ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt at SU - Yankee Stadium (Schedule Reveal Tonight)

Lots of publicity in the largest media market in the country?
The flip side is that they give up a home game. Will that (and a smaller crowd) be made up for by playing a game in NYC? I’m genuinely curious; I’d be interested to see how athletic departments quantify this stuff in order to consider it a success (e.g., TV ratings, applications boost, etc).

The flip side is that they give up a home game. Will that (and a smaller crowd) be made up for by playing a game in NYC? I’m genuinely curious; I’d be interested to see how athletic departments quantify this stuff in order to consider it a success (e.g., TV ratings, applications boost, etc).

Well my guess is that what will make them think that it's a success is the size of the check that they will get from the people running the game. I mean teams don't give up home games like this unless they can make a lot more money playing at a neutral site. I would assume that isn't Syracuse's only motivation, but it's surely high on the list, probably right at the top.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
So what's your best guess for a game time? You would think this is a tv decision and a major network would slot this into a time frame. I will definitely do this game if a noon or 330 being I am only 3.5 hrs away from NYC. But I don't want to watch in a baseball stadium if I have to find a hotel in New Jersey for the night.

So what's your best guess for a game time? You would think this is a tv decision and a major network would slot this into a time frame. I will definitely do this game if a noon or 330 being I am only 3.5 hrs away from NYC. But I don't want to watch in a baseball stadium if I have to find a hotel in New Jersey for the night.

It's Veterans Day, wonder what kind of draw that is in NYC, I know there's a parade.

Well my guess is that what will make them think that it's a success is the size of the check that they will get from the people running the game. I mean teams don't give up home games like this unless they can make a lot more money playing at a neutral site. I would assume that isn't Syracuse's only motivation, but it's surely high on the list, probably right at the top.

This isnt so bizarre. Syracuse has given up home games to play in New Jersey vs PSU and ND. Guaranteed sellout games at the Dome. But they try to play in NYC every so often and they make money doing so.

Who said it was bizarre? All I said was that they are doing this in part, maybe a small part, maybe a very large part, for the money. Because there is no way they are doing this if it didn't mean extra money.

I think there are a few posters questioning why Syracuse would do this. Its absolutely about money and exposure. The Yankees will pay them more than they can make hosting a nondescript game at the Dome (and no, Pitt and Syr are not football rivals despite playing every year). And they like to do these NY/NJ games every once in awhile. This is an absolutely perfect game to do so because there's no local backlash when a bigger opponent (ND/PSU) was pulled out of the Dome and despite being a mid-brand type of team that wont draw in Syracuse, many Pitt fans will travel to Yankee Stadium making it a good crowd. I'd say 35K Syracuse, 10K Pitt.

Also, did you see Syracuse's 2024 schedule. Maybe the worst ever.

Holy Cross
Army
Ohio
UConn

Win those 4 and 3 ACC games and they're back at the Pinstripe

I think there are a few posters questioning why Syracuse would do this. Its absolutely about money and exposure. The Yankees will pay them more than they can make hosting a nondescript game at the Dome (and no, Pitt and Syr are not football rivals despite playing every year). And they like to do these NY/NJ games every once in awhile. This is an absolutely perfect game to do so because there's no local backlash when a bigger opponent (ND/PSU) was pulled out of the Dome and despite being a mid-brand type of team that wont draw in Syracuse, many Pitt fans will travel to Yankee Stadium making it a good crowd. I'd say 35K Syracuse, 10K Pitt.

Also, did you see Syracuse's 2024 schedule. Maybe the worst ever.

Holy Cross
Army
Ohio
UConn

Win those 4 and 3 ACC games and they're back at the Pinstripe
Damn, that is a seriously lame non-con. I could see army beating them tho.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT