ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt just doesn’t have a lot of talent.

APanther

Scholarship
Oct 6, 2020
Nor have we since ‘82, even though we’ve had every type of coach/AD/staff under the sun.
Maybe the way we go is to recruit from the transfer portal and fill out the rest of the roster with a handful of traditional recruits.
What we’re doing is not working.

We were lied to, we were lead to believe this team could be special, this team is horrible, defense, run D not to bad, the pass D stinks they are to slow, and consistantly get beat deep. ford should have left after last year or opted out, he didn't do himself any favors by playing this year as far as the NFL goes, Hamlin is just too slow, he can't stay up with a speedy receiver, and secondary does not play the ball, they have to fire Whipple and Borbely because Pickett will be gone and these young Qbs can start their college career with a fresh offensive system, This o line flat out stinks, and what else can you say about this crap, and that's the best I can call this team, maybe the whole coaching staff should go

I have really liked what Narduzzi was building at Pitt. Have been a big backer of the Duzz. Losing Twyman and Mathis was definitely a big talent and experience hit. Plus losing camp and bright for much of the season has really hurt. BUT...there was still enough talent and experience on the team to do some good things. Certainly should have beaten NC st and BC. No excuses. No matter how you slice it, Narduzzi has to take the heat for this season. Huge disappointment. Also, if there is no talent on the OL, that’s also on Narduzzi. Just bitterly disappointing

Reactions: TD_6082
Nor have we since ‘82, even though we’ve had every type of coach/AD/staff under the sun.
Maybe the way we go is to recruit from the transfer portal and fill out the rest of the roster with a handful of traditional recruits.
What we’re doing is not working.
TOTALLY DISAGREE! I watched a replay of the 2013 ND v. Pitt game and Pitt had NFL talent on both sides of the ball...and not just onesie or twoesie NFL talent.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Pitt has always had talent, they have never had depth. They have more depth than they’ve had in years right now, but still lacking at some positions. Unfortunately this is the most poorly coached Pitt team I’ve ever seen in my life.

It’s seriously laughable to think talent was an issue in losses to NC State and BC. In the case that there was a position one of those teams had a better player than we did at said position, that’s just pathetic on Narduzzi’s part.

And even if we had way more talent than everyone else, I highly doubt it would even matter then. Narduzzi had a secondary in ‘16 full of NFL talent everywhere, but yes he had a d-line build to stuff the run that did not rush the passer well. That did not result in just an underachieving secondary though, it led to legitimately one of the handful of worst pass defenses in all of FBS.

Narduzzi has always gotten less out of the talent he has on his rosters than arguably anyone else would. The disappointments always hide behind a big win and more talent coming in. Nowhere to hide now though, he’s been exposed. The guy just simply can not coach.

Pitt has always had talent, they have never had depth. They have more depth than they’ve had in years right now, but still lacking at some positions. Unfortunately this is the most poorly coached Pitt team I’ve ever seen in my life.

It’s seriously laughable to think talent was an issue in losses to NC State and BC. In the case that there was a position one of those teams had a better player than we did at said position, that’s just pathetic on Narduzzi’s part.

And even if we had way more talent than everyone else, I highly doubt it would even matter then. Narduzzi had a secondary in ‘16 full of NFL talent everywhere, but yes he had a d-line build to stuff the run that did not rush the passer well. That did not result in just an underachieving secondary though, it led to legitimately one of the handful of worst pass defenses in all of FBS.

Narduzzi has always gotten less out of the talent he has on his rosters than arguably anyone else would. The disappointments always hide behind a big win and more talent coming in. Nowhere to hide now though, he’s been exposed. The guy just simply can not coach.
K. Same said about each coach since ‘82. Why will it be different next time when the base of your team are three stars?

We were lied to, we were lead to believe this team could be special, this team is horrible, defense, run D not to bad, the pass D stinks they are to slow, and consistantly get beat deep. ford should have left after last year or opted out, he didn't do himself any favors by playing this year as far as the NFL goes, Hamlin is just too slow, he can't stay up with a speedy receiver, and secondary does not play the ball, they have to fire Whipple and Borbely because Pickett will be gone and these young Qbs can start their college career with a fresh offensive system, This o line flat out stinks, and what else can you say about this crap, and that's the best I can call this team, maybe the whole coaching staff should go
K. That’s what Pitt has done since 1982. But the next hire is different? Explain.

TOTALLY DISAGREE! I watched a replay of the 2013 ND v. Pitt game and Pitt had NFL talent on both sides of the ball...and not just onesie or twoesie NFL talent.
So how do you explain mediocrity since ‘82 when we’ve had every type of coach/staff/AD imaginable?

I disagree. We have a ton of talent especially on the defense of side of the ball, they just are not utilized correctly
I posted this somewhere else the other day, but it suggests to me that we haven't had all that much elite talent in recent years: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Q79xotFR0DN08o8H3&ampcf=1&cshid=1603598011647. Interestingly, the 3 programs we beat, our program has more NFL players. We have equal or less number of NFL players as the 4 programs we lost to.

Reactions: APanther
I posted this somewhere else the other day, but it suggests to me that we haven't had all that much elite talent in recent years: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2020-09-07/nfl-players-college-2020-rosters?amp&ved=2ahUKEwjL1oSF7M7sAhX7hHIEHTCWBWkQFjAAegQIKRAC&usg=AOvVaw2x9ruQ79xotFR0DN08o8H3&ampcf=1&cshid=1603598011647. Interestingly, the 3 programs we beat, our program has more NFL players. We have equal or less number of NFL players as the 4 programs we lost to.
That is not a radical conclusion by any means. But at the same time, Philip Rivers being in the NFL still in 2020 has absolutely zero correlation whatsoever to whether or not NC State has more or less talent than us.

Just like Fitz still being around means nothing when comparing the talent levels at Pitt and BC in recent years.

Generally you have talent if you’re sending guys to the NFL, so I kinda like the concept you’re going with here. The win/loss ratio comparative to guys in the NFL though just seems like a coincidence when just off the top of my head I know there’s at least 2 guys I just named who were in college over 15 years ago. At Pitt that was 4 actual previous head coaches ago.

That is not a radical conclusion by any means. But at the same time, Philip Rivers being in the NFL still in 2020 has absolutely zero correlation whatsoever to whether or not NC State has more or less talent than us.

Just like Fitz still being around means nothing when comparing the talent levels at Pitt and BC in recent years.

Generally you have talent if you’re sending guys to the NFL, so I kinda like the concept you’re going with here. The win/loss ratio comparative to guys in the NFL though just seems like a coincidence when just off the top of my head I know there’s at least 2 guys I just named who were in college over 15 years ago. At Pitt that was 4 actual previous head coaches ago.
I agree that outliers like Rivers and Fitz do have an affect on the numbers, but still, I think the average NFL career is 3 years or something like that, so on average, this list should generally reflect the talent (whether through recruiting, development, or a combo of both) of the players at programs over relatively recent years.

Schiano’s Rutgers has no business beating MSU. But they did. Rutgers never won after the wood chopper left. Now he’s back and they’re winning: coaching.

Schiano’s Rutgers has no business beating MSU. But they did. Rutgers never won after the wood chopper left. Now he’s back and they’re winning: coaching.
There are so many examples of a good coach turning a program around, but just look at Rutgers and Schiano. They were awful before he took over the first time. He turns the program around and they started getting positive national attention. He leaves and they are a laughingstock once again. He gets rehired and they beat MSU on the road and get positive publicity once again and recruiting is improving. A good head coach makes all the difference in college football.

ADVERTISEMENT