ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt job is attractive

It’s not bad but I think there was some losing seasons in there too.
Without looking it up I think he closed with a few 7-6, 6-7 type seasons. I thought their hiring of Herm Edwards was comically bad, but it looks like I was mistaken. They went the Mack Brown route and made sure he had solid assistants to do the heavy lifting and let Herm concentrate on recruiting and PR work.

Without looking it up I think he closed with a few 7-6, 6-7 type seasons. I thought their hiring of Herm Edwards was comically bad, but it looks like I was mistaken. They went the Mack Brown route and made sure he had solid assistants to do the heavy lifting and let Herm concentrate on recruiting and PR work.
I think so too. I was in Arizona during some very good ASU teams. Herm has done a surprisingly good job. Was certainly an outside the box hire but ASU was certainly set on him.

My feelings exactly but outside of you and I, he fooled a lot of people it seemed at the time.
Graham's opening press conference included a lot of nonsense about how they'd run "the same defense as the Steelers", how it isn't a "spread offense", about how it was his "dream job". Idk if anyone *really* believed him, I think some people were just so mad at Wanny that they were willing to cover for Graham's nonsense since they wanted a change.

Kirshner from Split Zone Duo: "I'm not a huge believer, I think they're gonna go 8-4 or something like that, and I think that might convince them to keep Narduzzi, and I'm not sure that's in their best interest. I just feel pretty down on them."

Godfrey: "I've gotta figure out how to coin this fake stat that I've come up with, about "value above replacement" for coaches. Like, coaches that I know right now that would take the Pitt job and coach there next fall, like, their value versus Pat f*cking Narduzzi coming back *again* to do another 7-5 or 8-4 season. If Pitt does this, it'll be deeply, deeply disappointing."

To be fair they did get two 10 win seasons out of him in his 6 years there.

Very weird situation, his record wasn't that bad at ASU to warrant firing. Heck, Heather would have already signed Narduzzi to a lifetime contract if he turned that in here.

Todd was only at Pitt for a year - it was the right strategy to go after a guy like him - just the wrong guy to go after. He had no connections to recruits anywhere in the area and he didn’t bring in the same level of coordinators he previously had done - which helped him win more games.

well, you could make the argument that Mike Norvell was a coordinator here and is now a head coach, and the other co-coordinator, Calvin McGee, was RichRods guy at WVU and Michigan. So that is two pretty high level coordinators, plus the defense under Graham wasn't that bad (Patterson was the DC?)

Graham's opening press conference included a lot of nonsense about how they'd run "the same defense as the Steelers", how it isn't a "spread offense", about how it was his "dream job". Idk if anyone *really* believed him, I think some people were just so mad at Wanny that they were willing to cover for Graham's nonsense since they wanted a change.
Lol. I remember this. Asked about the recruiting class falling apart, he said the recruiting class would be the best in Pitt's history. Comical.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg

lol, I remember Haywood telling some offensive recruits that he would run the same offense as the Patriot's.

I think some people were just so mad at Wanny that they were willing to cover for Graham's nonsense since they wanted a change.
Sorta like Paul Zeise's reaction to Stallings, telling everyone how the fans and players were going to love the freedom of the offense,players would want to go to Pitt to be part of it, blah, blah ,blah, like Graham's hiring, I never bought it for a minute....now, HCPN, ummm.... ok, guilty.......

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
well, you could make the argument that Mike Norvell was a coordinator here and is now a head coach, and the other co-coordinator, Calvin McGee, was RichRods guy at WVU and Michigan. So that is two pretty high level coordinators, plus the defense under Graham wasn't that bad (Patterson was the DC?)
Novell wasn't really ready for the job I don't think, so he got the weird co-coordinator title. I'm not so impressed with his offenses.

Graham had some really good assistants over the years like Gus Malzahn and Herb Hand (and yeah McGee was respected) but I didn't think he had a strong team at Pitt.

One thing I think in Narduzzi's favor is mostly good offensive coordinator hires here.

ADVERTISEMENT