a second consecutive week at home to another bottom tier ACC team?

I say no to both and something like 23-13 Pitt. Low scoring and not quite covering.

I thought we were told we have great depth!!! If a starter gets hurt, we were told there are multiple guys ready to step up and perform. But they haven't and we don't.

It's not just the losses. It's how we're losing and how we're winning, for that matter. Against GT, you'd think it was a close game. It wasn't. GT outplayed us for most of the game, except for the final minutes, and we were outcoached by a rookie interim head coach. I have yet to see this Pitt team put any kind of consistent game together for even 2 or 3 quarters. Our line play, both on offense and defense, has been poor. Except for occasional flashes from RB's against much inferior competition, our offensive skill positions are no shows.

I'm sorry, but this Pitt team isn't anywhere near as good as they were hyped to be. Not even close. Until they demonstrate some semblance of life in upcoming games, I don't see them winning more than 6 games this year, and that's being generous.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I thought we were told we have great depth!!! If a starter gets hurt, we were told there are multiple guys ready to step up and perform. But they haven't and we don't.

It's not just the losses. It's how we're losing and how we're winning, for that matter. Against GT, you'd think it was a close game. It wasn't. GT outplayed us for most of the game, except for the final minutes, and we were outcoached by a rookie interim head coach. I have yet to see this Pitt team put any kind of consistent game together for even 2 or 3 quarters. Our line play, both on offense and defense, has been poor. Except for occasional flashes from RB's against much inferior competition, our offensive skill positions are no shows.

I'm sorry, but this Pitt team isn't anywhere near as good as they were hyped to be. Not even close. Until they demonstrate some semblance of life in upcoming games, I don't see them winning more than 6 games this year, and that's being generous.
Just as clueless about football as you are about basketball, ya old grump.

See a lot of "don't see this Pitt team coverings" out here...should be a lot of big money winners by Saturday evening...easy money, eh?

The Tennessee loss can legitimately be attributed to the injuries (and officiating).

The WMU game was actually somewhat impressive, given the need to use the fourth string QB, the first road game, having lost to that same team the year before, and the inevitable hangover from starting the season with two very challenging high pressure games. I came away from that still hopeful for really good things.

RI and then GT really put a smack down on that optimism. Injuries definitely have been a factor, but the team just lacks a certain something.

I think the biggest problem is the poor offensive identity (or lack thereof); it is entirely passive and unimaginative and the team has taken that attitude these past two weeks. But a close second has been a defense that believed it’s preseason accolades too much, and has shown it can’t be counted on to make stops or turn the ball over at critical times.

Followed by the often forgotten liability that the kicking game has become…punting is a joke, and missed FGs having cost one game already, and directly influenced a couple high risk (aka foolhardy) fourth down decisions last week, due ton the lack of confidence. Meanwhile GT had a kicker who hadn’t made a kick in something like two years, yet went 4-4 on FG in the “toughest stadium for kicking”.

The WMU game was actually somewhat impressive, given the need to use the fourth string QB, the first road game, having lost to that same team the year before, and the inevitable hangover from starting the season with two very challenging high pressure games. I came away from that still hopeful for really good things.

RI and then GT really put a smack down on that optimism. Injuries definitely have been a factor, but the team just lacks a certain something.

I think the biggest problem is the poor offensive identity (or lack thereof); it is entirely passive and unimaginative and the team has taken that attitude these past two weeks. But a close second has been a defense that believed it’s preseason accolades too much, and has shown it can’t be counted on to make stops or turn the ball over at critical times.

Followed by the often forgotten liability that the kicking game has become…punting is a joke, and missed FGs having cost one game already, and directly influenced a couple high risk (aka foolhardy) fourth down decisions last week, due ton the lack of confidence. Meanwhile GT had a kicker who hadn’t made a kick in something like two years, yet went 4-4 on FG in the “toughest stadium for kicking”.

Yeah, I don't buy injuries as an excuse for last week. A team with that lame duck coach that had lost its last four P5 games like 1,000,000 - negative 42 had every reason to quit in an 8:00 game in the rain.

On top of that, we really didn't have all that many significant injuries last week. A handful, yes. But if you can't overcome a center who shouldn't have even been starting, your 4th DE, a few running backs, etc. against a team you're favored to beat by 23, I don't know what to tell you. Alexandre, Bartholomew, Danielson, and Wayne were all back. Warren was out, too, but most of these guys wouldn't even be able to be on the roster to begin with if not for the Covid thing. Just not a great excuse, in my opinion. Tennessee, yes. But not this one.

Yeah, I don't buy injuries as an excuse for last week. A team with that lame duck coach that had lost its last four P5 games like 1,000,000 - negative 42 had every reason to quit in an 8:00 game in the rain.

On top of that, we really didn't have all that many significant injuries last week. A handful, yes. But if you can't overcome a center who shouldn't have even been starting, your 4th DE, a few running backs, etc. against a team you're favored to beat by 23, I don't know what to tell you. Alexandre, Bartholomew, Danielson, and Wayne were all back. Warren was out, too, but most of these guys wouldn't even be able to be on the roster to begin with if not for the Covid thing. Just not a great excuse, in my opinion. Tennessee, yes. But not this one.
Injuries aren't THE excuse but they are definitely killing this team.

Honestly, they came out flat and I think thee players thought they were just going to go out and win without too much trouble. Can't do that with a team that has nothing to lose. But, GT came out and stacked the box and decided to make Pitt bet them in the air. Took a quarter to figure that out, apparently, but Pitt could never connect with it's passing game and that is a killer. And even if those guys were back, it doesn't mean they're healthy and I think it showed. They have a mess right now. Have to sort it out. GT gets some credit, too.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
Injuries aren't THE excuse but they are definitely killing this team.

Honestly, they came out flat and I think thee players thought they were just going to go out and win without too much trouble. Can't do that with a team that has nothing to lose. But, GT came out and stacked the box and decided to make Pitt bet them in the air. Took a quarter to figure that out, apparently, but Pitt could never connect with it's passing game and that is a killer. And even if those guys were back, it doesn't mean they're healthy and I think it showed. They have a mess right now. Have to sort it out. GT gets some credit, too.

I didn't even think GT played particularly well. They were horrible on offense until we finally gave up and were throwing shoulders instead of wrapping guys up. We came out trying to throw three times, but that didn't go too well. We needed to use the Rhode Island game to start making this fun for some guys and get them engaged. I'm fine with treating the WMU game as we did after losing two quarterbacks. But Rhode Island needed to be more of a run-up-the-score-and-have-fun game than a let's-just-run-the-ball-and-get-out-of-here game.

I didn't even think GT played particularly well. They were horrible on offense until we finally gave up and were throwing shoulders instead of wrapping guys up. We came out trying to throw three times, but that didn't go too well. We needed to use the Rhode Island game to start making this fun for some guys and get them engaged. I'm fine with treating the WMU game as we did after losing two quarterbacks. But Rhode Island needed to be more of a run-up-the-score-and-have-fun game than a let's-just-run-the-ball-and-get-out-of-here game.
GT didn't play that well on offense. There defense is decent and hasn't really been their problem. I'm just not sure you can do much of anything with RI thrown in when it was other than to just get healthy. Look, I'm not convinced that part of the problem with the passing game isn't the fact that you have too many guys who are just unfamiliar. Really think they have to step back and simplify the passing game until they can get some confidence. But I don't know long you try to get them involved in the offense before you have to go to something that is at least working well enough that you can try to flip the field and let your defense help you out?

GT didn't play that well on offense. There defense is decent and hasn't really been their problem. I'm just not sure you can do much of anything with RI thrown in when it was other than to just get healthy. Look, I'm not convinced that part of the problem with the passing game isn't the fact that you have too many guys who are just unfamiliar. Really think they have to step back and simplify the passing game until they can get some confidence. But I don't know long you try to get them involved in the offense before you have to go to something that is at least working well enough that you can try to flip the field and let your defense help you out?

Something tells me there is a reason why Bub Means is as physically gifted as he is and has had the career he's had.

1) Moved to DB. Does that dude look like a DB? A safety, maybe, but I'm pretty sure he played corner (i.e. what we tried to do with Ford at first when he was physically gifted but didn't have the defense down yet).

2) 22 catches for 430 yards last season at LA Tech. Aka... just run straight, and hopefully we'll find you.

And given Barden's (lack of) playing time, maybe he isn't lagging behind very in the mental gaffes department. It's not like he doesn't have the physical tools. Combine all that with Bradley's seemingly 50% drop rate, and I can't help but wonder if our receivers have it between the ears.

I wonder the same thing with our outside linebackers. I don't think it's a physical thing, as we've heard numerous times how Kamara and DeShields "look the part."

I wonder it with our QB. Maybe the receivers aren't running the right routes, but it sure looks like he isn't calling the right protections, identifying the hot reads, processing quickly enough, feeling the pressure, etc.

That's this season in a nutshell, to me. It's the Paris Ford 2020 campaign, except at multiple positions.

It’s been proven over and over and over that a mid level program like ours can’t succeed with a 1970’s Nebraska offensive philosophy. We will never have the beefcake up front and rarely the truly elite RB. Duz shouldn’t take it personally. Paul Chryst couldn’t make it work at Wishy even with far better OL and RB. It doesn’t work in 2022. Players of today lack the discipline and fortitude to keep after it, they need instant gratification and excitement. We can only win in sufficient numbers by being more clever and by putting the opponents on their heels, like we did (with two very different kinds of schemes but similar in their aggressiveness) in 2016 and 2021.

Reactions: revampedpanthers
I can somewhat understand losing to UT, a top 10 team, even though we could have just as easily won that game. But losing to GT is just inexcusable. There aren't any excuses regardless of injuries if we were as deep as touted. Even if we weren't, they're a mess and we still should have beaten them by double digits. The common denominator is coaching and lack of preparation. I sure hope that Pitt at least has a pulse this Saturday, but I'm not all that confident they will.

I can somewhat understand losing to UT, a top 10 team, even though we could have just as easily won that game. But losing to GT is just inexcusable. There aren't any excuses regardless of injuries if we were as deep as touted. Even if we weren't, they're a mess and we still should have beaten them by double digits. The common denominator is coaching and lack of preparation. I sure hope that Pitt at least has a pulse this Saturday, but I'm not all that confident they will.

There really hasn't been a game this year where we looked impressive. Five games into the season, that's as telling as anything. We see how bad WVU is. And WMU absolutely sucks, too. We pretty much did to them what MSU did to them... and it turns out that MSU sucks.

I think a lot of us fans keep waiting for us to "figure it out," but is there anything to figure out, or is this who we are? I mean, the season is almost half way complete.

There really hasn't been a game this year where we looked impressive. Five games into the season, that's as telling as anything. We see how bad WVU is. And WMU absolutely sucks, too. We pretty much did to them what MSU did to them... and it turns out that MSU sucks.

I think a lot of us fans keep waiting for us to "figure it out," but is there anything to figure out, or is this who we are? I mean, the season is almost half way complete.
look on the bright side...everyone remaining on the schedule pretty much sucks and Pitt still sits with about a 35% chance of winning the crappiest division in all of college football once again..

look on the bright side...everyone remaining on the schedule pretty much sucks and Pitt still sits with about a 35% chance of winning the crappiest division in all of college football once again..

Everyone? Duke is better than us, and so is Syracuse. At L'ville and at UNC will both be very difficult games to win for us. Miami is disappointing, but they're still better than us and always give us challenges. Maybe we can pull out a win against UVA. I don't see a game on our schedule where we should be favorites or where we are a favorite and comfortable in winning. I'll give you that everyone else on our schedule sucks, but we suck more right now.

When we do win a game, like we did with wvu, we looked bad. wvu is terrible and we should have beaten them by 21. We have shown no indication of being a decent team on either side of the ball.

That's what really pisses me off about that GT game. Miami sucks but has to play Clemson and FSU. UNC has to play NC State and Wake. Should have been a cake walk to win the division. Not sure if I see it after giving away GT at home, though.

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
Everyone? Duke is better than us, and so is Syracuse. At L'ville and at UNC will both be very difficult games to win for us. Miami is disappointing, but they're still better than us and always give us challenges. Maybe we can pull out a win against UVA. I don't see a game on our schedule where we should be favorites or where we are a favorite and comfortable in winning. I'll give you that everyone else on our schedule sucks, but we suck more right now.

When we do win a game, like we did with wvu, we looked bad. wvu is terrible and we should have beaten them by 21. We have shown no indication of being a decent team on either side of the ball.

Hahahaahahahahahahahaaha

The Pitt OL has to figure out how to become Nebraska’s 1988 OL.

GT didn’t massively outplay PITT… they spent much of the game tripping over their dicks…. They had 9 points by the second half. The problem was PITT on offense tripped on their dicks even worse… it wasn’t an outclassed situation it was barely a football game… if Pitts offense had done anything it should have been 21-3 or 21-6 halftime.

Reactions: revampedpanthers
GT didn’t massively outplay PITT… they spent much of the game tripping over their dicks…. They had 9 points by the second half. The problem was PITT on offense tripped on their dicks even worse… it wasn’t an outclassed situation it was barely a football game… if Pitts offense had done anything it should have been 21-3 or 21-6 halftime.

Agree with all that, but that's what makes it all the more depressing. WMU played well last season. Way over their heads, I assume.

GT is a shit team that played exactly as advertised. The fact that we lost to THAT, well...

Reactions: DruidTM
The easiest way would be the way that Nebraska did it. And that involves a syringe.

I think I get what you're saying...

If we vaccinate Borberly's cat for rabies, he'll be able to spend less time worrying about little Butter cup becoming the feline Cujo and more time teaching Kradel how to call a protection.

The games do seem they’ll be more challenging than initially thought, but some people really need to pump the brakes a bit on Duke and Syracuse. Then again, they’re at home and it sure does feel like Pitt has been a lot worse at home than on the road lately. Maybe not a bad thing we get UNC and Miami on the road?

That loss last week really destroyed our fan base’s optimism for the year; it kind of ended the season in a way. I’m still attending Saturday and will watch the games this year. But I can’t just shake the bad vibes.
Apparently it was destroyed before last Saturday because the crowd for GT was pathetic.

It didn't take much to outplay Pitt last Saturday. That was my point. If we continue with our inept play, that will be the story the rest of the year.

I agree....I fully expected Pitt to be up on GT by at least 21-3 by halftime. I didn't expect GT to score more than 10 points in the entire game and expected Pitt to score 42. But I was fooled into believing we were a good football team.

It didn't take much to outplay Pitt last Saturday. That was my point. If we continue with our inept play, that will be the story the rest of the year.

I agree....I fully expected Pitt to be up on GT by at least 21-3 by halftime. I didn't expect GT to score more than 10 points in the entire game and expected Pitt to score 42. But I was fooled into believing we were a good football team.
Cig’s scheme is the Great Equalizer when playing an inferior foe. It’s relatively simple to stop, and thus gives a demoralized team a boost each time they leave the field having stoned us with a three and out. That was painfully clear by mid first quarter last week. But incredibly our coaches thought they’d just string things out, string things out, and string things out even further, and eventually win 13-10. That gave an opponent that basically was begging to have a foot affixed to its neck to feel it actually had some chance, and by the end it was their boot on our neck. It would have been funny if it weren’t pathetic once GT was comfortably ahead with four min to go, that we finally “threw caution to the wind” and, gasp, began executing plays that were designed in this century.

ADVERTISEMENT