ADVERTISEMENT

PITT Football Mt. Rushmore

It is difficult to choose only 4 players. So in fairness, I believe you should choose the most decorated players in school history. My choices of Dorsett, Fitz, Donald and Green are based on that criteria:

1976 – Tony Dorsett: (3) Heisman Trophy, Maxwell Award, Walter Camp Award

1980 - Hugh Green: (3) Walter Camp Award, Lombardi Award, Maxwell Award,

2003 - Larry Fitzgerald: (2) Fred Biletnikoff Award, Walter Camp Award

2013 - Aaron Donald: (4) Chuck Bednarik Award, Bronko Nagurski Award, Outland Trophy, Lombardi Award

All of them Consensus All-Americans (Hugh Green 3 times)

Reactions: indoorgolf
My thoughts exactly. Dorsett is the one player where there is no debate. After that, it's impossible for me to narrow it down to just 3 more.
Nobody else played both ways except “ Iron Mike”. That has to count for something. Mike, TD, Green and Marino are my four.

Based on their performance at Pitt:

Dorsett, Fitz, Donald, Green

All of them are multi award winners and Consensus All-Americans

Good post, but is really is hard to leave Goldberg off, considering the presence of Pitt among the College football Giants, and the fact that College Football was King in those days, plus, for two years he was considered among the top two or three best players in the country. From Wikipedia : Marshall Goldberg - At the University of Pittsburgh, under coach Jock Sutherland, he led the Pitt Panthers to back-to-back national championships in 1936 and 1937. Goldberg's 1936 team won the 1937 Rose Bowl. He finished third in the Heisman Trophy voting in 1937 and was runner-up for the Heisman in 1938. He was also an All-American in both 1937 and 1938, first as a halfback and then as a fullback. During his Pitt career he amassed 1,957 rushing yards, a school record that stood until 1974 when Tony Dorsett surpassed it. Goldberg was part of Pitt's legendary Dream Backfield along with Dick Cassiano, John 'Chick' Chickerneo, & Curly Stebbins. Some experts consider Pitt's Dream Backfield superior to the more famous Four Horsemen of Notre Dame.

This is the coaches My Rushmore. For player we are gonna need a bigger Mt. Dorset and Hugh Green are locks. Then it’s 2 from among Ditka, Marino, Fralic, Fitz and Donald. Arguments can be made for any.

I agree with how you have broken it down. From the second group I would pick Fitz and Donald.

I have the Pitt Greats Mt. Rushmore that they gave away at one of the games two years ago. It's Ditka, Dorsett, Marino and Fitzgerald. The same guys who run the Big Head race.

When that was going on, those in our group simply could not understand why Hugh wasn't in the race.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Good post, but is really is hard to leave Goldberg off, considering the presence of Pitt among the College football Giants, and the fact that College Football was King in those days, plus, for two years he was considered among the top two or three best players in the country. From Wikipedia : Marshall Goldberg - At the University of Pittsburgh, under coach Jock Sutherland, he led the Pitt Panthers to back-to-back national championships in 1936 and 1937. Goldberg's 1936 team won the 1937 Rose Bowl. He finished third in the Heisman Trophy voting in 1937 and was runner-up for the Heisman in 1938. He was also an All-American in both 1937 and 1938, first as a halfback and then as a fullback. During his Pitt career he amassed 1,957 rushing yards, a school record that stood until 1974 when Tony Dorsett surpassed it. Goldberg was part of Pitt's legendary Dream Backfield along with Dick Cassiano, John 'Chick' Chickerneo, & Curly Stebbins. Some experts consider Pitt's Dream Backfield superior to the more famous Four Horsemen of Notre Dame.

Yes, Goldberg would be my number 5 based on finishing in the top three of the Heisman voting two years in a row. If you traded out Fitz for Goldberg, I wouldn’t argue...

Reactions: Parkview57
Pitt's Mount Flushmore... located on the site of the future on-campus stadium: John Bowman, Ed Bozik, Paul Hackett and Steve Pedersen.

Not to steer this into a uniform debate, but does it bother anyone else, even just a tiny bit, that when you see footage of Pitt greats, you see Larry Fitzgerald in that dino-cat abortion of a helmet/uniform back in the day?

And I'll openly admit, I was all for the new unis/color back in they day. Never was a big fan of those helmets though. With hindsight being 20/20 (or 50/50) I wished we had never gotten away from script Pitt.

Oh well, it happens. Remember when BYU changed up their colors/logo/unis? In the early 90s, errbody wanted to be Notre Dame or FSU.
The block letter Pitt with no middle stripe on the helmet was worse imo. By just adding the stripe it looked at least ok.

Outsider perspective....Ditka, Dorsett, Green, Danny Marino. I understand the desire to put Donald or Fitzgerald in there but that’s like putting Ernie Stautner on the mountain.

Aaron Donald won every award he was eligible for - he was that dominant on a very average team
Understood, but level of team matters in these Mt Rushmore discussions. They just do. Stautner was a STUD for Steelers (just like Kiner for Pirates) in the 50s/early 60s. No Pitt player should be on a Mt Rushmore from beyond like early 80s.

Outsider perspective....Ditka, Dorsett, Green, Danny Marino. I understand the desire to put Donald or Fitzgerald in there but that’s like putting Ernie Stautner on the mountain.

Pitt itself has gone with Fitzgerald, Ditka, Dorsett, and Marino.

s-l500.jpg

At least there can be zero argument about the 4 coaches on the list. Warner, Sutherland, Majors, and Sherrill are literally the only guys worth mentioning in the history of the program.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
ADVERTISEMENT