ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt has no rivals in hoops.

Dec 1, 2006
In football, the rivals are clear. Penn St. number one, WVU number two. ND would be a kind of a one way rival, and Cuse would be a mild rival, due to our long history with them. In hoops, it's very muddy. At one time, the Dukes would have been the clear answer to this question, but their long decline has pretty much killed the rivalry off. WVU has always been pretty heated, but their move to the B12 means we don't play them regularly anymore. PSU has never been a real rival in hoops. Nova and UConn got pretty hot at various times during the BE days, but that's over now. Is there a team on the horizon that could become a real rival for Pitt? Do the Hoopies need to be on the schedule yearly to solve this problem?

WVU is the only possibility. Just need to make regular. Which I think would be on both teams interest

In football, the rivals are clear. Penn St. number one, WVU number two. ND would be a kind of a one way rival, and Cuse would be a mild rival, due to our long history with them. In hoops, it's very muddy. At one time, the Dukes would have been the clear answer to this question, but their long decline has pretty much killed the rivalry off. WVU has always been pretty heated, but their move to the B12 means we don't play them regularly anymore. PSU has never been a real rival in hoops. Nova and UConn got pretty hot at various times during the BE days, but that's over now. Is there a team on the horizon that could become a real rival for Pitt? Do the Hoopies need to be on the schedule yearly to solve this problem?
College rivalries have been fading away due to the shifts in conferences. Basketball has very few rivalries nowadays.

WVU is a big rival and will be on the schedule forever probably.

Duquesne is going to be top half A10 good under Dambrot. Might even finish 2nd in the A10 this year. This rivalry will get better.

Pitt fans consider Syracuse to be a pretty big rival. And when you have Duke and UNC in your league, those are monumental games for the home fanbase that seem bigger than rivalry games.

We need to get Nova, UConn and Georgetown back on the schedule. They were great rivalries. Right now it’s WVU and Cuse. Louisville was a nice rivalry too but we have ro win a few of those to get it back to where we were

We need to get Nova, UConn and Georgetown back on the schedule. They were great rivalries. Right now it’s WVU and Cuse. Louisville was a nice rivalry too but we have ro win a few of those to get it back to where we were
I liked those big east games too but you can’t have all of them on the non con schedule every year bc ACC is just too loaded. I’d like to see us play a good preseason tourney, WVU, Duquesne, our big 10 challenge game, and then ACC games. I don’t think they can schedule too much on top of that.

I liked those big east games too but you can’t have all of them on the non con schedule every year bc ACC is just too loaded. I’d like to see us play a good preseason tourney, WVU, Duquesne, our big 10 challenge game, and then ACC games. I don’t think they can schedule too much on top of that.
I would be happy with at least scheduling one Big East team a year, and possibly meeting up with another during one of the many non conference tournaments or neutral site games.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Wrong!!!!
I'd give u Cuse, and a rivalry could develop as we get better, and a rivalry is a two way street.
So right now by far WVU is the most likely and currently our only tangible rivalry. With a lil bit of Cuse at 2nd.
Now if you imagine a fictional rivalry on your end, that's cool

I would be happy with at least scheduling one Big East team a year, and possibly meeting up with another during one of the many non conference tournaments or neutral site games.

Capel said 2 things in a preseason presser that surprised me a bit.

1. He'd like to play in NYC every year. Nobody plays HS bball in NY anymore, so whats the point?

2. He'd like to play an old Big East team every year. As an ACC guy, I didnt think the old Big East stuff meant anything to him.

You can feel the hate when Pitt and WVU play,I love it.As long as Huggy is breathing we'll play if Capel wants to.

I think Syracuse is a rival in hoops.
I absolutely despise them as much as I do psu in football. In the Big East days they also had Georgetown and we also had wvu. Pitt-‘Cuse was still good but not each other’s main rivals. Coming to the ACC together though already having the history of some good matchups with each other, I think Pitt and Syracuse jumped to the top of each other’s in conference rivals list.

I absolutely despise them as much as I do psu in football. In the Big East days they also had Georgetown and we also had wvu. Pitt-‘Cuse was still good but not each other’s main rivals. Coming to the ACC together though already having the history of some good matchups with each other, I think Pitt and Syracuse jumped to the top of each other’s in conference rivals list.
Agreed. I have several Cuse buddies that I've met down here in North Carolina (there's surprisingly lots of them around) and they definitely do not like Pitt.

Reactions: Pittx9
For me , to be a true rival you need somewhat equal footing. Syracuse has multiple final fours and championships, we have zero. Until we break down a door or two , any rivalry will be somewhat diluted IMO. Feel free to blast away. My 2 cents.

For me , to be a true rival you need somewhat equal footing. Syracuse has multiple final fours and championships, we have zero. Until we break down a door or two , any rivalry will be somewhat diluted IMO. Feel free to blast away. My 2 cents.
Fair point, but I don't necessarily agree. It's more about competitive games among the two teams. It's not like Pitt has been chopped liver this century, we've just fallen short in post-season play.

With the move to the ACC , and WVU in the Big12 , Syracuse is the closest thing we have to a rival right now... you could throw Louisville in there , but it lacks the history and they won 12 in a row until this year.

The WVU game has to happen every season IMO. Heck... may as well throw in Uconn, Georgetown, Nova, Providence, etc... play em all!

At one point during the height of our Big East glory, we were everyone's rival. All we need to do is win. The hate will flow our way. I don't know why we aren't bigger rivals with Syracuse. At least from the Orange perspective, we are big rivals in football and basketball..

Reactions: freddietee511
I don't understand why we haven't been playing Ohio St ,with them being in such a close proximity. That could've turned into a nice rivalry when we were both top teams.

I feel that we should be playing every major school within a 4-5 hr drive at least every 2-3 yrs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT