ADVERTISEMENT

PITT Offense - 2023/2024 NFL Draft

May 6, 2017
Going into the season - who did have being drafted off of this offense?

Me - Possible Bartholomew.

Now that the season is almost at the midpoint - Maybe Izzy.

Did people really have high expectations based on the talent on offense?

I mean as soon as I heard Bub Means was coming here after he was told he wasn't going to get time at Tennessee, I knew the receiver room was probably pretty weak.

…well, not to say I did because I don’t follow those things closely enough, but I think many would have had Slovis at least somewhere in the later rounds. Not sure where things end up going for him now though as he definitely doesn’t look like someone that will get drafted so far.

I mean as soon as I heard Bub Means was coming here after he was told he wasn't going to get time at Tennessee, I knew the receiver room was probably pretty weak.
Izzy will get drafted and you can add Carter Warren. But, that's about it.

Going into the season - Warren, Wayne, Barth, Izzy, and Slovis to get drafted.
Then you had a veteran OL with depth, RB depth, and Mumpfield was supposed to be really good.

Most people thought Means was going to be like the 4th or 5th receiver, at best; nobody was hitching their wagon to the fate of the season depending on him.

People thought Izzy and Hammond would be really good, and they were right.

People thought Bartholomew is really good, and they're right.

People thought the line would be really good, and they're obviously not.

People hoped Slovis would be good, but he hasn't been.

Wayne is Wayne - solid.

Barden has not progressed like most had hoped. Seems like he's got one foot out the door, basically.

And then Mumpfield doesn't appear to be quite as good as advertised.

That's pretty much it. Nobody thought we would be what we were last season, but I think most thought we could have a more balanced attack that would be sufficient with guys like Kancey and Baldonado on defense.

Reactions: President Stache
Most people thought Means was going to be like the 4th or 5th receiver, at best; nobody was hitching their wagon to the fate of the season depending on him.

Wayne is Wayne - solid.

Barden has not progressed like most had hoped. Seems like he's got one foot out the door, basically.

That's pretty much it. Nobody thought we would be what we were last season, but I think most thought we could have a more balanced attack that would be sufficient with guys like Kancey and Baldonado on defense.
Agreed - most people thought we would be good on offense and have a really good defense. A balanced offensive attack and a fairly dominant defense that would lead to 9 or more wins.

Before the season:

Slovis: 3rd-5th round

Mumpfield: 2nd-3rd round

Izzy: 3rd-5th round (he had been better than that)

Wayne: late rounds

Bartholomew: mid rounds

OL: would have thought a few guys sniff the NFL

Basically, I thought we were plenty good enough.

What's happened:

Slovis looks MAC-level

Mumpfield is MAC-level. Shocky is going to put up more yards at Akron that Mumpfield last season.

Cignetti doesn't know how to use Bartholomew

Pickett's mobility masked how bad the OL is

Wayne is Wayne - solid.

Pretty much nail on the head. Im not going to say Slovis has been good, but I would almost give him an incomplete grade (no pun intended) just due to the fact he has been hurt and not given a chance with our line to look good at all (although I also will say half of that falls onto his own shoulders)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT