ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt fan of 40+ years…

The one that sticks out was that Palko game against the FBS team. That was horrific for many reasons, but Pitt ended up winning.

It was Furman 2004. Pitt won 41-38 after being down 38-24 with 10 minutes left in 4th. That team also won a share of big east, lol. So maybe a good omen. Today was amazing. Very proud of the team. Not sure how well either team will finish the season, but glad to be on this side of the result.

Reactions: JD1976
Name another game where Pitt had a resurrection like today?

The only similar game I can think of is WVU 1989 when Pitt was down 31-6 or something like that and came back to tie it.

Congrats to all of us longtimers!
That’s the only one I can think of.

Name another game where Pitt had a resurrection like today?

The only similar game I can think of is WVU 1989 when Pitt was down 31-6 or something like that and came back to tie it.

Congrats to all of us longtimers!

I was at that game!

31-9 in the 4th quarter, three touchdowns and a field goal, and because (unlike Pat Narduzzi :D ) Mike Gottfried did not understand when to go for two and when not to go for two it ended in a tie.

Last time we ever went to Morganhole for a game.

36-35 Pitt beat wvu and Bobby Bowden in 1970 after being down 35-8 Ran it down their throats and scored on all four possessions in second half. Scored with under a minute to go. Goal posts came down.
“It was the darkest day of my coaching career,” said Bowden of that Backyard Brawl. “I never sat on the ball after that. They got on me for running up the score. I don’t care. I’m not sitting on the ball.

Pitt - UConn in 2009 was similar.

A much different feel, as Pitt had a lot more talent, but I think Panthers were down like 21-6 midway the 3rd.

Hilgrove said best comeback since 1971.
It was 1970. I listened to that game on Armed Forces Radio in Vietnam. The time difference was either 12 or 13 hours and I believe the game started at 1:30 am on Sunday morning there. I had covered the 1967 freshman team and football team for The Pitt News, so I knew some of the players (albeit not well) like QB Dave Havern and TB Denny Ferris.

I don’t know why I didn’t turn it off and fall asleep when it was 35-8, but I kept listening to the second half…and Pitt kept scoring. The final drive had an air of inevitability about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT