ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt job is attractive

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
If we are all honest with ourselves, we’ve known for a long time that Narduzzi is not the right guy for the job. But we had ridiculous instability with the Head Coaching job and we needed to break that trend. Now that we’ve done that, we’ve shown that you can be mediocre for 7 years and have job security. Who wouldn’t want that?

It’s a selling point I am sure. I think that was the point of his contract extension. A lot of people bash Heather Lyke for extending his contract at 5-7. I still believe it was the right thing to do, even though I think his tenure should now end. Narduzzi brought us stability. I hope we look back on his tenure and say he and to a lesser extent Paul Chryst saved the program.

Attractive to who though? It feels to me the more attractive the candidate is the less likely he’d be to take it.

Of course a bunch of guys would take it. But would it be someone who would elevate things some or another in a long line of 6-8 win seasons?

Fickell’s name popped up on here again yesterday. And understandably so. But that’s a pipe dream. He’s not coming here.

Joe The Panther Fan has pointed out numerous times how we haven’t hit on anyone in the last 40 years. It’s possible Chrsyst could have been an exception. And it’s also possible he’d have been more of the same.

But that doesn’t mean Pitt shouldn’t try. I want off of this merry go round.

Attractive to who though? It feels to me the more attractive the candidate is the less likely he’d be to take it.

Of course a bunch of guys would take it. But would it be someone who would elevate things some or another in a long line of 6-8 win seasons?

Fickell’s name popped up on here again yesterday. And understandably so. But that’s a pipe dream. He’s not coming here.

Joe The Panther Fan has pointed out numerous times how we haven’t hit on anyone in the last 40 years. It’s possible Chrsyst could have been an exception. And it’s also possible he’d have been more of the same.

But that doesn’t mean Pitt shouldn’t try. I want off of this merry go round.
Chryst is 15-10 over his last 25 B1G games playing in arguably the worse division of the P5. I'm not sure why you would think he would be an exception. Especially given his .500 record over his 3 years here.

Chryst is 15-10 over his last 25 B1G games playing in arguably the worse division of the P5. I'm not sure why you would think he would be an exception. Especially given his .500 record over his 3 years here.
Did you read what I said? I said it was possible it could go either way. Because we’ll never know. But had I been forced to bet I’d have bet heavy on more of the same.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
Did you read what I said? I said it was possible it could go either way. Because we’ll never know. But had I been forced to bet I’d have bet heavy on more of the same.
Using that logic...It's also possible Mike Haywood could have been an exception 😉.

The fickles of the world are going to go to an usc, Texas, etc program, so get those guys out of your head.

The pluses for pitt are a very winnable division, possible long term security if you can do decent and decent pay.

Negatives are tough to recruit, little fan support and in pro town, so nil likely won't be off the charts like a true college town.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
I would not call it attractive, but we should be able to draw in a good young coach who wants to further his career. Johnny Majors I and Ben Howland come to mind. A young, determined coach who has high aspirations should be what we are looking for.
Pitt will need to overpay to get a proven coach and that's the best investment that a program can make.

I'm sure Heather will take a look at all of the factors at the end of the season.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
Pitt will need to overpay to get a proven coach and that's the best investment that a program can make.

I'm sure Heather will take a look at all of the factors at the end of the season.

If we poop the bed against G Tech, all bets are off

I would not call it attractive, but we should be able to draw in a good young coach who wants to further his career. Johnny Majors I and Ben Howland come to mind. A young, determined coach who has high aspirations should be what we are looking for.
And I don’t mind getting someone like that as long as they bring a staff with someone capable of taking over as head coach when they leave. Majors to Sherrill comes to mind.

The Pitt job is attractive to some coaches but not all. We are in a Pro sports town and will never have the whole population rooting for the blue and gold.
if we go after a up and coming coach we have to deal in shorter tenures. If we go after a Pitt man we will have to roll the dice a little more. Anyway… I am starting to cone around with replacing coach Natduzzi. That is hard for me to say but the last game hit me rift between the eyes.
Let’s let the season play out and see what happens.
H2P

Oh boy we can have storytelling of “ Pitt going BiG” again

and sit in continuous perpetual purgatory

can’t wait

If we are all honest with ourselves, we’ve known for a long time that Narduzzi is not the right guy for the job. But we had ridiculous instability with the Head Coaching job and we needed to break that trend. Now that we’ve done that, we’ve shown that you can be mediocre for 7 years and have job security. Who wouldn’t want that?
Yeah I mean who wouldn't want to coach at a place with fair weather/beaten down fans who don't come to games....with a University that has regularly withdrawn institutional support for the past 100 years when the football program was temporarily successful......

I would have settled for Wannyocre for another decade....

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
The job is only attractive to a coach who believes he can get good players here. That coach has to be smart enough to hire top notch recruiters. Something we don't have now.

Reactions: 303vND
I wonder what it would take to hire Jamey Chadwell away from Coastal Carolina. Not sure if he’s holding out for an SEC job, but he’d certainly check off a lot of boxes…

The job is only attractive to a coach who believes he can get good players here. That coach has to be smart enough to hire top notch recruiters. Something we don't have now.
If Pitt is ever going to be a really good program again, the boosters, alums, and community are the people who have to make it happen through NIL. Pitt can't sit by and let tOSU, PSU, ND, Michigan and ACC rivals have more to offer and entice recruits with and expect to have a quality program. It doesn't work that way.

Reactions: DruidTM
I wonder what it would take to hire Jamey Chadwell away from Coastal Carolina. Not sure if he’s holding out for an SEC job, but he’d certainly check off a lot of boxes…
Tennessee is his dream job. He's from near there & he's a frequent guest on call in shows there. He named his son after Heath Shuler.

He's perceived to be fast and loose with the rules, runs a loose ship and has never been employed at a major program. I don't think it would take much to hire him. I don't think he makes 7 figures, but I could be wrong.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Sounds like what Greg Schiano is to Rutgers.
They were called Butgers by many in the B1G, they have 52k people showing up now

Tennessee is his dream job. He's from near there & he's a frequent guest on call in shows there. He named his son after Heath Shuler.

He's perceived to be fast and loose with the rules, runs a loose ship and has never been employed at a major program. I don't think it would take much to hire him. I don't think he makes 7 figures, but I could be wrong.
You do bring up a good point. I’m going to have to look up how many “big time” coaches were hired after previously not spending any time at a P5 school.

Edit: the only notable sitting head coaches I could find are:
- Iowa State’s Matt Campbell
- Louisville’s Scott Satterfield
- Notre Dame’s Brian Kelly
- Washington State’s Nick Rolovich

Last edited:
You do bring up a good point. I’m going to have to look up how many “big time” coaches were hired after previously not spending any time at a P5 school.

Edit: the only notable sitting head coaches I could find are:
- Iowa State’s Matt Campbell
- Louisville’s Scott Satterfield
- Notre Dame’s Brian Kelly
- Washington State’s Nick Rolovich
CCU is the only FBS school he has been at and his resume and background with the NCAA is a little on the shaky side. He's had to vacate wins, faced suspension, had about 30+ players suspended for using text book money for personal purchases, and was stupid enough to get caught recruiting by way of social media.

I think it's going to take more time and resume building before a P5 type school wants to take on the risk.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
it's not a given that you lose good coaches. briles stayed at baylor, patterson at tcu, petersen stayed at BSU a long time. hell, we held on to jamie for years. i'm not saying it's likely or easy; but it can be done.

but a coach is so good that he's gone after 3 years, then that's a great selling point to new coaches. "do what that guy did and you're in the big time in 3 years."

Pitt is a good stepping stone job. Solid pay, power five conference, reasonable expectations after 40 years of mediocrity. And that's fine, but you need a successor plan for when you're lucky enough someone can step up from here.
Give me evidence of one person that used Pitt as a stepping stone since Jackie Sherrill.

I definitely think the job has a lot going for it:

• Salary is top 25 nationally
• School has shown it will invest in the program (Victory Heights, South Side)
• ACC is a winnable conference and has recruiting grounds stretching the entire east coast
• Expectations are reasonable; history of being able to land “bigger” jobs if you succeed here
• Urban setting/television market may be advantageous re: NIL deals
• Storied history (I think it means something but wouldn’t necessarily sway a coaching candidate)

If you bring in a guy who builds Pitt into a national contender or even a top 15-20 type of program you pay the guy enough that he stays . Guys like Johnny Majors going to his alma mater Tennessee or Ben Howland going to his dream job at UCLA can’t be helped , but otherwise you overpay the guy to stay . Your wallet can stop the stepping stone syndrome.

Schools like Alabama don’t pay Nick Saban or Calipari at Kentucky 9-10 million because they like them , they win and generate many more millions for the school . It’s a business and Alabama is getting its money worth while Pitt is overpaying greatly for the results under PN .

Pgh and WPa will warm up to and support a winner and a team with 7-6 record with wins over programs like New Hampire and Massachusetts and loses to a MAC team will never illicit favorable fan support .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT