ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt people far from home...

pittiswhereiamfrom2

All Conference
Sep 8, 2016
Got vaccine today near Orlando. Pitt grad in line behind me, Duquesne grad gave the vaccine. Funny how that happens.

How often do you wear Pitt stuff far from Pittsburgh and get noticed?

Got vaccine today near Orlando. Pitt grad in line behind me, Duquesne grad gave the vaccine. Funny how that happens.

I live about 45 min south of Nashville.
My Dr went to Gannon, my dentist went to Pitt, I met a guy golfing one day that’s from Coudersport and I had an Uber driver one night from Erie

Walked into FrankieBones restaurant in BLUFFTON SC. Guy had a steeler hat on, and I was wearing a Steelers golf vest. Instant kindred spirits. We both moved to SC in 2019. Me from Greensburg, and they from Mt Washington.....this was yesterday for a late lunch...small world is right.....

You can’t make this stuff up.....my first trip to Paris in 2008. I am at the musee d orsay standing in front of the famous painting “whistlers mother”. I realize the guy next to me has a Steelers hat on. I asked him where was he from He said Pine TWP. PA. I laughed and said I am from Wexford.

A long time ago I walked into a Cajun restaurant in Houston. The hostess asked where we were from. When we told her Pgh she lit up. From here, she asked if I heard of the Pleasure Bar? She was shocked when I told her I had been there the night before after a Pitt hoops game. Turns out her Dad owned the place. 2 days later I'm in the Bel Air Hotel, waiter from the South Hills.

I don't see much Pitt gear here in NZ. I see some WVU and PSU stuff on occasion. Most Steelers stuff is worn by Kiwis. NFL is pretty popular here. My son has friends who have Steelers jerseys, Conner and Watt.
I do wear my yellow script Pitt goalie jersey for beer league drop in games. Get plenty of comments on how nice it looks. My son has his Pitt hockey jersey hanging on his wall with his NZ and Thunder jerseys.

Yinz guys all talking about being out and about and being recognized because you have Pitt or PGH gear on.

I have that beat I think. I grew up in PGH area but haven’t lived there since 1979. But it still happens to me continuously... I could be down South, in California, Midwest, wherever. I’ll start talking to someone and they’ll ask me if I’m from Pittsburgh. It amazes me, never thought I had this strong PGH accent.

Yinz guys all talking about being out and about and being recognized because you have Pitt or PGH gear on.

I have that beat I think. I grew up in PGH area but haven’t lived there since 1979. But it still happens to me continuously... I could be down South, in California, Midwest, wherever. I’ll start talking to someone and they’ll ask me if I’m from Pittsburgh. It amazes me, never thought I had this strong PGH accent.
It is very noticeable. I have detected a few Yinzers from hearing them talk.

Reactions: Saboteur II

It doesn’t have to be, “Dave Wannstedt“ strong to be recognizable. I met a guy in his late 60s who hadn’t lived in WPa for more than 40 years - I knew right away where he was from, and he didn’t have a strong accent.

In addition to the accent itself, the tone of voice when one asks a question is another dead giveaway. Outside of Scotland, very few regions raise their voice higher in tone at the end of a question. Almost everyone in WPa does.

It doesn’t have to be, “Dave Wannstedt“ strong to be recognizable. I met a guy in his late 60s who hadn’t lived in WPa for more than 40 years - I knew right away where he was from, and he didn’t have a strong accent.

In addition to the accent itself, the tone of voice when one asks a question is another dead giveaway. Outside of Scotland, very few regions raise their voice higher in tone at the end of a question. Almost everyone in WPa does.
Say WHAT?

That’s funny, we’ve had that exact same thing happen here in Kansas City, both someone detecting it in myself and the other way around. Always brings a smile to my face.

Walked into FrankieBones restaurant in BLUFFTON SC. Guy had a steeler hat on, and I was wearing a Steelers golf vest. Instant kindred spirits. We both moved to SC in 2019. Me from Greensburg, and they from Mt Washington.....this was yesterday for a late lunch...small world is right.....

I’m stationed up the road in Beaufort. Proudly have a Pitt flag hanging out front. There is a retiree across from me from Mt. Lebo and another down the street whose kids went to Pitt and Duquesne. Apparently there is a Pittsburgh-themed restaurant in Hilton Head and Bluffton called Giuseppi’s.

I’m stationed up the road in Beaufort. Proudly have a Pitt flag hanging out front. There is a retiree across from me from Mt. Lebo and another down the street whose kids went to Pitt and Duquesne. Apparently there is a Pittsburgh-themed restaurant in Hilton Head and Bluffton called Giuseppi’s.
Yep. I live a mile from Giuseppi’s. Shelter Cove.

Reactions: USN_Panther
I’m just north of San Diego, but not often. Once or twice I got a “Go Panthers!” while walking around. You see Steelers stuff pretty often but none of the people wearing it are from Pittsburgh. Most of the time they’ve never even been there. After a while I learned to give up with that conversation point, lol

I spent a summer doing TAD at Beaufort. Lived in the BOQ on Parris Island. Worked at the Beaufort Naval Hospital and at Gump Memorial.
Nice summer spent golfing pretty much everynight with another guy there on TAD. We went out for seafood after golf. Wasn't a bad spot for TAD.

Last edited:
I’m just north of San Diego, but not often. Once or twice I got a “Go Panthers!” while walking around. You see Steelers stuff pretty often but none of the people wearing it are from Pittsburgh. Most of the time they’ve never even been there. After a while I learned to give up with that conversation point, lol
It’s about 50/50 here for someone wearing Steeler stuff to be from Pittsburgh. About 10% for someone wearing Pirates stuff. It seems Pirates gear is more of a fashion statement, and not an indication of fandom.

I live about 45 min south of Nashville.
My Dr went to Gannon, my dentist went to Pitt, I met a guy golfing one day that’s from Coudersport and I had an Uber driver one night from Erie
From Coudersport? Prob went to penn st main and is mowing grass at their country club. Sorry I’m so sour.

I spent a summer doing TAD at Beaufort. Lived in the BOQ on Paris Island. Worked at the Beaufort Naval Hospital and at Gump Memorial.
Nice summer spent golfing pretty much everynight with another guy there on TAD. We went out for seafood after golf. Wasn't a bad spot for TAD.

I currently work at the Parris Island Medical Clinic. The PI course is nice compared to the local public ones I’ve been. Have a “journal club” there at least twice a month.

I am on the opposite end of opinion here. If I have gone on vacation somewhere distant from home, the last thing I want to do is run in to someone from the same town. For chrissakes I went there to get away from where I live. LOL

I spent a summer doing TAD at Beaufort. Lived in the BOQ on Paris Island. Worked at the Beaufort Naval Hospital and at Gump Memorial.
TAD? Tour active duty? Curious.

I am on the opposite end of opinion here. If I have gone on vacation somewhere distant from home, the last thing I want to do is run in to someone from the same town. For chrissakes I went there to get away from where I live. LOL
You are younger than me, you curmudgeon...LOL

Reactions: Duneaux Harm
I currently work at the Parris Island Medical Clinic. The PI course is nice compared to the local public ones I’ve been. Have a “journal club” there at least twice a month.
Are you USN MC, or a contractor? While there, we played the PI course pretty much exclusively as we were both in the BOQ, and usually one of us on call. We would take a cart and and end the round if the other got called in.
Is Beaufort Navy Hospital still open? The CO there when I was there was doing all he could to transfer as much to Beaufort Memorial as possible. We all referred to Beaufort Memorial as Gump Memorial because that's what it was in the movie LOL.
Have you provided medical support to Hell Night?

Come over to William Hilton’s Island and say hello!!

I live three miles from "The Swamp" and wear Pitt gear all the time. My Zoom background is the Cathedral of Learning. It gets noticed a lot, especially among the scientists and physicians. H2P!!!

Reactions: HOF Coach
I live three miles from "The Swamp" and wear Pitt gear all the time. My Zoom background is the Cathedral of Learning. It gets noticed a lot, especially among the scientists and physicians. H2P!!!
I see nitter graffiti on cars everywhere in the Orlando area. They infest everything.

There is something about Pitt people that I am more interested in recognizing and being recognized. Steelers and Pens and such doesn’t do anything for me. But there is a real connection with Pitt for me. Maybe it’s the years spent living in a slum.

.... but it’s my slum.

I see nitter graffiti on cars everywhere in the Orlando area. They infest everything.

There is something about Pitt people that I am more interested in recognizing and being recognized. Steelers and Pens and such doesn’t do anything for me. But there is a real connection with Pitt for me. Maybe it’s the years spent living in a slum.

.... but it’s my slum.
Nitters in Orlando makes sense. Preying on children no doubt.

Are you USN MC, or a contractor? While there, we played the PI course pretty much exclusively as we were both in the BOQ, and usually one of us on call. We would take a cart and and end the round if the other got called in.
Is Beaufort Navy Hospital still open? The CO there when I was there was doing all he could to transfer as much to Beaufort Memorial as possible. We all referred to Beaufort Memorial as Gump Memorial because that's what it was in the movie LOL.
Have you provided medical support to Hell Night?

MC. The “hospital” is still open but essentially is a glorified clinic. Anything of significance goes to Beaufort Memorial.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT