ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Day of Giving/Master Plan update

ThePanthers

Head Coach
May 4, 2009
Yep my wife and I got our cards in the mail last week and plan on giving again this yr. I will not read the ppg so is there any highlights that you can share?

Transformative Academic Facility = School of Computing. Pitt needed to build that 20 years ago, like Penn State did. Their program is in the top 10

Reactions: HailToPitt725
You may be thinking of Penn which has a top degree in this field. BTW CMU is one of the top 5

My mistake. I was looking at online programs where PSU is ranked in the top 10. But I remember being in State College when they where building a brand new school of information technology, maybe 17 years ago? And Pitt had a ranked program at the time (Library and Information Science) and were only making cosmetic changes to that building, which was small and looked like a parking garage. I remember thinking "WTF"?

You are right that we needed to build this building or convert another building to the degree.

My mistake. I was looking at online programs where PSU is ranked in the top 10. But I remember being in State College when they where building a brand new school of information technology, maybe 17 years ago? And Pitt had a ranked program at the time (Library and Information Science) and were only making cosmetic changes to that building, which was small and looked like a parking garage. I remember thinking "WTF"?

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Love the vision that they have for Oakland, which can rival North Carolina’s Research Triangle if you factor in Carnegie Mellon. However, I do hope that they have a good plan for how they’ll fund all of this. Hopefully they don’t have to jack up rates.

Love the vision that they have for Oakland, which can rival North Carolina’s Research Triangle if you factor in Carnegie Mellon. However, I do hope that they have a good plan for how they’ll fund all of this. Hopefully they don’t have to jack up rates.
If it were not for Pitt and CMU, Pittsburgh would be known as East Toledo.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy

I graduated from the IS school 20 years ago. Someone once told me that the building was built to resemble the lunar lander? Not sure if that was true but there was a vague resemblance. I remember the only upgrade they made during my time there was painting it beige so it looked a little less like a parking garage. And the stairwells were so tiny and narrow. I'm 6'3" and it was narrow for me without someone coming down in the other direction.

That being said I loved that building. It was very unique and took lots of great classes there.

Reactions: TheKellyTaylor
#H2P

Pdog21-iGave+IG.png

This information is well over a year old. This is the same master plan that was discussed frequently here when it was being developed. The university is now just presenting it to the city as they’re required to do, so it’s on the city planning agenda. But, some parts of it - especially as it relates to the Victory Heights project - are outdated. The most updated Victory Heights plan is on hailtopitt.com.

That said, the new home for the School of Computing and Information is long overdue, and will be a tremendous addition to central campus. It’s an area where Pitt has devoted a lot of resources into developing the school, but that development is limited without the facilities to support it. It’ll be really nice to finally get it started.

ADVERTISEMENT