ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Adding Women's Lacrosse

“Lyke will hire the first women's lacrosse head coach in Pitt history following the conclusion of next year's NCAA Women's Lacrosse National Championship, played in Baltimore, Md., on May 26, 2019.”

Does anyone have any doubt that she will hire a good one? I certainly don’t.

I guess they’ll be playing in the soccer field. The soccer teams are hoping for a natural grass field for games, and artificial turf for practice. Now with three teams playing on the same surface, I’m wondering if grass is doable.

Reactions: paschuler1970
This is a great addition. In the campus plan for "Victory Heights" there is an outdoor track penned in and the field could be where LAX will play. Where ever HL indicated the team will have its own field so that is my guess.
Nice! and really fits with ACC which is a big LAX league and accordingly is a big deal for Pitt!

“Lyke will hire the first women's lacrosse head coach in Pitt history following the conclusion of next year's NCAA Women's Lacrosse National Championship, played in Baltimore, Md., on May 26, 2019.”

Does anyone have any doubt that she will hire a good one? I certainly don’t.

I guess they’ll be playing in the soccer field. The soccer teams are hoping for a natural grass field for games, and artificial turf for practice. Now with three teams playing on the same surface, I’m wondering if grass is doable.

Timetable: my guesses

Coach hire: May/June 2019

First recruiting class: February 2020 (or

November 2019, not sure if they have an early signing period)

Practice begins January 2021. No games played this year. Practice only. Everyone redshirts

2nd recruiting class: February 2021

Practice begins January 2022

1st game: February 2022

The first team will have RS FR, true freshmen, and probably some transfers

Awesome. Fully funded too.

define full funded. my friend i work with played d1 and her sister was all american at UMD and now coaches. her repeated quote is, "there are no full scholarships in women's lacrosse."

define full funded. my friend i work with played d1 and her sister was all american at UMD and now coaches. her repeated quote is, "there are no full scholarships in women's lacrosse."
“Fully funded” in this context typically means that the school is offering the maximum number of scholarships permitted by the NCAA. In this case, the number for women’s lax is 12 - though that 12 number is typically divided up so that many more than 12 players receive partial scholarships.

There are no full scholarships in most D1 sports. I believe the full list is football, men's and women's basketball, women's volleyball, women's tennis and women's gymnastics.

Reactions: pitt90seven
Other than football and men and women's hoops, all other sports are 40% scholarship. Now they can give a star a larger % but someone else would then get less. Zero sum game.

Reactions: pitt90seven
Other than football and men and women's hoops, all other sports are 40% scholarship. Now they can give a star a larger % but someone else would then get less. Zero sum game.

Football, men's and women's basketball, women's gymnastics, women's tennis, and women's volleyball are all head count sports (allowable full scholarships up to the NCAA max limit # of scholarships for a particular sport...and you can't carry more athletes on scholarship, full or partial, than the max NCAA scholarship limit).

All the rest of the sports, men's and women's, are equivalency sports where the ships are divided up based on how the coach wants to divy them. Essentially there is a pot of scholarship money that is equivalent to the NCAA max limit for that sport (if fully funded by the school) for the coach to divide any way he/she feels fit to do so. So teams can carry more athletes on full or partial scholarships than the NCAA max scholarship limit for these sports, but the scholarship money is essentially capped.

Last edited:
Reactions: bwh05
There can be if you choose to spend the money that way. Coaches discretion how to split up the money. Nothing preventing it, but just means others get less.

Reactions: bwh05
Not true. 40% is arbitrary . It can be whatever the coach wants as long as total $$$ given doesn’t exceed 12 total

Does anyone believe that schools like PSU and OSU aren’t cheating in wrestling? I can’t believe PSU is getting top-rated wrestlers from Texas and California on partial rides. I would bet their boosters are taking care of a lot of those expenses or have created “academic” scholarships which always happen to go to wrestlers.

Does anyone believe that schools like PSU and OSU aren’t cheating in wrestling? I can’t believe PSU is getting top-rated wrestlers from Texas and California on partial rides. I would bet their boosters are taking care of a lot of those expenses or have created “academic” scholarships which always happen to go to wrestlers.
The rumors are out there, but no one has stated any evidence to back up the rumors.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT