ADVERTISEMENT

PITT gets dissed again

A couple of places that I noticed a ton of empty seats the past 2 weeks were Tennessee, WVU, VT, Arkansas just to name a few. I’m not making excuses for pitt, but the yellow seats make it so much worse. At the beginning of the Steelers game Thursday there were still a few spots of unoccupied seats and they easily stood out among the 65k or so that already made it to their seat for kickoff.

A couple of places that I noticed a ton of empty seats the past 2 weeks were Tennessee, WVU, VT, Arkansas just to name a few. I’m not making excuses for pitt, but the yellow seats make it so much worse. At the beginning of the Steelers game Thursday there were still a few spots of unoccupied seats and they easily stood out among the 65k or so that already made it to their seat for kickoff.
This is true. And after halftime, when 3/4 of the black seats are still empty, it doesn't come off looking nearly as bad. You can barely tell they are empty.

Wish there was a way to replace the yellow seats when they address the tarps.

I will be there. I don't care about our record. I try to attend as many games as I can, but with 3 young boys and their activities it is hard. The comment about there being 12000-15000 people in the stands and all the yellow seats really p8888d me off. Sorry Kirk but there are MAJOR sports in our city and not just OSU football 3 months of the year. BTW when someone tells me they have an NHL team, when were they ever relevent?

If you win our fan base stretches to be able to look fine in that stadium (which ironically is Ann iconic venue already for the very sport we are talking about)

So let's make a deal. I'll show up. You show up. Make a commitment to win

Fowler and herbstreit chatting up next week. Miami at Pittsburgh

"The canes should take care of Pittsburgh in front of all those yellow seats".

On national tv.

The ridicule has not been this bad since Johnny Manors II....losing 72-0 to OSU

We have become a national punching bag.
I think you are severely overestimating how many people in the country actually heard that or really spent much time thinking about it.

I think you are severely overestimating how many people in the country actually heard that or really spent much time thinking about it.

WBR,

This sounds like an excuse to me. Not trying to stir the pot with you, but c'mon man. .....

Any Pitt fan that was watching last night heard this and it stings. Any opposing fan that has been to HF or watched on TV is smirking.

And for the millions that watched last night and dont care....they still heard this.

This has to be a first in televised CFB.......announcers discussing the empty seats at a game that has yet to be played.

Reactions: bubba31

On national tv.

Just another example of Pitt Admin not strategically changing the environment to help jump start a new generation of recruits and fan base (younger).

I was in Blacksburg today, very lucky to get out of there with a win.

The students went home yesterday for Thanksgiving and that contributed to the less than impressive showing attendance-wise.

Herbstreit is a tool. Wouldn't worry about what he says.
Student section was full for the first half.

Then half of them left during halftime.... of a 10-7 game.

Student section was half empty for the second half.

And dont bullshit me, because i was there.

Students are the same everywhere I guess, on campus or not.

It's close , next year will be telling
It's nowhere in the same universe as the 90's. We certainly have more than our fair share of ultimate drama queens on this board.

I would bet that most of the folks bitching about attendance and snide media comment about "yellow seats" don't even go to games.

Pitt Stadium wasn't sold out during the most recent golden age in the mid 70's to the mid 80's and the population in Pittsburgh was a lot larger.

Pitt is having a bad year. Losing the guy they thought would be their QB didn't help. Top 25 WVU lost their QB yesterday and then lost to a mediocre Texas team at home. FSU was preseason top 10 and is 4-6 overall, 0-4 against ranked teams...oh they also had their QB knocked out in the first game.

Perspective isn't a strong suit around here.

Last edited:
WBR,

This sounds like an excuse to me. Not trying to stir the pot with you, but c'mon man. .....

Any Pitt fan that was watching last night heard this and it stings. Any opposing fan that has been to HF or watched on TV is smirking.

And for the millions that watched last night and dont care....they still heard this.

This has to be a first in televised CFB.......announcers discussing the empty seats at a game that has yet to be played.
I don't like them saying it. Just pointing out that some Pitt fans are a little too thin skinned when they get criticized. There are billions of people in the world that have no idea about our yellow seats.

Duke gets 10k in a 30k stadium, even when they're a good team... and nobody says shit.

Miami gets 20k in a 70k stadium last year.... and nobody says shit.

UCLA has 60k empty seats in the Rose Bowl... and nobody says shit.

I was at VT today... and they had 15k empty seats, for a 7-3 team that was ranked all season.. on senior day and perfect weather.... and nobody says shit.

But Pitt gets 25k the day after Thanksgiving when they're having a 4-7 season... and people say shit.

It's boring, old, and nonsense.
Yeah, it’s a national conspiracy against us.
You sound like a PSU fan.

On national tv.

It's deserved isn't it? Can anyone argue that it isn't? Pitt Athletics = GARBAGE!

This obsession with full stadiums is a joke. Turn on college football games, the majority are less full than Pitt games. The elite hillbilly schools in hick towns with nothing better to do being the exception.

I'm telling you right now... "in front of all those yellow seats" is what gets Narduzzi fired. Hope he pats himself on the back for not only alienating the local media but his fanbase.

How did he alienate his fan base? That is hogwash. The lack of attendance has been historical issue. And even this season the fans gave up on team going into week 3 with a 1-1 record against a Top 10 team coming off back to back 8 win seasons.

You would think a game against a Top 10 in Ok St at home would draw a decent crowd to give the home team some support. Nope, there might have been 30K there. Now Pitt stunk that game and embarrassed themselves but our fans were an embarrassment before the opening whistle ever sounded.

I can't blame him for being frustrated with fan support if he feels that way. I am frustrated with our fan support as a fan that goes to games. I am not asking for a sell out but no excuse not to have 40K + each game.

Duke gets 10k in a 30k stadium, even when they're a good team... and nobody says shit.

Miami gets 20k in a 70k stadium last year.... and nobody says shit.

UCLA has 60k empty seats in the Rose Bowl... and nobody says shit.

I was at VT today... and they had 15k empty seats, for a 7-3 team that was ranked all season.. on senior day and perfect weather.... and nobody says shit.

But Pitt gets 25k the day after Thanksgiving when they're having a 4-7 season... and people say shit.

It's boring, old, and nonsense.

UCLA has led the Pac-10/12 in attendance multiple times. With a bad team. I don't think they're fair to have on this list.

Virginia Tech fans are pretty good. They sold out over 100 games before they expanded the stadium. They typically turn out and are loud. They're also in a rural area where their college team is a big deal, unlike Pitt.

Miami's attendance problems are widely discussed in Miami and occasionally in the national media. It's not just Pitt being picked on. There is no media conspiracy against Pitt.

ADVERTISEMENT