Chris Peak

Lair Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 19, 2004
Press release:

Pitt Extends Contract of Director of Athletics Heather Lyke
LINK: Pitt Extends Lyke Contract

PITTSBURGH—
TheUniversity of Pittsburgh has signed Director of Athletics Heather Lyke to a new six-year contract, which will keep her at the university through at least 2024, Chancellor Patrick Gallagher announced today. The move reflects the university’s long-term commitment to strengthening its athletics programs under Lyke, who has just wrapped up her first year at Pitt.

“Heather is leading an ambitious charge to transform Pitt Athletics, and her success here is just beginning,” said Chancellor Gallagher. “I am thrilled that she will continue to push our athletics programs to new heights—and spur positive change for our student-athletes and our university community—for years to come.”

“I am grateful to Chancellor Gallagher and our Board of Trustees for their belief in me, our team and what we are building in Pitt Athletics,” Lyke said. “Their support is invaluable and every member of our department knows our university is committed to helping us construct a championship culture with the right people. I want to thank our university leadership for their belief in our vision of what Pitt Athletics is capable of achieving—athletically, academically, within our campus community and in the City of Pittsburgh.”

Since joining Pitt in March 2017, Lyke has recruited six new head coaches. Last month, she appointed Jeff Capel—who owns a championship pedigree as a former Duke player and coach under the iconic Mike Krzyzewski—as the new leader of the Pitt men’s basketball program. She also named highly regarded Florida State associate head coach Lance White as Pitt’s new women’s coach.

In addition to Capel and White, Lyke hired four other coaches this past year: women’s soccer’s Randy Waldrum, a two-time College Cup champion while at Notre Dame; wrestling’sKeith Gavin, a former NCAA champion at Pitt; gymnastics’ Samantha Snider, who led the Panthers back to NCAA Regional Championship competition for the first time in five years; and diving’s Katie Hazelton, who previously distinguished herself in leading the Duke Diving Club to unprecedented success.

Beyond recruiting top coaching talents, Lyke has outlined an ambitious goal of achieving championship results in each of the Panthers’ 19 intercollegiate sports. Her top priorities include bolstering the student-athlete experience and a culture of comprehensive excellence throughout Pitt Athletics. She also solidified the future of Pitt’s ascending football program by extending the contract of head coach Pat Narduzzi, who has directed the Panthers to signature wins over Clemson, Miami and Penn State during the past two seasons.

“It has been a tremendously rewarding and fun first year at Pitt,” Lyke said. “But the best part is we are just getting started. As proud as we are about our history and tradition, Pitt’s future can be even greater. We are highly motivated to usher in a new Golden Era for Pitt Athletics.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT