ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt at GT.....Some Thoughts

vantheman1976

Freshman
Gold Member
Apr 2, 2005
A few pre game thoughts....
  • Expect GT to come with a lot of energy and intensity following Friday's sweep at the hands of SMU. Not finishing their week at 0 - 2 will be a big motivator.
  • GT has played 36 sets.....losing 10 of them....resulting in a 8 -2 record
  • In sets lost....GT is losing by 4.4 pts/set.
  • Pitt on average outscores GT by about 2 pts/set and gives back approximately 2 pts/set less than GT......which matches almost exactly the GT 4.4 pts/set loss margin.
  • Pitt's margin of victory in their 33 set winning streak is an astounding 9 pts/set....25 - 16. On the other hand....GT has never lost a set by more than 6 pts.
  • Pitt has been running their opponents out of the gym. GT has never been boat raced in the sets they have lost. Something has to give!
A few keys to victory....
  • Holding down GT's attack leaders....Bertolino, Otene, and Mendes. For example....SMU held Bertolino and Otene to 19 kills total and they had 11 attack errors. That's how to beat GT.
  • Which VVG will show up? She's had a couple of underwhelming matches of late. If she plays to the potential we know she has then watch out.
  • Will Klika and Fairbanks bring their usual outstanding performances? I think so.
  • Would be great for our MB's to shine....and give us just a bit more than our average 2.6 blk/set.
  • Pitt gives back a little more than 6 pts/set from errors (attack, serve, receive, and blocking). That's impressive. We must maintain that for this match.
This is going to be a tough match because it's on GT's home court.

Last edited:
I seem to remember Otene can be streaky. I think if you get into her head with good blocks and defense she can sometimes be rattled.
They are now forced to play a 5-1 due to injury to a setter. The setter they have is pretty good, but she is only 5-7. There should be room to hit over the block on some rotations.

Reactions: vantheman1976
  • Expect GT to come with a lot of energy and intensity following Friday's sweep at the hands of SMU. Not finishing their week at 0 - 2 will be a big motivator.
  • Pitt on average outscores GT by about 2 pts/set and gives back approximately 2 pts/set less than GT......which matches almost exactly the GT 4.4 pts/set loss margin.
  • Pitt's margin of victory in their 33 set winning streak is an astounding 9 pts/set....25 - 16. On the other hand....GT has never lost a set by more than 6 pts.
  • Pitt has been running their opponents out of the gym. GT has never been boat raced in the sets they have lost. Something has to give!
  • Holding down GT's attack leaders....Bertolino, Otene, and Mendes. For example....SMU held Bertolino and Otene to 19 kills total and they had 11 attack errors. That's how to beat GT.
  • Which VVG will show up? She's had a couple of underwhelming matches of late. If she plays to the potential we know she has then watch out.
  • Will Klika and Fairbanks bring their usual outstanding performances? I think so.
  • Would be great for our MB's to shine....and give us just a bit more than our average 2.6 blk/set.
  • Pitt gives back a little more than 6 pts/set from errors (attack, serve, receive, and blocking). That's impressive. We must maintain that for this match.
Regarding Pitt's Middle Blockers, a reminder that Bre Kelley isn't 100% healthy yet. Perhaps that's why Rachel has been favoring setting to the pins?

Reactions: vantheman1976
I seem to remember Otene can be streaky. I think if you get into her head with good blocks and defense she can sometimes be rattled.
They are now forced to play a 5-1 due to injury to a setter. The setter they have is pretty good, but she is only 5-7. There should be room to hit over the block on some rotations.
Spot on....Otene has 57 attack errors in 10 games.....almost 6/match.

I’m generally not a believer that past games have any bearing on future games - but our success against Ga Tech - especially in Atlanta is incredible. Just 1 loss ( at Fitzgerald) vs Ga Tech since joining the ACC.

Needless to say , Ga Tech is desperate for a win at multiple levels.

But - tough to be desperate against arguably ( or simply objectively) the best team in the nation.

Better question might be do we lose a set?

I’m excited to watch !

This should be a huge advantage for Pitt. GT did try to go back to a 6-2 for a bit I believe in the SMU match but the other setter is a walk-on and it didn’t go well. Will be interesting to see how they handle it today

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT