ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt is near "backing into" the ACC baseball tourney

California Panther

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 5, 2001
Pitt got swept at home by UL this weekend, but their closest competitor for the 12th and final spot in the ACCT, VT also was swept at home by Miami. So Pitt sits with 11 ACC wins and VT has 8 ACC wins. Pitt has already clinched over BC since BC has 7 wins (3 left)and cannot catch Pitt's 11.

2 ACC teams stay home and right now BC is one and VT looks like the other one.

So I guess Pitt's magic number is ONE since VT does own the tie-breaker over Pitt. Either 1 Pitt win or 1 VT loss means that Pitt will play in the ACC baseball tourney for the 1st time. Pitt plays Atlantic 1st place Clemson at home and VT plays at Coastal 1st place UNC. Both could get swept again next weekend. The only way Pitt doesn't make the tourney is if VT wins all 3 games at 1st place UNC and Pitt loses all 3 games vs Clemson.

Last edited:
Pitt got swept at home by UL this weekend, but their closest competitor for the 12th and final spot in the ACCT, VT also was swept at home by Miami. So Pitt sits with 11 ACC wins and VT has 8 ACC wins. Pitt has already clinched over BC since BC has 7 wins (3 left)and cannot catch Pitt's 11.

2 ACC teams stay home and right now BC is one and VT looks like the other one.

So I guess Pitt's magic number is ONE since VT does own the tie-breaker over Pitt. Either 1 Pitt win or 1 VT loss means that Pitt will play in the ACC baseball tourney for the 1st time. Pitt plays Atlantic 1st place Clemson at home and VT plays at Coastal 1st place UNC. Both could get swept again next weekend. The only way Pitt doesn't make the tourney is if VT wins all 3 games at 1st place UNC.

Does VT have to win all 3 and Pitt lose all 3?

What if VT goes 2-1 and Pitt goes 0-3.

The interesting (and unfair I guess) is a team like Pitt could back in, go 1-1 in their group and find their way into the semis on a run-differential tiebreaker and he only 2 games away from a bid. Not saying it'll happen but a low seed like Pitt winning the ACC Baseball Tournament is like a billion times easier than a low seed winning the ACC Basketball Tournament. Part of that is the tournament setup, part of that is the nature of the sport of baseball

Does VT have to win all 3 and Pitt lose all 3?

What if VT goes 2-1 and Pitt goes 0-3.
VT is 3 wins behind Pitt with 3 games to play. So to tie Pitt, VT has to win all 3 and Pitt has to lose all 3, then they'd be tied and VT would win the tie-breaker and get in.

In your scenario, if VT goes 2-1 and Pitt 0-3, Pitt ends with 11 wins and VT ends with 10 wins and Pitt is ahead.

For perspective, since being in the ACC we are 8-34 in the month of May (including the UL series).. We will make the tournament this year, but it will most likely be as an 11, or 12 seed--the latter more likely.

UVA has four games left, but we have the tie-breaker and are 2-games up so I see the 11-seed as the most likely scenario.

For perspective, since being in the ACC we are 8-34 in the month of May (including the UL series).. We will make the tournament this year, but it will most likely be as an 11, or 12 seed--the latter more likely.

UVA has four games left, but we have the tie-breaker and are 2-games up so I see the 11-seed as the most likely scenario.
UVA has 10 wins, so we are only 1 win ahead and they do have that extra game tomorrow night. I guess the tie-breaker makes us 2 games ahead though in reality. If we could have just held on for 1 win in the UL series we'd be sitting much easier, getting 1 from Clemson may be even tougher. UVA finishes up at Wake and Wake has 11 wins.

I for one am going to try and get to one of the Pitt Clemson games this weekend

Pitt certainly at a disadvantage in this conference but the program seemingly gets better each year.

OK, so UVa is really 2 wins away from the ACCT. I cant see Pitt winning a game this weekend.
Pitt's main concern isn't UVA, it is VT. If VT loses even one game at Coastal leader UNC, Pitt has backed into the tourney whether Pitt gets swept by #7 Clemson or not. 12 seed or whatever, Pitt will be in for the first time ever.

VT's game at UNC has been moved up to 1 PM today because of weather, so if UNC wins, Pitt is IN the ACCT before they even take the field against Clemson at 6 PM tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT