ADVERTISEMENT

PITT playing in the Bronx is ridiculous

I worked in NYC for years...I still go up for quarterly board meetings. People from NYC (mostly transplants) think they invented food.
The food isn't that great in NY - especially in Manhattan. Brooklyn has a few spots but overall - not really all that it's made up to be.

The food isn't that great in NY - especially in Manhattan. Brooklyn has a few spots but overall - not really all that it's made up to be.
Go get a gyro or Greek Food up in Astoria. And their diner food is pretty good. I guess it depends on what kind of food you're looking for.

Actually Paco.....it is not the case. A team cannot a neutral site game without the approval of the visiting team. I am disappointed PITT chose to play in this game as our traveling and lodging expenses likely tripled. There is zero financial benefit to PITT playing a game in NYC......We are actually losing money on this.
I just looked on hotels.com. There are hotels that weekend in Manhattan for under $300 a night. Or you can stay outside Manhattan and take transportation in for even cheaper.

Yes, I'm sure Pitt had to agree, as would the ACC and potentially any media partners (who I'm sure love it). But it is Syracuse that is giving up a true home game. And, if Syracuse controls ticketing, then it could actually be counted as a Syracuse home game. True neutral or not, Pitt would be absolutely moronic not to jump on having a neutral site game over a true away game in the media center of the universe where it has spent money on marketing campaigns for the university that past few years. The ACC tournament wasn't played in NYC last year because it was considering St. Johns as a member.

The inconvenience you feel for yourself is noted. My guess is the number of Pitt fans, students, boosters, and alumni that prefer this one-off trip to NYC over the biannual trek to Syracuse is about 10:1. I can only speak for myself though, having been to the Pinstripe Bowl vs going back up to Syracuse, I'm much more likely to go to the Pitt/Syracuse this year than I was a couple days ago. I have a scheduling conflict with a conference, but I'm going to see if I can work with that.

And we have no idea if Pitt will get extra money or playing this game at Yankee Stadium. Someone is making more money, or it wouldn't have been moved there. All that matters is Pitt negated a home field advantage while elevating the profile of the game: win-win.

I know a guy from Republic of Georgia, former Soviet Republic, just moved to the USA, he has a sister that is helping him. I love what this guy did, he would never get permission to come here from his country, so he flew to Mexico City and paid someone to help him walk across the border and now he's here, LOL love it, I wonder if all the border advocates screaming to let everyone in are happy a white guy from Europe came that way? :)
Depends. What party would he vote for?

Reactions: Dan1911
Go get a gyro or Greek Food up in Astoria. And their diner food is pretty good. I guess it depends on what kind of food you're looking for.
Hmm...I may have to do that - I love gyros - and most of the boroughs have good food. I kind of limited the overrated food to mid-town. Harlem, downtown near Wall and the Meatpacking District have pretty good food.

It’s better than going to Syracuse
I would rather go to Syracuse. Was to the bowl game at Yankee stadium. Housing, food and drinks all very expensive. Game atmosphere very bad. Our bus had to move to a different location. Took us a half hour walk to find it, at night!! Stadium is not in the best neighborhood. I’ll pass on this game.

It's pretty good. And often cheaper. With a ton of options.

I would rather go to Syracuse. Was to the bowl game at Yankee stadium. Housing, food and drinks all very expensive. Game atmosphere very bad. Our bus had to move to a different location. Took us a half hour walk to find it, at night!! Stadium is not in the best neighborhood. I’ll pass on this game.

I never realized so many Pitt fans long for the Carrier Dome. You guys are going to have like 10-30 more chances to see Pitt play Syracuse in the Dome. Pitt will play a football game maybe 2-3 more times in your lifetime. Bite the bullet and go or enjoy it on TV.

Took the family to the Cortica Jug game at Yankee stadium this year. Did all the usual sight seeing(statue of liberty, freedom tower/911 memorial , etc and it was great . Even took the subway to various places including the stadium. Lots of interesting “sights” for sure but never felt in danger. Yes the sightlines for a football game aren’t the best but yankee stadium itself is pretty nice. And it is very easy to get to from wherever you stay in NYC.

Of course it's safe and fun. Only those who don't go to actual cities would have a problem with it.

Best pizza; IMO, is NYC...if you like NY style pizza, which is my favorite. I like foldable, floppy, greasy pizza.

I spent one trip in NYC just going to as many dollar slice joints as I could. Quality varies quite a bit as you could imagine, but then again, on average, NYC pizza is the best for me. And my philosophy is, if you can't make a good plain cheese pizza...get those ingredients right: sauce, cheese, and dough...then there is no topping or extras that can hide your inability to make a good pizza. San Francisco, for instance, couldn't find a good pizza to save your life; only about dumping toppings on a bad pizza there.

The notoriety is partly due to the NYC water they make the dough out of.

Just like the best cheesesteaks are in Philly. Gotta have the Amoroso rolls.
Lombardi's in Little Italy, Manhattan.
Coal fired oven.
Comes out with a little char.
Supposedly the first pizza shop in the USA??
Anyway, really good!!

Reactions: Pittguy93
Of course it's safe and fun. Only those who don't go to actual cities would have a problem with it.
NYC is a blast.
Take in a show, go to a museum, Rockefeller Center, St. Patricks, Ellis Island, Statue of LIberty, Empire State Building, MSG. Great town to just walk around and people watch.
Truly the city that never sleeps.
Part of the fun is doing it without breaking the bank. Lots of bargains if you know how to find them.

NYC is a blast.
Take in a show, go to a museum, Rockefeller Center, St. Patricks, Ellis Island, Statue of LIberty, Empire State Building, MSG. Great town to just walk around and people watch.
Truly the city that never sleeps.
Part of the fun is doing it without breaking the bank. Lots of bargains if you know how to find them.

I mean, you can get good meals from any type of cuisine for very little money. I can't say the same thing about most cities.

Reactions: FreeportPanther

On the subway ride back to Manhattan after the NW game, there was a guy selling socks. Walking up and down the aisles, giving an awesome sales pitch. It was simply great. Reminded me of Bubbles.

Personally I’d love to go to this game. I love NYC and Yankee Stadium is a bucket list item (never been to the Bronx). Lol at associating going to this game with being randomly murdered because you’re in New York.

I can't think of a game I would least like to go to. Cuse fans will not be there....rooms will be $450/night....sight lines are horrible....pain the neck to get there.....EVERYTHING is overpriced. I'd rather play in Miami.
Don't go

I hope you don't get murdered or addicted to crack.
I lived in the South Bronx when I went to graduate school at Columbia. Andrews Avenue and 179th Street, not far from Yankee Stadium. I think I was the only white person in the neighborhood under 65.

I sublet the apartment from an elderly woman who had fallen and broken her hip and couldn’t deal with the steps to her 5th floor walk up apartment while she was recuperating. She was going to stay with her daughter in Miami while she recovered, but told me that she would be back on June 1, when my sublease was up. Sure enough, she knocked on the door at 8:30 am on June 1 to ask when I was leaving. I was in my car heading back to Pittsburgh an hour later.

(Her name was Flora Lifshitz. Her late husband was a cousin of Ralph Lauren, who was born on the Grand Concourse, a few blocks away. She told me that she had been married in that apartment, her two children had been born in that apartment, her husband had died in that apartment, and she was going to die in that apartment. In 1971, when I was in Vietnam I got a letter from her daughter telling me that she had in fact died in her sleep in that apartment.)

The former synagogue the Lifshitz family probably attended was by 1968 a Latin American record store. The Irish deli was run by a Dominican family. I took the subway, shopped in the stores, ate at the local White Castle (ok, that was a mistake) and went to the laundromat. I went to two games at Yankee Stadium, three subway stops away.

Never got robbed. Never got threatened. Never really got hassled. Never got offered drugs. The local teens called me “Serpico” after an undercover cop who had made headlines reporting widespread corruption in the police department in Brooklyn and the Bronx.

One time in the winter when I started my car a small electrical fire started under the hood. I panicked, but people waiting at the bus stop which was about 20 feet away quickly grabbed handfuls of snow and smothered it. It turned out the insulation on one of the wires connected to the battery was so worn it had caught fire. A mechanic, who lived in my building, charged me a very fair price to fix it.

I will never say anything bad about the Bronx. Going to a game at Yankee Stadium is something everyone should do at least once.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the original Carnegie Deli, made famous in “When Harry Met Sally” (“I’ll have what she’s having.”) is gone. Katz’s however is still there.
Katz is where the Harry Met Sally scene was filmed. Still there; table thet sat at is marked.

Last edited:
I will say I was there not long after it reopened after Covid and my thought was like "oh shit." Manhattan had looked like it had been left unattended. Lots of trash on the street, empty storefronts, grafitti, but way worse was the constant smell of weed. It was like I was in Amsterdam. I guess its legal now there but I totally hate that smell. I have been to NYC a bunch but that was the worst I'd ever seen it. That said, I never felt unsafe or anything.
Went to Jersey Shore, Cape May for the first and last time ever last year, everything is to spread out, from our hotel, you needed a car to get to every restaurant, which I don't like. And the boardwalk was very dirty and smelled too strongly of weed. I don't mind it sometimes, but it was pretty constant.

Went to Jersey Shore, Cape May for the first and last time ever last year, everything is to spread out, from our hotel, you needed a car to get to every restaurant, which I don't like. And the boardwalk was very dirty and smelled too strongly of weed. I don't mind it sometimes, but it was pretty constant.
You were probably smelling the CrabFries!

Katz is where the Harry Met Sally scene was filmed. Still there; table thet sat at is marked.
Brain fart. Carnegie Deli is where Woody Allen used to film all of his deli scenes. Much of “Broadway Danny Rose” was shot there, focusing on the booth where all of the comedians would go to talk about the latest tragedies befalling Danny.
-
When I was at the Columbia Journalism School they divided us into groups of 3 and we each had to do a 10 to 20 minute radio documentary on some aspect of life in New York. Three of us did one about how the food culture on the Lower East Side was changing with Jews moving out and Asians and Hispanics moving in. We interviewed one of the managers at Katz’s. He said bysiness hadn’t suffered at all. “Sure they eat their Latino dishes and Chinese dishes some of the time. But, when they get really hungry, they come here and have a Pastrami sandwich just like everyone else.”

He also told us that part of the reason their corned beef and pastrami is so good (and it is!) is that they cure it using NYC tap water. We were told the same thing about bagels in two places.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Brain fart. Carnegie Deli is where Woody Allen used to film all of his deli scenes. Much of “Broadway Danny Rose” was shot there, focusing on the booth where all of the comedians would go to talk about the latest tragedies befalling Danny.
-
When I was at the Columbia Journalism School they divided us into groups of 3 and we each had to do a 10 to 20 minute radio documentary on some aspect of life in New York. Three of us did one about how the food culture on the Lower East Side was changing with Jews moving out and Asians and Hispanics moving in. We interviewed one of the managers at Katz’s. He said bysiness hadn’t suffered at all. “Sure they eat their Latino dishes and Chinese dishes some of the time. But, when they get really hungry, they come here and have a Pastrami sandwich just like everyone else.”

He also told us that part of the reason their corned beef and pastrami is so good (and it is!) is that they cure it using NYC tap water. We were told the same thing about bagels in two places.
For others (you probably know this), the best tip for Katz is go to the slicers to order instead of table service. They'll slice you extra pieces of meat to eat as they are making your sandwich.

I've been to pizza places as far away as Florida that ship in water from NYC to make their pies.

And to cheesesteak places in California that ship in Amoroso rolls.

Reactions: mike412
For others (you probably know this), the best tip for Katz is go to the slicers to order instead of table service. They'll slice you extra pieces of meat to eat as they are making your sandwich.

I've been to pizza places as far away as Florida that ship in water from NYC to make their pies.

And to cheesesteak places in California that ship in Amoroso rolls.
My dad taught me to do that when we went to Weinstein’s or Canter’s or Polonsky’s when I was a kid. He knew everyone who worked behind the counter by name and his sandwiches were enormous. My local bagel place in Santa Monica uses water from NYC in making their bagels. They used to sell Wise Potato Chips but stopped because no one liked them.

I didn't see that. If there is such a thing, I would have tried it.
Chickey and Pete's in Vegas (via Philly) is known for crab fries. There's a great restaurant in Monessen that makes them, too.

I think the chances of something bad happening to a Pitt fan visiting a 2023 away game are much greater in the "backyard" only a few miles down the road in Morgantown, West Virginia than they are in the NYC metropolis.
Hell yeah they are

Have any of you actually been to NYC since the 70s? lol 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT