ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt/Miami game time

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
It wont be announced until Monday afternoon unless it gets 6 day'd but with the Miami win last night, it almost would have to be ACCN primetime or possibly a 3:30 ABC/ESPN2 mirror game.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
If its on ACCN I'm going to lose my mind. Half of the country doesn't get it including me. It's not good for the program right now unless until Comcast picks it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: UPitt '89
There are so many options out there. Pick one that has the ACC Network and be done with it.

I'm ok Ill make it work but they need to work sometthing out for the rest of the country who are seeing less and less ACC games nationwide

It definitely wont be on ESPNU. With ACCN now, the ACC is all but done with ESPNU.

I think it will get 6 day'd.
Well then comcast should axe the U on most of its sports packages and they should at least offer the ACCN on the highest price tier so that people would at least have the option to watch the game. Comcast is really screwing its customers. Glad I dont have them.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
Well then comcast should axe the U on most of its sports packages and they should at least offer the ACCN on the highest price tier so that people would at least have the option to watch the game. Comcast is really screwing its customers. Glad I dont have them.

Yea, really, that would be a good idea if Comcast has that option but they dont. And ESPN is going to prevent them from having that option in the future as they are going to charge 1 price to the cable companies for all their networks as a bundle.

As it stands, there are very few true Pitt fans who are missing Pitt games as ACCN is available in just about everyone's home.

Reactions: vietvet1

I don't have Comcast either. But my cable company doesn't carry the ACCN and is screwing their customers just as bad. I look at it as a form of censorship. I have no alternative as far as a CABLE provider because there is a no compete, exclusive agreement here, from what we are told. Sounds like a monopoly to me. Thought there were anti-trust laws to prevent limitation of competition?

There is no "apples to apples" product available to me here. I'd have to go with mix and match alternatives to get the exact same content I have now, plus the ACCN. I can choose my electric and natural gas providers. But not cable TV. Why is that? Makes one wonder if somebody might be getting their pocket lined?

Reactions: FreeportPanther
I feel your pain PittMan 72 and you may be right about someone pockets.
I tried Youtube TV last week, its good but no comedy central.
I'll stick with sling.

I feel your pain PittMan 72 and you may be right about someone pockets.
I tried Youtube TV last week, its good but no comedy central.
I'll stick with sling.

I have added Sling, as well (currently on a trial, reduced cost, basis). So I, personally, have ACCN access. But I just don't understand the no-compete, exclusivity aspect of the arrangement cable companies seem to be favored with. I have also been told that the arrangement between the cable company and political entity is "evergreen". How about that? SMH. :mad:

It sure seems like a royal screwjob. In many cases it requires a customer to add expense, equipment (maybe both?) to retain and have access to the exact content they prefer, plus the ACCN. The cable company also continues to raise rates and fees, at their sole discretion. They have to be smiling like a Cheshire Cat and laughing all the way to the bank. Increased revenues. No increase to content or services. What a deal!!!

Reactions: FieldHouse12
I have added Sling, as well (currently on a trial, reduced cost, basis). So I, personally, have ACCN access. But I just don't understand the no-compete, exclusivity aspect of the arrangement cable companies seem to be favored with. I have also been told that the arrangement between the cable company and political entity is "evergreen". How about that? SMH. :mad:

It sure seems like a royal screwjob. In many cases it requires a customer to add expense, equipment (maybe both?) to retain and have access to the exact content they prefer, plus the ACCN. The cable company also continues to raise rates and fees, at their sole discretion. They have to be smiling like a Cheshire Cat and laughing all the way to the bank. Increased revenues. No increase to content or services. What a deal!!!
How long is the sling trial?

It definitely wont be on ESPNU. With ACCN now, the ACC is all but done with ESPNU.

I think it will get 6 day'd.
If it gets 6 dayed then attendance will certainly suffer. Pittsburgh has more attractions on a Saturday than State College and other “if it wasn’t for the state U there wouldn’t be a population “ towns.

It wont be announced until Monday afternoon unless it gets 6 day'd but with the Miami win last night, it almost would have to be ACCN primetime or possibly a 3:30 ABC/ESPN2 mirror game.
SMF Mrs Buffett and I need a 3:30 start.
Make this happen.
Leaving home at 3:30 am 4.5 hrs later we drive down Northshore dr and have two important tailgates to attend.
Make this happen.
An noon start or 1 kills the day.

I don't have Comcast either. But my cable company doesn't carry the ACCN and is screwing their customers just as bad. I look at it as a form of censorship. I have no alternative as far as a CABLE provider because there is a no compete, exclusive agreement here, from what we are told. Sounds like a monopoly to me. Thought there were anti-trust laws to prevent limitation of competition?

There is no "apples to apples" product available to me here. I'd have to go with mix and match alternatives to get the exact same content I have now, plus the ACCN. I can choose my electric and natural gas providers. But not cable TV. Why is that? Makes one wonder if somebody might be getting their pocket lined?

Why cant you get rid of your cable and get either:

DirecTV
Dish
YouTube TV
Hulu
Sling
Playstation Vue

Why cant you get rid of your cable and get either:

DirecTV
Dish
YouTube TV
Hulu
Sling
Playstation Vue

Swing and a miss. I'll do what I need to do when I decide to do it. But what does that have to do with the point of my post? Exclusivity. Non-compete. Evergreen. When everyone can choose their gas and electric provider, why not CABLE tv? Because that's what is "apples to apples" based on the current content and means of reception that I would prefer to retain. Instead of satellite or streaming.

Swing and a miss. I'll do what I need to do when I decide to do it. But what does that have to do with the point of my post? Exclusivity. Non-compete. Evergreen. When everyone can choose their gas and electric provider, why not CABLE tv? Because that's what is "apples to apples" based on the current content and means of reception that I would prefer to retain. Instead of satellite or streaming.

Your cable company negotiated with your town to install all the cable lines for free back in the 80's in exchange for a monopoly. Complain to your local government.

If you are a big Pitt fan, I'm not sure why you love your cable company so much that you have to keep them instead of 10 other options

Your cable company negotiated with your town to install all the cable lines for free back in the 80's in exchange for a monopoly. Complain to your local government.

If you are a big Pitt fan, I'm not sure why you love your cable company so much that you have to keep them instead of 10 other options

Obviously, you failed to read my post. Again!!!! Or you're just comprehensionally challenged. Enough of you. Again!!!!

Obviously, you failed to read my post. Again!!!! Or you're just comprehensionally challenged. Enough of you. Again!!!!
PittMan, i’m confused also. I understand that you only have one cable option. Hulu is a streaming option, not cable. Just drop your cable, or cut it to Internet only, and stream using Hulu, or YouTube TV

PittMan, i’m confused also. I understand that you only have one cable option. Hulu is a streaming option, not cable. Just drop your cable, or cut it to Internet only, and stream using Hulu, or YouTube TV

If you really need to watch Pitt games, the only reason to NOT dump your cable company is if you need ATTSN for the Penguins. Other than that, you will save money and get Pitt/ACCN by getting rid of cable. Its a no-brainer. I'm watching Louisville/Wake right now on ACCN. Not that that's a great game but I am not regretting leaving Comcast 1 bit.

Did you read the thread? I already have the ACCN via Sling. My question is around how the cable companies are getting away with a monopoly. Non compete. Evergreen contract. When we can all choose things like gas and electric. Do you understand?

Did you read the thread? I already have the ACCN via Sling. My question is around how the cable companies are getting away with a monopoly. Non compete. Evergreen contract. When we can all choose things like gas and electric. Do you understand?
Imagine what it would be like if DirecTV and Dish weren't available?

I explained why that is.

Imagine what it would be like if DirecTV and Dish weren't available?

I have no idea. But can you imagine what it would be like to have to clear a forest to have clear access to the southern sky to receive a satellite signal? Not everyone is in the same situation.

I have no idea. But can you imagine what it would be like to have to clear a forest to have clear access to the southern sky to receive a satellite signal? Not everyone is in the same situation.
It's even worse with HD - you have to be able to get two satellite signals to receive an HD broadcast.

Reactions: PittMan 72
This Armstrong customer is officially cutting the cord Monday. Going with the Roku / Hulu Live set up. Roku Streaming Stick + in the Master Bedroom and Kitchen, Smart TV in Family Room, and Smart Blue Ray in Basement Game Room (can still run surround sound through the amp and use universal remote with the basement setup)

Good by and good riddance cable.

I will say hulu takes a bit of getting used to… not the easiest to navigate, but you get used to it with time.

Reactions: ThePanthers
If you really need to watch Pitt games, the only reason to NOT dump your cable company is if you need ATTSN for the Penguins. Other than that, you will save money and get Pitt/ACCN by getting rid of cable. Its a no-brainer. I'm watching Louisville/Wake right now on ACCN. Not that that's a great game but I am not regretting leaving Comcast 1 bit.
Being honest this is the only reason i have fios is to watch the penguins. It kills me there is no work around unless you, jump thru hoops and order nhl game pass with a a phantom vpn

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT