ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt 24 in ap

ThePanthers

Head Coach
May 4, 2009
Dropped 3 spots from last week but 6 big 10 and pac 12 teams were inserted now that they are eligible.

Dropped 3 spots from last week but 6 big 10 and pac 12 teams were inserted now that they are eligible.

With all conference games being played, all those teams will start beating each other soon, too. B1G won't be able to fatten up on weak OOC teams like in previous years. Have to see what impact that has.

Reactions: pitt-girl
Well Oklahoma and Texas are the two teams that were ahead of them that the moved over. Do you not agree that Notre Dame should be ranked higher than both of those two after this past weekend?

Why was Texas ranked high in the first place. They finished 8-5 last year and in the top 10? Please.

But go ahead... support the Domers.

The polls are a joke. The Big10 and Pac12 teams haven't even played but are well entrenched into the polls. The biggest problem is that the sports writers who cover these teams always vote with extreme bias.

Come on. If Pitt and ND were reversed, you know Pitt wouldn't move up 3 spots without playing.

Just so we are on the same page here, you are complaining that Notre Dame moved ahead of Texas in the poll, and you are also complaining that Texas was ranked ahead of Notre Dame in the first place.

Pitt moves into Coaches Poll at #25.

VT ranked #23 in Coaches, but dropped out of AP pool (now #26) after shellacking NC State when 23 Hokies, including their starting QB, and 3 coaches had to sit for Covid.

Reactions: pbrad
By the way, fun fact, Notre Dame moved up two spots without playing. The last time that I can find with a quick search that Pitt had an off week while in the AP rankings was in December of 2016. Pitt was 24th in the poll after winning their last regular season game against Syracuse (the 76-61 game), and then after not playing the following week Pitt, wait for it, move up two spots to 22.

The time before that when it happened was in 2009, when Pitt moved up to 16 after hammering South Florida. And then after not playing the following week Pitt, wait for it again, moved up two spots to 14.

I mean really, does anyone think that a team moving up two spots in the rankings while not playing is some sort of unusual occurance that only happens for Notre Dame?

Just so we are on the same page here, you are complaining that Notre Dame moved ahead of Texas in the poll, and you are also complaining that Texas was ranked ahead of Notre Dame in the first place.

No. I'm making fun of the polling. Why was Texas ranked so high? They were 8-5 last year. Why was LSU ranked so high when they returned 2 starters. Minn didn't play and fell out, yet PSU didn't play and entered the top 10. It's easy to make fun of it.

No. I'm making fun of the polling. Why was Texas ranked so high? They were 8-5 last year. Why was LSU ranked so high when they returned 2 starters.

So to prove that you aren't complaining about Notre Dame being ranked behind Texas and LSU in the first place you complain about Notre Dame being ranked behind Texas and LSU in the first place.

Round and round we go, and where it stops, certainly no one with any sanity knows.

Reactions: ThePanthers
So to prove that you aren't complaining about Notre Dame being ranked behind Texas and LSU in the first place you complain about Notre Dame being ranked behind Texas and LSU in the first place.

Round and round we go, and where it stops, certainly no one with any sanity knows.

ND is consistently overrated. Want to dispute that please go ahead.

Reactions: Millerton
Should Pitt really be a top 20 team at this point in the season all things related to covid aside? They beat teams they should have beaten and there is a giant ? still surrounding the team’s offensive abilities. If they beat NC State and BC they’ll be top 20 heading into the identity game against Miami....who will by the way be coming off their Clemson game. They have 2 weeks to figure out how to run an offense. Let’s be thankful they are in the top 25 for the first time in years.

ND is consistently overrated. Want to dispute that please go ahead.

Ok, I will take a stab at it, since you asked:

ND is 35-6 since 2016. It has gone 25-3 since 2017. It has had double digit win totals in 4 of the last 5 years.

How many other programs, overrated, underrated or not rated, has that type of record?

(BTW, not a single FCS game opponent in that total)

It has won 8 in a row, tied for first in the nation in that category.

It has won 20 home games in a row, 2nd highest streak in ND history.

It is 15-1 against ACC teams the past three plus regular seasons.

(How many other programs except Clemson has that type of ACC record ?)

It was in the College Football Playoffs in 2018 and it made the BCS National Championship game in 2012.

It has had two undefeated regular seasons in the past 8 years.

(How many other programs have done that in that time frame?)

ND is 94-37 under Brian Kelly.

(8 of those losses came in an outlier 2016, almost a quarter of ND's loss total in 11 years)

That doesn't seem like an "overrated" program to me, at least since 2012.

(I suspect that if its name wasn't "Notre Dame" but some other program, you just might agree. Just a guess, though)

P.S. Ohio State is ranked #6 and has yet to play a single game, but hey, lets complain about ND.

Last edited:

ND is 35-6 since 2016. It has gone 25-3 since 2017. It has had double digit win totals in 4 of the last 5 years.

How many other programs, overrated, underrated or not rated, has that type of record?

It was in the College Football Playoffs in 2018 and it made the BCS National Championship game in 2012.

(8 of those losses came in an outlier 2016, almost a quarter of ND's loss total in 11 years)

(I suspect that if its name wasn't "Notre Dame" but some other program, you just might agree. Just a guess, though)

P.S. Ohio State is ranked #6 and has yet to play a single game, but hey, lets complain about ND.

You are doing some cherry pickin there. The had a couple of good years, but still didn't do well against ranked teams.

And oh yeah.... beginning vs. end of year. Like I said... CONSISTENTLY overrated. In fact, they are the MOST overrated program statistically.

K1zUyS5.png

Should Pitt really be a top 20 team at this point in the season all things related to covid aside? They beat teams they should have beaten and there is a giant ? still surrounding the team’s offensive abilities. If they beat NC State and BC they’ll be top 20 heading into the identity game against Miami....who will by the way be coming off their Clemson game. They have 2 weeks to figure out how to run an offense. Let’s be thankful they are in the top 25 for the first time in years.
You realize that pitt has been ranked in the top 25 4 out of the last 5 seasons at some point. It hasn't been years since they were ranked.

You are doing some cherry pickin there. The had a couple of good years, but still didn't do well against ranked teams.

And oh yeah.... beginning vs. end of year. Like I said... CONSISTENTLY overrated. In fact, they are the MOST overrated program statistically.

K1zUyS5.png

I "cherry picked" nothing. I merely posted won/loss records from the Kelly years.

Those numbers are true and correct, no spin or opinion.

My guess is that if Pitt had anywhere near the numbers ND has put up in the past few seasons, you would be adamant that Pitt was a dominate program deserving of praise and high ranking.

Take care.

I "cherry picked" nothing. I merely posted won/loss records from the Kelly years.

Those numbers are true and correct, no spin or opinion.

My guess is that if Pitt had anywhere near the numbers ND has put up in the past few seasons, you would be adamant that Pitt was a dominate program deserving of praise and high ranking.

Take care.
Its not worth it with him.

Reactions: TerryD44
Come on. If Pitt and ND were reversed, you know Pitt wouldn't move up 3 spots without playing.
College football is stupid, there's never been a true champion. outside years when only one unbeaten was left and was the winner, so many years are illegitimate where pedigrees or optometrists (eye tests) handed out the trophy

Are those plyers from 2016 still on the team? Previous seasons should not be a consideration ever

You realize that pitt has been ranked in the top 25 4 out of the last 5 seasons at some point. It hasn't been years since they were ranked.

My apologies. I should be more accurate with my words. In 2018 they were ranked once in week 13 at #24. In 2016 twice week 14(24) and 15(22). In 2015 twice week 7(25) and 8(23). Prior to that 2010.

With that overall meager presence in the top 25 and the fact that they have not been in the top 20, in season, in the last decade, I can see why the AP writers and coaches don’t have them much higher than 24 or 25. It’s an image problem that is only fixed by winning with regularity and beating formidable opponents. Let’s hope this season reestablishes the Program.

Reactions: gopitt1976

anyone have the link to Styx's "too much time on my hands"?

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
My apologies. I should be more accurate with my words. In 2018 they were ranked once in week 13 at #24. In 2016 twice week 14(24) and 15(22). In 2015 twice week 7(25) and 8(23). Prior to that 2010.

With that overall meager presence in the top 25 and the fact that they have not been in the top 20, in season, in the last decade, I can see why the AP writers and coaches don’t have them much higher than 24 or 25. It’s an image problem that is only fixed by winning with regularity and beating formidable opponents. Let’s hope this season reestablishes the Program.
The last decade? What does 2013 or 2017 have to do with RIGHT NOW? None of that should be considered, Teams shouldn't get credit for anything that happened before week 1 of the current season. Optometrist "writers" doing "eye tests" and saying "well they haven't won a top 20 spot in our POPULARITY POLLS for a decade" shouldn't be considered. just what happened THIS YEAR.

Notre Dame pays him by the hour to read every post on the Pitt board, and then to post propaganda spin anytime Norte Dame is mentioned.

I wish. No, I grew up near Uniontown so I check out the Pitt board.

After all, we are no "conference brethren" and all this year. :)

Take care.

I wish. No, I grew up near Uniontown so I check out the Pitt board.

After all, we are no "conference brethren" and all this year. :)

Take care.
I stand corrected, then. But, honestly, I don't know if knowing that you do it for free puts you in a better or worse light. :)

The last decade? What does 2013 or 2017 have to do with RIGHT NOW? None of that should be considered, Teams shouldn't get credit for anything that happened before week 1 of the current season. Optometrist "writers" doing "eye tests" and saying "well they haven't won a top 20 spot in our POPULARITY POLLS for a decade" shouldn't be considered. just what happened THIS YEAR.

The season is 4 weeks in and they have played 1 semi-relevant team. Polls at this point are based on program reputation. That’s the reality. The AP and Coach’s poll have been like that for years...hence the development of the computer algorithm, BCS and playoff. We aren’t going to change the system. The answer is simple. Just win.

I am a Pitt alum twice over. I love Pitt football. I have followed the program for 40 years. Sometimes we need a reality check. This is one of those times. So until we go 5-0, don’t hold your breath on a top 20 ranking. Even if blessed with a 6-0 record, which includes a Miami win, there is a chance we won’t be in the top 15 pending the outcome of Clemson-Miami the week prior.

Reactions: ThePanthers
The season is 4 weeks in and they have played 1 semi-relevant team. Polls at this point are based on program reputation. That’s the reality. The AP and Coach’s poll have been like that for years...hence the development of the computer algorithm, BCS and playoff. We aren’t going to change the system. The answer is simple. Just win.

I am a Pitt alum twice over. I love Pitt football. I have followed the program for 40 years. Sometimes we need a reality check. This is one of those times. So until we go 5-0, don’t hold your breath on a top 20 ranking. Even if blessed with a 6-0 record, which includes a Miami win, there is a chance we won’t be in the top 15 pending the outcome of Clemson-Miami the week prior.
That's why college football is stupid, and there's almost never a true champion.

Just win, like next week, so we get to be #15 in September of 2027?

Yeah, it's a stupid sport.

And yet here you are.
But I just watch it as if Pitt is the only team on the planet, and never look at the bigger picture, I don't watch the playoffs, I never watch any SEC or B1G or B12 games, maybe some ACC because it's Pitt's league, and if I watch any games other than Pitt it's usually Army, Navy, G5 or anything weird, never the mainstream P5 and especially never ND. I watch college football as if there is no other league other than ACC, and never watch entire games unless Pitt is in the game.

But I just watch it as if Pitt is the only team on the planet, and never look at the bigger picture, I don't watch the playoffs, I never watch any SEC or B1G or B12 games, maybe some ACC because it's Pitt's league, and if I watch any games other than Pitt it's usually Army, Navy, G5 or anything weird, never the mainstream P5 and especially never ND. I watch college football as if there is no other league other than ACC, and never watch entire games unless Pitt is in the game.

And yet here you are.

ADVERTISEMENT