ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt announces partnership to help improve tailgating experience at Heinz Field

With all due respect, the only thing about this announcement that I care about is...where is the "Great Lawn" and why have I never heard about this area before?
This really reminds me of the made up "River City Rivalry" between Pitt and Cincinnati.
Pitt needs to stop trying to "create major events" in an attempt to draw more people to the games and focus their energy on finding out why so few of its locally based alumni fail to attend Pitts home games.

With all due respect, the only thing about this announcement that I care about is...where is the "Great Lawn" and why have I never heard about this area before?
This really reminds me of the made up "River City Rivalry" between Pitt and Cincinnati.
Pitt needs to stop trying to "create major events" in an attempt to draw more people to the games and focus their energy on finding out why so few of its locally based alumni fail to attend Pitts home games.
It's the area across the street from Stage AE. Literally the only large grassy area fit for a tailgate. Its been referred to as the Great Lawn for at least a decade, at least by Pitt, in reference to where the student tailgate used to be.

pitt-site-1134089332.png

Press release:

PITTSBURGH – The University of Pittsburgh and Tailgate Guys have formed a new partnership to bring turn-key and hassle-free tailgating on the Great Lawn at Heinz Field for the 2017 Pitt Football season.

Tailgate Guys, founded in 2009, takes the trouble out of tailgating by providing an exclusive, fun gameday experience for their guests. Through their partnership with Pitt, they can now offer tailgate packages to accommodate groups of all sizes on the Great Lawn at Heinz Field. The packages include tents, tables, chairs, coolers with ice, TV and media service and food options. Patrons will be able to drop off their own beverages at their designated tent space prior to the start of the tailgate.

“The partnership with Tailgate Guys will enhance the gameday experience for our fans by creating a unique and exciting tailgate atmosphere within steps of Heinz Field,’’ said Pitt Director of Athletics Heather Lyke. “We have one of the best home venues in the ACC and this initiative is only going to add to the excitement and energy around the stadium on gameday. We look forward to our fans enjoying this new tradition this fall.”

Tailgate Guys operates on campuses and in bowl games around the country with current partners including; Alabama, Auburn, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Penn State, South Florida, Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, the Peach Bowl and the Cotton Bowl. Tailgate Guys has been providing guests with a first-class tailgate experience for eight years and are excited to offer the same opportunity to the Panther fan base.

“After the summer we’ve had, it was great to add to our momentum with the University of Pittsburgh,” said Parker Duffey, Tailgate Guys’ President & CEO. “We’re pushing ourselves harder and further this season and we can’t wait to join the fans in Pittsburgh this fall.”

Tailgate packages will be available to season ticket holders and Panther Club members immediately with public sales beginning Monday, July 31. Interested parties can call 412-525-4125 or contact pitt@tailgateguys.com with questions and reservation inquiries.

About Tailgate Guys
Founded in the spring of 2009 by Parker Duffey and Michael Otwell through its first formalized partnership with a university partner, Auburn University, Tailgate Guys has set the standard the tailgate service industry. Tailgate Guys’ mission is to provide a superior service to the game day fan, athletic partners, and the communities in which it operates. Tailgate Guys has grown by more than 6600% since 2009 and was recognized in Inc. magazine’s 2014, 2015 and 2016 Inc. 5000 as one of the fastest-growing companies in the United States. For more information on how to make game day reservations, visit www.tailgateguys.com.

I am always skeptical of an organization that doesn't publish it's package prices on their web site. Kind of like code for "this is going to be expensive and we need to get you on the phone with someone to talk you into it" We shall see.

This is a no lose situation. Anyone complaining clearly just wants to bitch without reading. I am glad pitt is doing this.
Yeah can't see why anyone would find fault. It's an opportunity for some, probably a limited niche for sure, but not taking away from what anyone else wants to do today. If you don't wish to partake, don't. Pretty simple.

Reactions: Swervin27
It's the area across the street from Stage AE. Literally the only large grassy area fit for a tailgate. Its been referred to as the Great Lawn for at least a decade, at least by Pitt, in reference to where the student tailgate used to be.
I've been a season ticket holder for quite a long time dating back to Pitt Stadium days and I have never heard of the "Great Lawn". Perhaps this is a prime example of why Pitt has to work so hard to get its fans to attend football games, communication/promotion. Tell me how does a season ticket holder of 6 seats (who have had them for a long time) and I've never heard of this area.

I've been a season ticket holder for quite a long time dating back to Pitt Stadium days and I have never heard of the "Great Lawn". Perhaps this is a prime example of why Pitt has to work so hard to get its fans to attend football games, communication/promotion. Tell me how does a season ticket holder of 6 seats (who have had them for a long time) and I've never heard of this area.
You not hearing of it has nothing to do with pitt.
My guess is you simply haven't walked around the north shore by the stadiums...
Or didn't realize that two acre green space was called the great lawn.

No disrespect but how does the fact that you never heard the green area being called the great lawn affect attendance?

Reactions: Swervin27

What does this have to do with pitt? So now Pitt has to give tours and inform all season ticket holders of every square inch of the north shore? Some of you are honestly unbelievable. And lazy. And cheap.

Reactions: Saboteur
I am always skeptical of an organization that doesn't publish it's package prices on their web site. Kind of like code for "this is going to be expensive and we need to get you on the phone with someone to talk you into it" We shall see.
Exactly my point!
Without knowing what pricing is attached to various options NOONE can say if this is a good idea or not! How can you make a decision about something when you dont have the specifics of a proposal or pricing!

Lets say a financial advisor pitches you and it sounds great until you find out the details of the funds they invest in and their 10% fee. Not so good now!

Its nice to see a new idea! But with our track record it would be nice to see a new idea actually work out.

As parking is gobbled up for other purposes will tailgaters be allowed to transport their own tailgate stuff to the Great Lawn or will that be the place where this company operates?

This is a nice to have service and probably will appeal to a small group of people who want a tailgate, already attend games, but dont want to do any work and are willing to pay others.
Getting back to PITT's largest football problem people in seats how exactly does this help that?

Let's hope it works out but we'll see!

Last edited:
The prices probably fluctuate by opponent and demand.

So a possibility is to make the phone call and ask for pricing...

Like the website clearly states...

My dad lives out of state and is a psu alum and has already ordered one for the pitt game. So if the clientele is for the rich, so be it. But again, they are using an area that doesn't get used on game day and takes away nothing currently.

Reactions: PITTLAW

My dad lives out of state and is a psu alum and has already ordered one for the pitt game. So if the clientele is for the rich, so be it. But again, they are using an area that doesn't get used on game day and takes away nothing currently.
Hey now, hold on a second. Who gave you the right to use facts and common sense in a thread like this?
It is the responsibility of Pitt to handle every part of your game day experience. You are not an adult capable of finding solutions to your own problems. Now go away with facts and common sense.
Those are not needed here.

Exactly my point!
Without knowing what pricing is attached to various options NOONE can say if this is a good idea or not! How can you make a decision about something when you dont have the specifics of a proposal or pricing!

Lets say a financial advisor pitches you and it sounds great until you find out the details of the funds they invest in and their 10% fee. Not so good now!

Its nice to see a new idea! But with our track record it would be nice to see a new idea actually work out.

As parking is gobbled up for other purposes will tailgaters be allowed to transport their own tailgate stuff to the Great Lawn or will that be the place where this company operates?

This is a nice to have service and probably will appeal to a small group of people who want a tailgate, already attend games, but dont want to do any work and are willing to pay others.
Getting back to PITT's largest football problem people in seats how exactly does this help that?

Let's hope it works out but we'll see!

Not sure you read this very carefully. Since catering and beverage services are listed as "option for catering and beverages" it is pretty clear you can bring your own food and beverages to the tent you rent, etc. That may change over time, likely depending upon demand. When I did it up at Rutgers, "catering and beverages" were only available through Rutgers--which of course is different than the "Tailgate Guys." Ideally they should have had catering and beverage pricing available on the day the thing was announced...but really no reason to criticize Pitt on this one. Hail to Pitt!

Apparently you do not read the stuff Pitt sends you. Not only does Pitt refer to the only grass near the stadium as "The Great Lawn," so does the Stadium Authority as well as the Steelers...and it has been that way since the stadium opened. Not a big deal, but The Great Lawn has been on every map ever circulated for Heinz Field. Of course you never heard of The Great Lawn in the Pitt Stadium days, because there was no such thing. Don't believe me, just Google it and you will find things dating back to when the stadium opened. At least you can say you learned something. Hail to Pitt!

Me too. Just like Obama care. People been crying about it for six years and when they have the chance to fix it, they don't have a better option.
You don't like it, don't go. Whining is easy.
Weren't they just wanting to go back to what it was before Obamacare?

But still there is no correlation between the two. Weird comment.

Not sure you read this very carefully. Since catering and beverage services are listed as "option for catering and beverages" it is pretty clear you can bring your own food and beverages to the tent you rent, etc. That may change over time, likely depending upon demand. When I did it up at Rutgers, "catering and beverages" were only available through Rutgers--which of course is different than the "Tailgate Guys." Ideally they should have had catering and beverage pricing available on the day the thing was announced...but really no reason to criticize Pitt on this one. Hail to Pitt!
I'll restate my reply.
Your answer in red above didnt answer my question.
My question? Will tailgaters be able to park somewhere/anywhere and transport their tailgate equipment tents, grills, chairs, etc. plus their own food and beverages and set up a tailgate on the Great Lawn just like they used to set up their tailgate in a parking lot?
Or is the Great Lawn tailgating reserved for this company?
Important question since tailgate space appears to be declining each year as more lucrative ventures replace parking lots.
At some time the Great Lawn may be tailgate central.
I thought about tied up barges along the river but on second tought that might not be the best place for a tailgate?

I'll restate my reply.
My question? Will tailgaters be able to park somewhere/anywhere and transport their tailgate equipment tents, grills, chairs, etc. plus their own food and beverages and set up a tailgate on the Great Lawn just like they used to set up their tailgate in a parking lot?
Important question since tailgate space appears to be declining each year as more lucrative ventures replace parking lots.
I thought about tied up barges along the river but on second tought that might not be the best place for a tailgate?
I don't know if the answer is 100%, but based on the release and the website, the space marked on the map should be reserved (completely) for the packages this company will sell. There may be parcels around it, which are open and available, but where they are mapped off, that will almost assuredly be their space to rent and not open to show up and set up folks who have not paid this company. That is how it works everywhere else I have used and seen this set up.

pitt-site-1134089332.png

I'll restate my reply.
I think my answer was deleted for some reason. Buffet, the lawn is unavailable to tailgate. No one was allowed to tailgate on it before. Now, this company reserves the rights to it on game day so fans will certainly not be allowed to tailgate on it unless they go thru this service..

If you and I last year had met at the great lawn, put out some chairs and a grill, we'd have been kicked off in a matter of minutes..

This is correct. I knew the guys who got bought out by this group in Tuscaloosa. It makes a lot of sense and it is definitely something many of the "big boys" have for their tailgating and gameday experience.

For the folks that want to do a bigger tailgate without the hassle of transport, set up, and tear down, it makes perfect sense. It isn't cheap, but it does save a hell of a lot of stress and sleep to just show up and enjoy.

this service makes a ton of sense for away fans, it's actually perfect. think about it, you and a group of guys are going down to a game at wake, Georgia tech, psu, auburn, do this service and you are set. What are your options? Go to a bar close by and drink yourself silly for $75 bucks or go this route..

I think my answer was deleted for some reason. Buffet, the lawn is unavailable to tailgate. No one was allowed to tailgate on it before. Now, this company reserves the rights to it on game day so fans will certainly not be allowed to tailgate on it unless they go thru this service..

If you and I last year had met at the great lawn, put out some chairs and a grill, we'd have been kicked off in a matter of minutes..
Well if that happened Mrs Buffett and I would have taken you to our favorite place the Twisted ( Tilted) Kilt for a few cold ones.
Thanks for the answer! You always seem to have a good response on most topics!

this service makes a ton of sense for away fans, it's actually perfect. think about it, you and a group of guys are going down to a game at wake, Georgia tech, psu, auburn, do this service and you are set. What are your options? Go to a bar close by and drink yourself silly for $75 bucks or go this route..
Yeah, but you have to: 1. Have a pretty big group committed. 2. Do it months and months in advance for the bigger programs

Most of the Alabama options would be gone by this time of year already and sometimes months earlier for the big games. Especially the top packages because people just reserve them for the whole season.

I'll restate my reply.

The Great Lawn never was available for the public to tailgate, so nothing is lost here for the fans. Hail to Pitt!

Reactions: bwh05 and ratking17
Yeah, but you have to: 1. Have a pretty big group committed. 2. Do it months and months in advance for the bigger programs

Most of the Alabama options would be gone by this time of year already and sometimes months earlier for the big games. Especially the top packages because people just reserve them for the whole season.
Yeah, probably doesn't get cost efficient til you get over 15, which is a big group no doubt. Might be cool for a pantherlair group to do at an away ga tech game.

The Great Lawn never was available for the public to tailgate, so nothing is lost here for the fans. Hail to Pitt!
Again you missed my point! For an attorney you're well forget it.

My point was as parking lot tailgate space is taken up by other business ventures PITT tailgaters will have to look for other locations. The Great Lawn could be one of those future locations if parking lot tailgates become limited. I understand tailgating isn't permited now but it might have been in the future when the parking lot tailgating becomes limited.

Since this new co. has the rights to tailgating on the Great Lawn it will force many tailgates to use this company which might not be what PITT fans want!

Again three AD's in five years, five football coaches in five years, Stallings, most PITT fans are in a We'll See Mode!

Again you missed my point! For an attorney you're well forget it.

My point was as parking lot tailgate space is taken up by other business ventures PITT tailgaters will have to look for other locations. The Great Lawn could be one of those future locations if parking lot tailgates become limited. I understand tailgating isn't permited now but it might have been in the future when the parking lot tailgating becomes limited.

Since this new co. has the rights to tailgating on the Great Lawn it will force many tailgates to use this company which might not be what PITT fans want!

Again three AD's in five years, five football coaches in five years, Stallings, most PITT fans are in a We'll See Mode!
Buffet, Pitt fans were never getting free access to tailgate on this lawn. Not now, not before, not ever.

It is prime tailgating real estate with or without north shore garages. It was prime spot in 2001, as it is now but your not allowed.

Every surface spot could disappear and you'd still not be allowed to tailgate on your own on this lawn. they don't want you on the grass. They don't care how much you or I love beer and BBQ, they aren't letting us on this lawn.

Buffet, Pitt fans were never getting free access to tailgate on this lawn. Not now, not before, not ever.

It is prime tailgating real estate with or without north shore garages. It was prime spot in 2001, as it is now but your not allowed.

Every surface spot could disappear and you'd still not be allowed to tailgate on your own on this lawn. they don't want you on the grass. They don't care how much you or I love beer and BBQ, they aren't letting us on this lawn.

Ok lets say I buy into that so what happens to PITT tailgates when the parking lot tailgate space is 50% of what it is now? Ever year we lose parking lot tailgate space.

I think I know the answer. Tailgaters will be forced to work with this company to have a tailgate on the Great Lawn since they lost their parking lot tailgate space.

So I go to a approx. 50 person tailgate. We pay $ 10 / home game each for unlimited food hamburgers, hotdogs, sauage sandwiches, sub sandwiches, steak sandwiches, beer, various mixed drinks, Malibu Bay Coconut Rum, Fireballs, etc.

Some people bring food and drinks in addition to the tailgaters fee. Mrs Buffett and I pay the host $ 30 / extra /game since we appreciate the host organizing the tailgate and we drive a long way so its difficult to drag stuff to the tailgate from a hotel.

I'll call this new company and price out a similar tailgate with and without tailgate equipment like tables and chairs. I bet the fee will be at a level that only weathly tailgate hosts and participants will be able to afford. I'll report back the results of my call to this new tailgate service company.

With that said I do think this is a great idea for PITT fans attending away games, away fans attending PITT games, PITT fans with no tailgate to attend, etc. It has its place as a "niche" market but I doubt it will work as a mass market tailgates option.

Since Mrs Buffett and I drive 300 miles one way, 600 rt, we love pre game tailgates, and we can afford almost any fee so we'd bite on an expensive tailgate rather than none. Lots of the people in our tailgate would decline and maybe not attend the game!

I've mentioned this before we buy one set on season tickets for us, and four North End Zone tickets which we give away at our tailgate to people who didnt buy game tickets for one reason or another! Many PITT fans arent made of money so this could be a down the road mess but We'll See!

Last edited:
Ok lets say I buy into that so what happens to PITT tailgates when the parking lot tailgate space is 50% of what it is now? Ever year we lose parking lot tailgate space.

I think I know the answer. Tailgaters will be forced to work with this company to have a tailgate on the Great Lawn since they lost their parking lot tailgate space.

So I go to a approx. 50 person tailgate. We pay $ 10 / home game each for unlimited food hamburgers, hotdogs, sauage sandwiches, sub sandwiches, steak sandwiches, beer, various mixed drinks, Malibu Bay Coconut Rum, Fireballs, etc.

Some people bring food and drinks in addition to the tailgaters fee. Mrs Buffett and I pay the host $ 30 / extra /game since we appreciate the host organizing the tailgate and we drive a long way so its difficult to drag stuff to the tailgate from a hotel.

I'll call this new company and price out a similar tailgate with and without tailgate equipment like tables and chairs. I bet the fee will be at a level that only weathly tailgate hosts and participants will be able to afford. I'll report back the results of my call to this new tailgate service company.

With that said I do think this is a great idea for PITT fans attending away games, away fans attending PITT games, PITT fans with no tailgate to attend, etc. It has its place as a "niche" market but I doubt it will work as a mass market tailgates option.

Since Mrs Buffett and I drive 300 miles one way, 600 rt, we love pre game tailgates, and we can afford almost any fee so we'd bite on an expensive tailgate rather than none. Lots of the people in our tailgate would decline and maybe not attend the game!

I've mentioned this before we buy one set on season tickets for us, and four North End Zone tickets which we give away at our tailgate to people who didnt buy game tickets for one reason or another! Many PITT fans arent made of money so this could be a down the road mess but We'll See!
you are making this way to conspiratorial and yes, that's a word, I think. you can tailgate anywhere buffet, it's not a God given right as a human being that you are granted a parking spot to drink beer and grill hot dogs before a sporting event. I mean, that isn't part of a ticket.. Time and again in this thread, you are acting like the gift of surface spots is something that our Forefathers fought and died for and now pitt is trying to take this civil liberty from us..

What do we do if we lose 50% of the surface spots. We drink in a garage, we drink in the lots in north side, we go to a bar, one of the many surrounding the stadium.. we adapt, we overcome adversity and live on.

you are making this way to conspiratorial and yes, that's a word, I think. you can tailgate anywhere buffet, it's not a God given right as a human being that you are granted a parking spot to drink beer and grill hot dogs before a sporting event. I mean, that isn't part of a ticket.. Time and again in this thread, you are acting like the gift of surface spots is something that our Forefathers fought and died for and now pitt is trying to take this civil liberty from us..

What do we do if we lose 50% of the surface spots. We drink in a garage, we drink in the lots in north side, we go to a bar, one of the many surrounding the stadium.. we adapt, we overcome adversity and live on.
There was a conspiracy all right, but it was with the city and the Steelers. They want to eliminate all the surface tailgating and drive people into the bars or stage AE or the stadium early (as well as to restaurants and bars post game rather than back to their cars to continue the tailgate).

It's not like this conspiracy is a secret either. It was the business plan since 2001. Hell since 1969 for that matter.

Pitt has no dog in that hunt. The school gains nothing whether people tailgate, go to the bars, or go into Rooney controlled establishments, or even to the casino for that matter (as a rather disturbing number of people in my casual group of section mates have taken to do before games, and after, and sometimes in the middle ... disturbing because I find the casino creepy ... but Arnold Drummond, right?).

Anyway, Pitt gets squat no matter what people do. So there's no point in a PITT conspiracy with this endeavor. I think its earnestly just an idea that might get a few more people to attend with a gimmick they might like. Nothing more nothing less.

Accidentally put this in another thread, but didn't Pitt try to implement their own "tailgating tents" last year? https://www.facebook.com/PittsburghPanthers/posts/10153811418037503:0

So Pitt hiring Tailgate Guys signals two things:
1) It worked so well and there was such a demand for it last year that they needed more tents
2) It flopped or they couldn't run it properly & needed to call in the professionals

Maybe it's just because they want some places to tailgate as the parking garages go up, but it's interesting that they're doing something like this again for the second straight year, albeit under a new athletic department.

There was a conspiracy all right, but it was with the city and the Steelers. They want to eliminate all the surface tailgating and drive people into the bars or stage AE or the stadium early (as well as to restaurants and bars post game rather than back to their cars to continue the tailgate).

It's not like this conspiracy is a secret either. It was the business plan since 2001. Hell since 1969 for that matter.

Pitt has no dog in that hunt. The school gains nothing whether people tailgate, go to the bars, or go into Rooney controlled establishments, or even to the casino for that matter (as a rather disturbing number of people in my casual group of section mates have taken to do before games, and after, and sometimes in the middle ... disturbing because I find the casino creepy ... but Arnold Drummond, right?).

Anyway, Pitt gets squat no matter what people do. So there's no point in a PITT conspiracy with this endeavor. I think its earnestly just an idea that might get a few more people to attend with a gimmick they might like. Nothing more nothing less.
I think you correct except for PITT should get some kind of cut from this service. If it wasnt for PITT football games the service company wouldnt have this business opportunity. If I was PITT I'd be looking for a % of the revenues. Not sure who they would have to negociate with the city?, and this service company?.But PITT is PITT and they might not think that way!
This could impact PITT attendance and revenues if fans get pushed out of the existing tailgate space in parking lots, move to this service, dont like it, and stay home instead of attending games.
On the other hand it could have a positive impact on attendance.

Either way PITT is in the middle of this one and better stay on top of it!

Last edited:
Accidentally put this in another thread, but didn't Pitt try to implement their own "tailgating tents" last year? https://www.facebook.com/PittsburghPanthers/posts/10153811418037503:0

So Pitt hiring Tailgate Guys signals two things:
1) It worked so well and there was such a demand for it last year that they needed more tents
2) It flopped or they couldn't run it properly & needed to call in the professionals

Maybe it's just because they want some places to tailgate as the parking garages go up, but it's interesting that they're doing something like this again for the second straight year, albeit under a new athletic department.

It's Pitt, so I'd go with the second half of #2!

In reality: Welcome to big boy football. This is happening everywhere. You are paying for convenience. Some might not find it worth it, but it is very common and IMO very convenient, if you are going to do a big, day long tailgate anyway.

In reality: Welcome to big boy football. This is happening everywhere. You are paying for convenience. Some might not find it worth it, but it is very common and IMO very convenient, if you are going to do a big, day long tailgate anyway.
Its definitely the trend, its convenient which might be what makes this a winner.

I wonder if our cheap fanbase is like other Big Boy football programs. I doubt it! We cant sell out season tickets costing $ 147 or the next cheapest package $ 187. Season tickets?

How great is it to order a tailgate have people set it up, cook food, do drinks, when you're done you walk away and they clean up.

I just hope we have a new group of fans who can afford this and the existing group of tailgaters likes it and can afford the service.

Last edited:
Its definitely the trend, its convenient which might be what makes this a winner.

I wonder if our cheap fanbase is like other Big Boy football programs. I doubt it! We cant sell out season tickets costing $ 147 or the next cheapest package $ 187. Season tickets?

How great is it to order a tailgate have people set it up, cook food, do drinks, when you're done you walk away and they clean up.

I just hope we have a new group of fans who can afford this and the existing group of tailgaters likes it and can afford the service.
It is great. Even if I go to someone else's tailgate, I would always prefer to do that and just pay a lot more. I understand some people can't do that, but they do have other options.

ADVERTISEMENT