ADVERTISEMENT

PITT gets dissed again

Las Panteras

All Conference
May 11, 2014
Fowler and herbstreit chatting up next week. Miami at Pittsburgh

"The canes should take care of Pittsburgh in front of all those yellow seats".

On national tv.

The ridicule has not been this bad since Johnny Manors II....losing 72-0 to OSU

We have become a national punching bag.

Reactions: bubba31
I'm telling you right now... "in front of all those yellow seats" is what gets Narduzzi fired. Hope he pats himself on the back for not only alienating the local media but his fanbase.

Reactions: drp1tt and KanePA
I been a die hard for over 35 years, and next year status quo, have no passion to go watch most games on the schedule and won't

Reactions: drp1tt
They’re right. It sucks but it’s true. We need to have a better product to sell

wasn't exactly an impressive showing by the hokie faithful.. I'd be surprised if 40k was there, butts in seats. a ton of empty seats for a very good team..

Fowler and herbstreit chatting up next week. Miami at Pittsburgh

"The canes should take care of Pittsburgh in front of all those yellow seats".

On national tv.

The ridicule has not been this bad since Johnny Manors II....losing 72-0 to OSU

We have become a national punching bag.
Thank you Pederson and Nordenberg for being so cheap and narrow-visioned by moving Pitt football to a rented stadium. Karma is a bitch.

I honestly don't even care what other people do anymore. The casual fans that basically determine how not empty the stadium will be don't even make any sense half the time. Nobody wants to show up for the ok State game this year because ysu took us to ot? How exactly are we any lower than when we lost to ysu, or chryst's third year here when we should've won way more than 6 games, we lose at home to Akron? Exactly how far up the college football pecking order were we 3 years ago that this is such a fall from grace?

Pitt Stadium was empty as well. No difference.
Huge difference. Pitt stadium was on campus and there were no yellow seats staring back at the TV cameras. No program that values its football program tears down its stadium

Pitt can't give tickets away to Heinz. Lots of promises but no delivery.
Heinz Field is one of the current weights around Pitt's neck. Tell me one recruit who said I want to play at Steeler Stadium. The more the Steelers win the more pathetic Pitt looks at Heinz.

Reactions: cbpitt2
The revisionist history around an on-campus stadium's impact on attendance is truly amazing.
Revisionist? Do your homework. Pitt has been mocked in the national media twice just this season at Heinz. The desperate attempt by an AD who is in over her head giving away pop thinking it would keep students at the stadium. The Washington Post did a full article on it with tweets from students...

and now ESPN dishes Heinz. It's Pitt at Heinz that is drawing national scorn. Didn't happen at Pitt Stadium.

Reactions: cbpitt2
Revisionist? Do your homework. Pitt has been mocked in the national media twice just this season at Heinz. The desperate attempt by an AD who is in over her head giving away pop thinking it would keep students at the stadium. The Washington Post did a full article on it with tweets from students...

and now ESPN dishes Heinz. It's Pitt at Heinz that is drawing national scorn. Didn't happen at Pitt Stadium.

I mean, for one, it probably did happen at Pitt Stadium. Our attendance there was pathetic.

If the yellow seats worry you, then tarp them off. Easy solution.

I attended numerous games at Pitt Stadium in the 90’s that had less than 20k people. Students didn’t want to walk a quarter mile from their dorms or frat houses. Stop the nonsense.

I honestly don't even care what other people do anymore. The casual fans that basically determine how not empty the stadium will be don't even make any sense half the time. Nobody wants to show up for the ok State game this year because ysu took us to ot? How exactly are we any lower than when we lost to ysu, or chryst's third year here when we should've won way more than 6 games, we lose at home to Akron? Exactly how far up the college football pecking order were we 3 years ago that this is such a fall from grace?

It's the same thing that happened with basketball.

You get a spurt of attendance growth when it's the new thing, and there's something different and exciting about it.

Then, the novelty wears off and you get the excuses about the OOC not being good enough or the style of play being boring or wanting to send a message to the AD or whatever because people can't just admit they can't be bothered.

We got a couple solid years in football now because you had Narduzzi who hyped up his Pittsburgh ties and we had guys like Conner and Boyd, but now the fascination with them is gone. The good players have graduated, Narduzzi is still exactly the same as when he first came here as a life-long assistant coach, and apathy has set in.

It's as predictable as the sun rising every morning, really.

Reactions: ThePanthers
It's Pitt at Heinz that is drawing national scorn. Didn't happen at Pitt Stadium.

It didn't happen at Pitt Stadium because for the most part, other than a very short span, no one gave a rat's ass about Pitt when they played at Pitt Stadium. The 20,000 people at Pitt Stadium for games wasn't any better than 20,000 people at Heinz, it's just that the games at Heinz are on television and the games at Pitt Stadium weren't. Because we sucked so bad and teams that sucked didn't get on television.

It didn't happen at Pitt Stadium because for the most part, other than a very short span, no one gave a rat's ass about Pitt when they played at Pitt Stadium. The 20,000 people at Pitt Stadium for games wasn't any better than 20,000 people at Heinz, it's just that the games at Heinz are on television and the games at Pitt Stadium weren't. Because we sucked so bad and teams that sucked didn't get on television.

Right, if it didn't happen at Pitt stadium it's because the TV exposure and social media rendered Pitt completely irrelevant.

It's sure as hell not because we somehow were able to miraculously draw respectable crowds every week.

Right, if it didn't happen at Pitt stadium it's because the TV exposure and social media rendered Pitt completely irrelevant.

It's sure as hell not because we somehow were able to miraculously draw respectable crowds every week.

No one was tweeting about there being only 500 students at a game in 1994 because twitter didn't exist, not because there weren't games with 500 students at them.

If Pitt would have spent half the effort and money getting fans and students to games at Pitt Stadium as they have to do with Heinz, then attendance would have been better.

However, Pitt sent fans the message that they don't care, so why expect fans to to show up?

I been a die hard for over 35 years, and next year status quo, have no passion to go watch most games on the schedule and won't

Agreed. Use to watch and go to every game like it was more important then anything. Now... Meh.

No one was tweeting about there being only 500 students at a game in 1994 because twitter didn't exist, not because there weren't games with 500 students at them.

Yeah I just read back my post and I totally should have proofread.

Was meaning to convey that the TV exposure and social media didn't exist back then to call us out on it but totally missed the mark.

#Bourbon

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Was really hoping for a win today so Narduzzi could taunt Fuente with a comment about how tough it was for his team to get up for a game in half filled Lane Stadium.

Losing faith that he would’ve been clever enough to come up with it though.

If Pitt would have spent half the effort and money getting fans and students to games at Pitt Stadium as they have to do with Heinz, then attendance would have been better.

However, Pitt sent fans the message that they don't care, so why expect fans to to show up?

I mean, are we really getting to the point where we're saying Pitt should have had shuttles for students to get to Pitt Stadium?

Because the effort to get students to Heinz Field doesn't extend beyond "here's a shuttle".

Reactions: clarks4life
Was really hoping for a win today so Narduzzi could taunt Fuente with a comment about how tough it was for his team to get up for a game in half filled Lane Stadium.

Losing faith that he would’ve been clever enough to come up with it though.

He would've had a sick burn to tweet out about Penn State, though, I'm sure.

Duke gets 10k in a 30k stadium, even when they're a good team... and nobody says shit.

Miami gets 20k in a 70k stadium last year.... and nobody says shit.

UCLA has 60k empty seats in the Rose Bowl... and nobody says shit.

I was at VT today... and they had 15k empty seats, for a 7-3 team that was ranked all season.. on senior day and perfect weather.... and nobody says shit.

But Pitt gets 25k the day after Thanksgiving when they're having a 4-7 season... and people say shit.

It's boring, old, and nonsense.

I mean, are we really getting to the point where we're saying Pitt should have had shuttles for students to get to Pitt Stadium?

Actually Pitt kind of did have shuttles to get students to Pitt Stadium. They weren't for getting to the stadium per se, but the campus shuttle buses ran on football Saturdays. You could theoretically get on the campus bus and ride it up the hill to the stadium.

Duke gets 10k in a 30k stadium, even when they're a good team... and nobody says shit.

I was at VT today... and they had 15k empty seats, for a 7-3 team that was ranked all season.. on senior day and perfect weather.... and nobody says shit.

But Pitt gets 25k the day after Thanksgiving when they're having a 4-7 season... and people say shit.

Yep, that’s why Fuente had a lot of balls choosing Pitt to belittle for their sparse attendance.

Anyone here ever attend a late season meaningless UCLA game? You can literally have an entire zip code to yourself in the Coliseum.

Yep, that’s why Fuente had a lot of balls choosing Pitt to belittle for their sparse attendance.

Anyone here ever attend a late season meaningless UCLA game? You can literally have an entire zip code to yourself in the Coliseum.
UCLA, for the exception of the USC game one could walk up to the ticket booth on game day and purchase a ticket on the 50, 40, just name it. Lived out there for about 8 years when Tommy Prothro was coach but mostly followed USC.

WVU had numerous empty seats upper level when I check on their lost to Texas today and I doubt that all the people not in those seats were in the outhouse.

UCLA, for the exception of the USC game one could walk up to the ticket booth on game day and purchase a ticket on the 50, 40, just name it. Lived out there for about 8 years when Tommy Prothro was coach but mostly followed USC.

Prothro? Wow no offense but you truly are an Old Panther.

I bet he’s been dead for at least 20 years or more.

Reactions: oldpanther
wasn't exactly an impressive showing by the hokie faithful.. I'd be surprised if 40k was there, butts in seats. a ton of empty seats for a very good team..

I was in Blacksburg today, very lucky to get out of there with a win.

The students went home yesterday for Thanksgiving and that contributed to the less than impressive showing attendance-wise.

Herbstreit is a tool. Wouldn't worry about what he says.

Prothro? Wow no offense but you truly are an Old Panther.

I bet he’s been dead for at least 20 years or more.
No offense I should probably been dead for about 20 years also. Pitt played UCLA in 1966 or 1967 and HC Hart started a true freshman at QB Dave Haveren and he comes running onto the field in white shoes and UCLA put about 63 points on Pitt that night. Mostly followed McKays USC teams and attended numerous games during my time there.

No offense I should probably been dead for about 20 years also. Pitt played UCLA in 1966 or 1967 and HC Hart started a true freshman at QB Dave Haveren and he comes running onto the field in white shoes and UCLA put about 63 points on Pitt that night. Mostly followed McKays USC teams and attended numerous games during my time there.

Great era to follow UCLA and USC football. Horrible time to be a Pitt fan though.

Dave Havern was a decent QB without a lot of talent around him. Just looked him up and saw he was still coaching at Shadyside Academy.

this is an attack on the people of Pittsburgh, not the University of Pittsburgh. Of course many wont see it that way.

Maybe the VT fans didn't show because they were playing PITT. Maybe we are not a good draw for the home teams.

Huge difference. Pitt stadium was on campus and there were no yellow seats staring back at the TV cameras. No program that values its football program tears down its stadium

Pitt can't give tickets away to Heinz. Lots of promises but no delivery.
Heinz Field is one of the current weights around Pitt's neck. Tell me one recruit who said I want to play at Steeler Stadium. The more the Steelers win the more pathetic Pitt looks at Heinz.

Here is what is does . It takes away from the Pitt student love for the team. They leave Pitt now without much connection to the team, so no real fan there. We lose the passionate future fans with it off campus , because the experience sucks

Reactions: htp123
Great era to follow UCLA and USC football. Horrible time to be a Pitt fan though.

Dave Havern was a decent QB without a lot of talent around him. Just looked him up and saw he was still coaching at Shadyside Academy.

Never a horrible time if you are a fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT