ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt announces partnership to help improve tailgating experience at Heinz Field

Chris Peak

Lair Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 19, 2004
Press release:

PITTSBURGH – The University of Pittsburgh and Tailgate Guys have formed a new partnership to bring turn-key and hassle-free tailgating on the Great Lawn at Heinz Field for the 2017 Pitt Football season.

Tailgate Guys, founded in 2009, takes the trouble out of tailgating by providing an exclusive, fun gameday experience for their guests. Through their partnership with Pitt, they can now offer tailgate packages to accommodate groups of all sizes on the Great Lawn at Heinz Field. The packages include tents, tables, chairs, coolers with ice, TV and media service and food options. Patrons will be able to drop off their own beverages at their designated tent space prior to the start of the tailgate.

“The partnership with Tailgate Guys will enhance the gameday experience for our fans by creating a unique and exciting tailgate atmosphere within steps of Heinz Field,’’ said Pitt Director of Athletics Heather Lyke. “We have one of the best home venues in the ACC and this initiative is only going to add to the excitement and energy around the stadium on gameday. We look forward to our fans enjoying this new tradition this fall.”

Tailgate Guys operates on campuses and in bowl games around the country with current partners including; Alabama, Auburn, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Penn State, South Florida, Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, the Peach Bowl and the Cotton Bowl. Tailgate Guys has been providing guests with a first-class tailgate experience for eight years and are excited to offer the same opportunity to the Panther fan base.

“After the summer we’ve had, it was great to add to our momentum with the University of Pittsburgh,” said Parker Duffey, Tailgate Guys’ President & CEO. “We’re pushing ourselves harder and further this season and we can’t wait to join the fans in Pittsburgh this fall.”

Tailgate packages will be available to season ticket holders and Panther Club members immediately with public sales beginning Monday, July 31. Interested parties can call 412-525-4125 or contact pitt@tailgateguys.com with questions and reservation inquiries.

About Tailgate Guys
Founded in the spring of 2009 by Parker Duffey and Michael Otwell through its first formalized partnership with a university partner, Auburn University, Tailgate Guys has set the standard the tailgate service industry. Tailgate Guys’ mission is to provide a superior service to the game day fan, athletic partners, and the communities in which it operates. Tailgate Guys has grown by more than 6600% since 2009 and was recognized in Inc. magazine’s 2014, 2015 and 2016 Inc. 5000 as one of the fastest-growing companies in the United States. For more information on how to make game day reservations, visit www.tailgateguys.com.

Reactions: JokePa
Where is this Great Lawn? Are we talking about the grassy knoll along the river, aka the Goose Roost?

https://tailgateguys.com/home/services

Check them out!

Communicate, communicate, communicate!
I've watched really bad ideas look great due to really good communication, and I've watched great ideas go down in flames due to really poor communications!

Not much of an explanation but I guess that will be like a surprise no sense letting fans know more now since the first kick-off is coming fast!

They don't do all this stuff for free?
Maybe its the first step in attempting to control / manage the tailgates to get more people out of the parking lots and into the stadium?
Could be the tailgates end at kick-off?

Last edited:
Can't hurt. If its that green space by the river has always looked like it held opportunity for this kind of thing. As I walk to the stadium (after stumbling out of the Kilt or stage AE patio or such) I sometimes see a DJ booth there and some dude playing music or such...to a mostly empty parcel. Yet it has great proximity to the main gate and great views of the point

Where is this Great Lawn? Are we talking about the grassy knoll along the river, aka the Goose Roost?
yes. it's actually a bit bigger than you'd think. not exactly flat though, but big enough to pitch many tailgating tents.. Please don't make a "pitching a tent" joke either please, this is a family board.

So they are eliminating outdoor parking spaces, and now charging people to tailgate outside. Brilliant.
*shrug* to slightly paraphrase the sage words of a late 20th century Australian troubadour, "(that's) life in the big city / I hear the competition's tough / baby that's a pity.

I would also prefer things how they were about 5-7 years after Heinz first opened, during which there was still a good bit of surface parking (and thus decent tailgating). Yet if you didn't want to tailgate (or couldn't score the passes), some solid bar options had opened by then near PNC and between the stadiums. And once the T station opened, you could more easily park/ eat/drink downtown before coming over (ditto the with the clippers and Station Square). It all struck a good balance about that time. But that was anathema to the Steelers and the city's plan of course.

Unless you have several grand per game to spend on a tailgate this is going to do nothing to improve your experience. It is perfect for corporate tailgates or rich who just want to show up and tailgate. It over a grand to just rent the tent and chairs.

Reactions: Pitt1313
So they are eliminating outdoor parking spaces, and now charging people to tailgate outside. Brilliant.
Here's my problem with the Lyke AD administration. She seems to be media shy! Over communicate! Worse case fans will say I Know That but thats ok!
If someone doesnt get out in front of this and explain it in properly fans will come up with their own interpretation of this new plan.
That's bad!
This may be a great plan and everyone will love it so explain it. On the other hand maybe someone at PITT doesnt want to get behind this one and own it?

Reactions: pittiswhereiamfrom2
We have had our share of people show are not comfortable in front of a microphone. Dale Carnegie classes are a few blocks away!

Here's my problem with the Lyke AD administration. She seems to be media shy! Over communicate! Worse case fans will say I Know That but thats ok!
If someone doesnt get out in front of this and explain it in properly fans will come up with their own interpretation of this new plan.
That's bad!
This may be a great plan and everyone will love it so explain it. On the other hand maybe someone at PITT doesnt want to get behind this one and own it?

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
That's bad!
media shy? She's done about 5 interviews in the last two months..

what's to explain here, I've never heard of this company, clicked on the website given on the press release and 2 minutes later, now I know what they do.. If fans need this explained properly, we need smarter fans.. you pay a company and they give you a tent, drinks, food and more.

what's to explain here, I've never heard of this company, clicked on the website given on the press release and 2 minutes later, now I know what they do.. If fans need this explained properly, we need smarter fans.. you pay a company and they give you a tent, drinks, food and more.
I live outside the Pittsburgh media market so she misses the out of town season ticket holders! I haven't heard a word from the AD since she dropped her suitcases off. Are the 5 interviews posted somewhere so people can catch up with the exciting events happening in PITT athletics or are they intended for the couple of thousand local PITT fans?

Whats the "more" is that the "hot chicks" you've been talking about in your last 20 posts in other threads?

Last edited:

Yeah, not sure the "enhancing" or "improvement" part. The assault on tailgating is on full force in Pittsburgh. It is like they cannot have people doing anything without someone else getting paid. And that is not improving anything, and it would just be another reason for people to not go.

If you already tailgate this is a non event. If you hit the bars on the Northside this is a better alternative. I like our tailgate they way it is.

Just to keep beating a dead horse,
1) This would be great if we wanted to solve the tailgating issue with Oakland.
2) If the stadium was still in Oakland, me and my family would probably hang out at local establishments and then not need this.

I give her credit for trying to do something with what she has. Only time will tell if it turns out good or not. But I hope this isn't her "unique" experience since it really isn't unique.

I would be interested in how this looks in other urban areas like Tampa (USF) and Atlanta(GT)

Tailgating in an urban area is much different than in rural areas.

If you already tailgate this is a non event. If you hit the bars on the Northside this is a better alternative. I like our tailgate they way it is.
How is this a better alternative to hitting a bar? It will be over $1,000 to rent a tent with chairs and tables for a single game. That doesn't even include food or drinks. This is not a walk in and buy food and drink type of deal. This is rent a tent then pay for it to be catered or bring your own food and beverages.

I would be interested in how this looks in other urban areas like Tampa (USF) and Atlanta(GT)

Tailgating in an urban area is much different than in rural areas.
Same as everywhere else. They have an area near the stadium that they set up tents that people can rent. The schools then get a cut of the fees.

TIA-Feature-Photo.jpg

Getting back to communicate, communicate, communicate.

As I said if someone at PITT doesnt own this and explain it will morf into all kinds of things.

Direction of the athletic program at PITT is LIKE A FART IN A FAN FACTORY!

Unless you have several grand per game to spend on a tailgate this is going to do nothing to improve your experience. It is perfect for corporate tailgates or rich who just want to show up and tailgate. It over a grand to just rent the tent and chairs.

Over $1000 for a tent? Does Pitt not know it's own fanbase?

Reactions: pittiswhereiamfrom2
I live outside the Pittsburgh media market so she misses the out of town season ticket holders! I haven't heard a word from the AD since she dropped her suitcases off. Are the 5 interviews posted somewhere so people can catch up with the exciting events happening in PITT athletics or are they intended for the couple of thousand local PITT fans?

Whats the "more" is that the "hot chicks" you've been talking about in your last 20 posts in other threads?
the hot chicks were in hazelwood, partying on boats, a part of the tailgating experience at our new, river front stadium in the almono development area, NOT for Heinz.

She has had multiple interviews, one is on top of this thread and she had a big one in late june, discussed on this board multiple times and also had another interview in late march. But she's shy. Maybe she can hold another interview just for you BuffetParrothead, to inform you guys in how to hold a proper tailgate..

You freakin guys sound like children with this incessant crying about tailgating. You want Heather Lyke to show you how to have a good time before a college football game. that's what you guys are crying about, you want Heather Lyke to actually hold a PC to show you how to enjoy yourselves at a football game. Do you want her to cook your hot dogs and open your beer too? Have some pride in yourselves fellas, find a way to figure out your own tailgate.

200.gif

Last edited:
the hot chicks were in hazelwood, partying on boats, a part of the tailgating experience at our new, river front stadium in the almono development area, NOT for Heinz.

She has had multiple interviews, one is on top of this thread and she had a big one in late june, discussed on this board multiple times and also had another interview in late march. But she's shy. Maybe she can hold another interview just for you BuffetParrothead, to inform you guys in how to hold a proper tailgate..

You freakin guys sound like children with this incessant crying about tailgating. You want Heather Lyke to show you how to have a good time before a college football game. that's what you guys are crying about, you want Heather Lyke to actually hold a PC to show you how to enjoy yourselves at a football game. Do you want her to cook your hot dogs and open your beer too? Have some pride in yourselves fellas, find a way to figure out your own tailgate.
I can only speak for myself, but I would LOVE for Heather Lyke to open my beer for me before a game.

How much do people spend on a tailgate? I've seen some elaborate setups with massive grills and big screens, but I still can't imagine it's too crazy when you break down the food cost per person.

Coleman Grill, 10 pack of burger patties, buns, condiments, and 12-24 bottles of beer < $1000

Coleman Grill, 10 pack of burger patties, buns, condiments, and 12-24 bottles of beer < $1000
lol, I think this service provides a little more than a case of beer and 10 burgers with ketchup.. it's for a larger crowd, two dozen plus. If it's you and a few buddies, probably better to do your own thing.

Reactions: DiehardPanther

200.gif
Ok ! LoL!

Again, this is only a start. There's still many ways they can make it even better. Now I don't know if they've started doing this since I last attended a home game in '13, but I thought having some groups play at the Stage AE before and after games would be cool and liven up the atmosphere a bit.

Where are you finding the starting pricing of $1,000 plus catering? I can't find anything definitive. Other message boards at schools currently using Tailgate Guys mentioned them starting around $350 or $400 at their schools for the basic 20 guy tent, tables, chairs (sans catering) with Cadillac plans in the several thousands that included satellite TVs, music, catering, etc.

I'm sure there is a decent premium for convenience, but I'm intrigued to learn more. That location and convenience is attractive for a big group willing to split costs.

Where are you finding the starting pricing of $1,000 plus catering? I can't find anything definitive. Other message boards at schools currently using Tailgate Guys mentioned them starting around $350 or $400 at their schools for the basic 20 guy tent, tables, chairs (sans catering) with Cadillac plans in the several thousands that included satellite TVs, music, catering, etc.

I'm sure there is a decent premium for convenience, but I'm intrigued to learn more. That location and convenience is attractive for a big group willing to split costs.

That sounds more reasonable, but those companies often put large premiums on setting up tents, so you never know.

Getting back to communicate, communicate, communicate.

As I said if someone at PITT doesnt own this and explain it will morf into all kinds of things.

Direction of the athletic program at PITT is LIKE A FART IN A FAN FACTORY!

Click on the link dude...a 6th grader with the reading comprehension of a 4th grader would get how it works. The only thing missing are menus and prices--which they say they will be available in August. If you look at the schools that have partnered with this company...it is a pretty good list of the big boys of college football. I truly hope it works...but alas, Pitt fans tend to be majorly cheap--so my guess is it is anywhere from a bust to so-so in results. I actually did one of these things at an away Rutgers game a few years back...was great for fans from out of town like me that wanted to tailgate close to the stadium and not haul so much stuff a long distance...so perhaps Pitt can push that angle to make some cash from visitors? Hail to Pitt!

I was just going based what they were charging at Penn State and figuring Pitt would be similar especially considering the premium on space on the north shore. Still $350 to set up a tent and chairs pretty hefty price considering it per game. You could buy a tailgate tent 10'X '10 tent and 5 Pitt chairs which is included in that package for less then $350

I was just going based what they were charging at Penn State and figuring Pitt would be similar especially considering the premium on space on the north shore. Still $350 to set up a tent and chairs pretty hefty price considering it per game. You could buy a tailgate tent 10'X '10 tent and 5 Pitt chairs which is included in that package for less then $350
Yup. And you couldn't put the tent up anywhere in the lots.....so....no.

Click on the link dude...a 6th grader with the reading comprehension of a 4th grader would get how it works. The only thing missing are menus and prices--which they say they will be available in August. If you look at the schools that have partnered with this company...it is a pretty good list of the big boys of college football. I truly hope it works...but alas, Pitt fans tend to be majorly cheap--so my guess is it is anywhere from a bust to so-so in results. I actually did one of these things at an away Rutgers game a few years back...was great for fans from out of town like me that wanted to tailgate close to the stadium and not haul so much stuff a long distance...so perhaps Pitt can push that angle to make some cash from visitors? Hail to Pitt!
To bad for those 6th graders with the 4th grade reading comprehension levels. Those kids will never be accepted to PITT but maybe we should pass a law to let them in anyway. You know kinda move them along? School systems are going downhill.
I posted the link to the site earlier in this thread and I did review the services offered.
Great idea for fans who have no tailgate to attend for home games and maybe the visitors angle like you suggested.
Most tailgaters like running their tailgate themselves, at the location where they park, so I hope this new program doesn't impact those fans.

To bad for those 6th graders with the 4th grade reading comprehension levels. Those kids will never be accepted to PITT but maybe we should pass a law to let them in anyway. You know kinda move them along? School systems are going downhill.
I posted the link to the site earlier in this thread and I did review the services offered.
Great idea for fans who have no tailgate to attend for home games and maybe the visitors angle like you suggested.
Most tailgaters like running their tailgate themselves, at the location where they park, so I hope this new program doesn't impact those fans.

Why would it impact people who pay for surface parking and have their own tailgates? Competition??? LOL Of course as predicted, as every season passes, there is less and less surface parking--consequently tailgating is being impacted every year--in an adverse way [and as predicted would happen]. This new innovation is just an attempt to increase tailgating in a place where nothing happens and for Pitt to hopefully generate some new revenue. Perhaps people that used to have a surface spot and now are forced to park in a garage will be able to join in the fun and tailgate again? Hail to Pitt!

Why would it impact people who pay for surface parking and have their own tailgates? Competition??? LOL Of course as predicted, as every season passes, there is less and less surface parking--consequently tailgating is being impacted every year--in an adverse way [and as predicted would happen]. This new innovation is just an attempt to increase tailgating in a place where nothing happens and for Pitt to hopefully generate some new revenue. Perhaps people that used to have a surface spot and now are forced to park in a garage will be able to join in the fun and tailgate again? Hail to Pitt!
At this time I give the site an incomplete due to the lack of pricing.
Once pricing is available and tied to the various service options this will make more sense!
I'm sure as each year passes Northshore parking will be converted to other purposes.
Again we'll see how things work out!

ADVERTISEMENT