ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Has 5 Chances

Reactions: PittFanDan17
VT and UCF are the best chances. Miami would be next depending on how their QB is playing down that stretch of the season.

Just shows that we play 5 ranked teams my man.

Does it still count as beating a ranked team if Miami is 5-6 when Pitt plays them? Or maybe Va Tech is 4-5?

Those polls are pretty much meaningless as the people who vote on them literally have no clue which teams are better than others. The majority of people on this board could do a better job.

Reactions: caleco's
Miami and Vtech won't be a combined 9-11 or have losing records this season.

The polls dictate who needs to play their way out of the top 25 and who needs to play their way into the top 25. It's much more difficult to play your way in. People don't like to admit that they were wrong.

Does it still count as beating a ranked team if Miami is 5-6 when Pitt plays them? Or maybe Va Tech is 4-5?

Those polls are pretty much meaningless as the people who vote on them literally have no clue which teams are better than others. The majority of people on this board could do a better job.

Bingo. It doesn't mean anything until the final rankings come out at the end of the year. That will tell you whether it was truly a quality win or not...

Miami and VT wont be .500 you troll
Penn State sucks.

Cant be to careful ....
What makes the polls really bad is that the voting block for that conference ( clueless is right) will over vote a team or teams to try to protect the top teams. You see it every year. Someone on one of the boards did a great job last year by posting the voters name, affiliation ,and how they voted. I was amazed at how people voted and how High they ranked certain teams

B1G is the worse conference in P5. We will beast Penn State but it wont be easy. I think that is Picketts "Hello CFB" game to show the CFB that who he is and he'll light them up.

The PAC was by far the worst conference last year. The B1G was probably the 2nd worse conference top to bottom.

B1G is the worse conference in P5. We will beast Penn State but it wont be easy. I think that is Picketts "Hello CFB" game to show the CFB that who he is and he'll light them up.

The PAC was by far the worst conference last year. The B1G was probably the 2nd worse conference top to bottom.
By far? Not even close. B1G is terrible I'm sorry. Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, NW, Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska, Minnesota, even Iowa besides beating OSU. Just not that good of a conference with that many bad teams. Its a joke they get so much love. I wish Pitt would've went there over the ACC at times. Would have benefited in more sports there even past football.

I'd take the Big Ten over the PAC 12.
Michigan was down last year due to injuries at QB and how young they were across the board. But Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan are a good top tier. They will be as talented as just about any team in the country this season.
Wisconsin and Michigan State are really well coached teams that get the most out of their talent.
I agree that the middle to bottom half of the conference sucks. Duke's southern talent looked like a vintage 90's FSU team against NW last year, and it's not like Duke is that talented of a southern team.
But the top of the Big Ten is strong enough to make up for it.

The PAC 12 isn't that strong at the top.
USC recruits at a high level and sometimes puts that recruiting together, but didn't really last year, and it took them a while to put it together the year before that. And now they are probably going to start the true freshman at QB this year that doesn't even enroll until the summer.
Washington gets by with a very weak schedule. During their two year run, they've only played 3 top tier teams (USC, Bama, and Penn State), and they've lost to all three of them. They just don't have the talent yet to beat teams with a lot of talent. They need a couple of more recruiting classes like this past season to really be a "top" team.
Then it's just a bunch of okay teams. Oregon maybe has the second best overall talent in the conference, but they have a new coach. Stanford has just kind of been okay the last few years. Washington State hasn't been pretty good but is facing a massive rebuild this year. Arizona is an okay team with maybe the most excited player in college football taking them as far as he can, but now they have a new coach. Arizona State is an okay team with probably the most laughable coaching hire in at least a decade.

By far? Not even close. B1G is terrible I'm sorry. Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, NW, Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska, Minnesota, even Iowa besides beating OSU. Just not that good of a conference with that many bad teams. Its a joke they get so much love. I wish Pitt would've went there over the ACC at times. Would have benefited in more sports there even past football.

You realize Pitt probably goes 0.500 at best if those "terrible teams" were on their conference schedule this year?

Reactions: AJSH2P

Let me stop you right there, this is just a bad take. Cut out the bias

Pitt is on the same tier as all of those teams you just mentioned, if not lower (Nebraska, NW).

Let me stop you right there, this is just a bad take. Cut out the bias

Pitt is on the same tier as all of those teams you just mentioned, if not lower (Nebraska, NW).
I agree with your statement on NEB and NW, especially after NEB getting Frost and NW's new facilities, but the rest of those schools were significantly better then IMHO

You realize Pitt probably goes 0.500 at best if those "terrible teams" were on their conference schedule this year?
I disagree with this, I see us beating ILL, IU, RU, MD, MN, NEB, & Purdue. The only one I could see a toss up would be MD because of that freshman qb they had last year before he got hurt, and maybe NEB with Frost.

I agree with your statement on NEB and NW, especially after NEB getting Frost and NW's new facilities, but the rest of those schools were significantly better then IMHO

I think there's some recent proof that Iowa is better. "Significantly better" would seem to describe a Pitt team that hasn't existed in a long time.

Reactions: cashisking884
I disagree with this, I see us beating ILL, IU, RU, MD, MN, NEB, & Purdue. The only one I could see a toss up would be MD because of that freshman qb they had last year before he got hurt, and maybe NEB with Frost.

But we wouldn't play most of those teams. The Big Ten is split by geographic region. If we were in the Big Ten, we would have taken one of the spots of MD or Rutgers. Maybe the Big Ten adds both of them and one other team, but I doubt it. It's probably us and MD/RU. But we would be in the Big Ten East.
Which means our yearly schedule would be have:

Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State

How many of those games do you have us winning on a yearly basis? How many years do you have us even coming close to competing for a Big Ten East title with those teams?

But we wouldn't play most of those teams. The Big Ten is split by geographic region. If we were in the Big Ten, we would have taken one of the spots of MD or Rutgers. Maybe the Big Ten adds both of them and one other team, but I doubt it. It's probably us and MD/RU. But we would be in the Big Ten East.
Which means our yearly schedule would be have:

Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State

How many of those games do you have us winning on a yearly basis? How many years do you have us even coming close to competing for a Big Ten East title with those teams?
Definitely don't hate what you're saying, but I would see easy wins over IN, RU, and MD. What about Michigan in recent years makes you think they are a better football team than us? I see toss ups against PSU and MSU. OSU would beat us 99/100 though.

Definitely don't hate what you're saying, but I would see easy wins over IN, RU, and MD. What about Michigan in recent years makes you think they are a better football team than us? I see toss ups against PSU and MSU. OSU would beat us 99/100 though.

This is crazy talk.

Reactions: pittdan77

There is exactly zero evidence that IN, RU, and MD would be "easy wins". You just can't argue that about a Pitt team that lost to UNC last year and barely got past Duke. Michigan and MSU are at least on the same level as Virginia Tech and Penn State, as they sit today, is probably closer to Clemson than Miami.

It's great that you love Pitt but don't put down other programs and other conferences until your team is at least consistently competitive.

Michigan won 10 games each in 2015 and 2016. They basically were an inch away from making the playoffs in 2016. In 2017 they had a very young team, that had as crazy a year at QB as we did. Which caused them to slip a little. This year the S&P+ has them projected to return to their 15 and 16 forms and be a Top 10 team. And we have people asking, "What makes you think Michigan has been a better team than us recently?" You can't explain that.

The Big Ten East has 4 teams projected in the S&P+ Top 15 this year. "I think we would struggle with Ohio State. The rest are coin flips." I had to make sure I hadn't accidentally signed onto the Alabama Board.

Reactions: Jpripper88
There is exactly zero evidence that IN, RU, and MD would be "easy wins". You just can't argue that about a Pitt team that lost to UNC last year and barely got past Duke. Michigan and MSU are at least on the same level as Virginia Tech and Penn State, as they sit today, is probably closer to Clemson than Miami.

It's great that you love Pitt but don't put down other programs and other conferences until your team is at least consistently competitive.
Didagree. I do t see VT as an equivalent program to either Michigan or MSU at this point. I also don’t think PSU is anywhere near the caliber of Clemson, or even OSU. Seeing as how PSU lost to Pitt, MSU and Michigan in the course of the last 2 years, I dont see how you have them close to Clemson. They have had the benefit the last 2 years of special players in Barkley and McSorley. Barkley is gone, McSorley will be soon. Michigan, MSU, OSU and Wisconsin have been getting stronger. I don’t think PSU will sustain as a top 2-3 team in the B10 going forward.

Didagree. I do t see VT as an equivalent program to either Michigan or MSU at this point. I also don’t think PSU is anywhere near the caliber of Clemson, or even OSU. Seeing as how PSU lost to Pitt, MSU and Michigan in the course of the last 2 years, I dont see how you have them close to Clemson. They have had the benefit the last 2 years of special players in Barkley and McSorley. Barkley is home, McSorley will be soon. Michigan, MSU, OSU and Wisconsin have been getting stronger. I don’t think PSU will sustain as a top 2-3 team in the B10 going forward.

That assessment is based largely on the trajectory of PSU football. At the moment, they're recruiting and playing at a level that is good enough to be in the CFP conversation. Yeah, they haven't gotten over the hump yet but PSU is closer to OSU than they are anyone else in the B1G. Not sure how you see them otherwise. They are basically recruiting lights out right now. Assuming they don't screw that up, I find it very difficult to believe they'll take a step back.

Reactions: cashisking884
Didagree. I do t see VT as an equivalent program to either Michigan or MSU at this point. I also don’t think PSU is anywhere near the caliber of Clemson, or even OSU. Seeing as how PSU lost to Pitt, MSU and Michigan in the course of the last 2 years, I dont see how you have them close to Clemson. They have had the benefit the last 2 years of special players in Barkley and McSorley. Barkley is gone, McSorley will be soon. Michigan, MSU, OSU and Wisconsin have been getting stronger. I don’t think PSU will sustain as a top 2-3 team in the B10 going forward.

They lost to a 10 win Michigan team that came an inch away from the playoffs.
They lost by 3 to a Michigan State team that won 10 games.
Meanwhile, Clemson has lost to 5 loss Pitt and non-bowl Syracuse during that time.
You're also not properly projecting Penn State going forward. Their recruiting classes have now turned elite and capable of competing with anybody in the country.
Over the last few years, they have been relatively average in terms of talent, because the recruiting classes have been down. That's why they needed players like Barkley and McSorley. When you aren't loaded across the board, you need a "Vick" or "Jackson" or "Barkley" type player.
But as your talent level across the board turns elite, you don't need that. Clemson is an example of that. They lost their "generational" type QB, and still went to the playoffs. Why? They have elevated the talent level across the board to the point where that type of QB is not needed to run off 10+ wins a year.

Reactions: pittdan77

The level of their recruiting would suggest otherwise. True, PSU hit the jackpot with Barkley and Gesicki and McSorley, but a lot of the players around them in their draft years were 3 stars or low 4 stars. The recruiting classes since then have gotten better and better. They also have their share of 5-star guys, of which they had none a few years ago.

PSU is going to be fine. Although, that Big Ten East is a meat grinder. Up to this point only OSU has had the depth to carry on with the inevitable injuries that come with that kind of schedule. We'll see what happens moving forward, but OSU's recruiting is just ungodly successful. There's no other northern team that can slow-play high 4-stars from the south and get away with it, for certain.

ADVERTISEMENT