ADVERTISEMENT

PITT playing in the Bronx is ridiculous

Have you ever been to Manhattan? Its rich people and tourists.
Uh, no it’s not. The Lower East Side, Little Italy and Chinatown are areas lived in mainly by low income people. They have had some gentrification but not a lot. Stuyvesant Town, a large series of high rises in that same area roughly has had rent controlled apartments for moderate income residents since the 1940s. Has its own high school, although parents can choose to send their children elsewhere. Many workers share apartments in Midtown in order to be able to live in Manhattan and be closer to work.

North of Central Park is Harlem. There has been a lot of gentrification in parts of Harlem but there still are lots of poor, working class and middle class people living there. There are high rises on Riverside Drive from 125th Street úntil it ends around the Cloisters and the majority are rent controlled. Almost entirely occupied by middle class residents. On the East River side, most of the high rises are public housing.

North of Harlem starting around 157th Street is Washington Heights which is not much different today than it was portrayed in the Lin Manuel Miranda movie. That runs over 40 blocks north where we get to the last neighborhood in Manhattan, Inwood. It was almost exclusively Irish when I lived in New York and had the second highest number of firemen and cops living there in the city. Staten Island was first. I’m sure it’s changed now but I’m equally sure no rich people live there.

I would say your assessment of only rich people living in Manhattan is off by 90%.

Do you realize how small of a chance there is that you will be murdered in NYC during the 48 or so hours you are there? As in any big city, the vast majority of murders are targeted. How many tourists are murdered in NYC per year? 1? 2? 0?
SMF...How small the chance is of a person being violently attacked or murdered in NYC is doesn't matter. Logically, the chance of it happening in NYC is far greater then in Morgantown, WV.
Just about everyday on the news you see stories of people in NYC attacking others who are just regular people walking down the streets, in the subways, eating in a restaurant, etc... . Add to that the attacks on the NYC Police Officers that also seem to happen daily. A visit to Morgantown IS safer then a NYC visit.

Reactions: Shomeydamonee
Are there even enough individuals to count on one hand who would have been intrepid and rabid enough Panthers fans to have made the trip to Syracuse in November, yet too timid to make the same trip to NYC instead?

Reactions: NKSplitter
SMF...How small the chance is of a person being violently attacked or murdered in NYC is doesn't matter. Logically, the chance of it happening in NYC is far greater then in Morgantown, WV.
Just about everyday on the news you see stories of people in NYC attacking others who are just regular people walking down the streets, in the subways, eating in a restaurant, etc... . Add to that the attacks on the NYC Police Officers that also seem to happen daily. A visit to Morgantown IS safer then a NYC visit.

I would argue that a person wearing a Pitt shirt in Morgantown is in far more danger in Morgantown than in NYC. Remember those LSU fans who were nearly killed?

And even if the chances of getting killed in NY for the 48 hours you are there are higher than Morgantown, the chances are very close to 0.

Chances of being randomly murdered in NYC from Nov 11-13, 2023: 0.00000001%

Chances of being randomly murdered in Morgantown during a random 48 hour stretch: 0.0000000001%

The difference is insignificant

Reactions: Pitt79
I would argue that a person wearing a Pitt shirt in Morgantown is in far more danger in Morgantown than in NYC. Remember those LSU fans who were nearly killed?

And even if the chances of getting killed in NY for the 48 hours you are there are higher than Morgantown, the chances are very close to 0.

Chances of being randomly murdered in NYC from Nov 11-13, 2023: 0.00000001%

Chances of being randomly murdered in Morgantown during a random 48 hour stretch: 0.0000000001%

The difference is insignificant
When you can show a weeks worth of daily videos showing regular people walking down the street in Morgantown, WV being pushed to the ground, getting the crap beat out them or having a gun shot at them, then I'll agree with you. Until then, NYC is a much more dangerous place to be.

When you can show a weeks worth of daily videos showing regular people walking down the street in Morgantown, WV being pushed to the ground, getting the crap beat out them or having a gun shot at them, then I'll agree with you. Until then, NYC is a much more dangerous place to be.

How do you not understand that you are comparing one of the most populated cities in the world to a small town? NYC has 8.5 million people. The chances of you being murdered in the 48 hours you are there is as close to 0 as you can get. I have no doubt that you do see these crime videos but the total population has to be taken into account. If you took a region of Appalachia with 8.5 million people, you could also show the same number or crime videos. In fact, the state of WV has a higher homicide rate than NYC.

Reactions: 4382
How do you not understand that you are comparing one of the most populated cities in the world to a small town? NYC has 8.5 million people. The chances of you being murdered in the 48 hours you are there is as close to 0 as you can get. I have no doubt that you do see these crime videos but the total population has to be taken into account. If you took a region of Appalachia with 8.5 million people, you could also show the same number or crime videos. In fact, the state of WV has a higher homicide rate than NYC.
SMF...Why is it that you continue to use the word...murder? I am not talking specifically about a person getting murdered. I am talking about a person being assaulted/attacked while doing nothing to provoke such as assault. People who have lived in NYC area moving out of the state at an alarming rate to get away from the violence, I haven't heard of that occurring in the Morgantown area.

SMF...Why is it that you continue to use the word...murder? I am not talking specifically about a person getting murdered. I am talking about a person being assaulted/attacked while doing nothing to provoke such as assault. People who have lived in NYC area moving out of the state at an alarming rate to get away from the violence, I haven't heard of that occurring in the Morgantown area.
You’re a zombie
Buddy let’s play a game check the population of nyc 2002 compared to 2012 and 2022
Facts counter your cable news narratives
Sit down

You’re a zombie
Buddy let’s play a game check the population of nyc 2002 compared to 2012 and 2022
Facts counter your cable news narratives
Sit down
Not sure you are comprehending what he is saying but VIOLENT crime is up dramatically in NYC.

Not sure you are comprehending what he is saying but VIOLENT crime is up dramatically in NYC.

But doesn't that follow the National trend? Crime was up in the entire country for a while during the pandemic and after.
They now seem to have leveled off, and are starting to decrease again.

so after 3 pages, did we decide if this is a better situation for Pitt or not? Frankly, im not going but i will be watching on tv and i feel like a game outside in a yankee stadium venue, will be a tad more entertaining on tv than watching it at a cavernous Carrier dome environment..

lets face facts, syracuse hasnt had a "home field" advantage in football since McNabb was a teenager.. they get a terrible crowd, it's quiet, almost depressing atmosphere. so it's not like we are going to benefit by not having to play in front of their "12th man" environment.

their 12th man are 12 guys in the crowd who probably got in the game for free and are watching their kids play for syracuse..

Last edited:
so after 3 pages, did we decide if this is a better situation for Pitt or not? Frankly, im not going but i will be watching on tv and i feel like a game outside, will be a tad more entertaining on tv than watching it at a cavernous Carrier dome environment..

lets face facts, syracuse hasnt had a "home field" advantage in football since McNabb was a teenager.. they get a terrible crowd, it's quiet, almost depressing atmosphere. so it's not like we are going to benefit by not having to play in front of their "12th man" environment.

their 12th man are 12 guys in the crowd who probably got in the game for free and are watching their kids play for syracuse..
I imagine it is better for Pitt and Cuse because there will be extra hype associated with playing in Yankee Stadium for this event.

Hopefully a Pitt/Cuse game wouldn't be on many people's radar as a much see contest, because Pitt owns the Orange.

But if we squeeze them on a bigger stage than the dome, it may help because more people will see it.

Plus, for most, it will be a nice road trip. Like the Pinstripe Bowl without the threat of lousy weather.

I imagine it is better for Pitt and Cuse because there will be extra hype associated with playing in Yankee Stadium for this event.

Hopefully a Pitt/Cuse game wouldn't be on many people's radar as a much see contest, because Pitt owns the Orange.

But if we squeeze them on a bigger stage than the dome, it may help because more people will see it.

Plus, for most, it will be a nice road trip. Like the Pinstripe Bowl without the threat of lousy weather.
Absolutely better for Pitt. No brainer. Not one downside at all. Also complete no brainer for the ACC.

If Pitt had a choice, they'd probably prefer all @Syracuse football games be moved there permanently.

Reactions: FreeportPanther

And I’d say compare that to 10 years ago
Your perceived trend isnt
For crying out loud - comparing to covid lockdown is a stupid way to see the world and data

Instead of hearing about Dinosaur BBQ......you have to listen to the non-sense that NYC has the best pizza.
I’ve had some pretty good pizza in different cities through my life. I grew up on Mineo’s and Aiello’s and I crave it when I come back to Pittsburgh. Still, NYC really does have the best pizza.

I have lived in NYC and in the surrounding area for over 25 years now, and there are probably more than two dozen pizza places where you’d likely find their pizza to be pretty special. Just stay away from touristy places like Ray’s, Famous Ray’s, Original Ray’s, Original Famous Ray’s joints.

Last edited:
I’ve had some pretty good pizza in different cities through my life. I grew up on Mineo’s and Aiello’s and I crave it when I come back to Pittsburgh. Still, NYC really does have the best pizza.

I have lived in NYC and in the surrounding area for over 20 years now, and there are probably more than two dozen pizza places where you’d likely find their pizza to be pretty special. Just stay away from touristy places like Ray’s, Famous Ray’s, Original Ray’s, Original Famous Ray’s joints.

Lombardi's was a challenge. Had to buy a whole pie, and my wife isn't a big eater.
Had to knock off one by myself, for lunch, and had dinner reservations at a great spot later on.
Talk about a bloated day!! But I got through it. Should have had Federiko and the twins with me!!

And I’d say compare that to 10 years ago
Your perceived trend isnt
For crying out loud - comparing to covid lockdown is a stupid way to see the world and data
Wow...you are not getting it at all. VIOLENT crime is up. This is not perceived. It was on a decline and then rapidly jumped in the past two years.

Wow...you are not getting it at all. VIOLENT crime is up. This is not perceived. It was on a decline and then rapidly jumped in the past two years.

Stop getting your news from gossip rags and entertainment channels

I have lived in NYC and in the surrounding area for over 20 years now, and there are probably more than two dozen pizza places where you’d likely find their pizza to be pretty special. Just stay away from touristy places like Ray’s, Famous Ray’s, Original Ray’s, Original Famous Ray’s joints.

It does appear that you haven't been watching the news for the last year. NYC is a mess right now. I don't think that Batman and Robin would feel safe in NYC right now. There is no way that Morgantown can be safer than NYC.

NYC has certainly seen a bit of an uptick in crime the past few years- but it is still not as dangerous as the perception. I lived in NYC for more many years. I moved just across the river about a decade ago. It was quite safe when I lived there and it is still pretty safe.

The most concerning issue in NYC has.been the increase in people being pushed onto the subway tracks .You really have to be mindful of who is around you when you are waiting for a subway and be sure not to stand close to the edge of the tracks. Still, the likelihood of getting pushed onto the tracks or being attacked in any way while in NYC is very low. Just stay aware of your surroundings and avoid the more dangerous sections of the city.

I take my kids into the city to eat and see shows and go to museums quite often. There is no city in America that comes close to offering the amount of world class restaurants, shows, museums, shopping and sites. Plus, there is no urban setting quite as magical. It has street after street of beautiful architecture and wonderful diversity. The city may seem like one giant metropolis to visitors, but when you live there you see it more as many smaller neighborhoods stuck together -one after another- each with its own wonderfully unique experience.

Even if you don’t see yourself as someone who would want to live in NYC (and that’s fine), you do not want to deprive yourself of the opportunity to experience and explore what might just be the most spectacular city on Earth made up of must-see neighborhoods: Harlem, Upped East Side: Upper West Side; Columbus Circle, Central Park, Lincoln Square, Theatre District/Time Square, Midtown, Hell’s Kitchen, Garment District, Koreatown, Flatiron. District, Chelsea, Gramercy, Union Square, Meatpacking District, Greenwich Village, East Village, Little Italy, Chinatown, Nolita, Noho, Soho, Tribeca, Lower East Side, Financial District, Battery Park - and that’s just the Manhattan borough. There are also so many amazing places to visit in Brooklyn (Williamsburg, Cobble Hill, Carrol Garden, Park Slope, Dumbo, Brooklyn Heights, Green Point, Prospect Heights; Bay Ridge, Bushwick). Even some pretty cool neighborhoods in the Bronx and other boroughs.

No place makes you feel alive as much as NYC.

Last edited:

Morgantown is smaller than Mount Lebanon. I dont know why you aren't comprehending this. You would have to compare Morgantown to like one city block of Manhattan. And actually, Morgantown's violent crime rate is higher than New York City's. NYC's murder rate and violent crime rates are very low. Fox News is tricking you.

I didn't realize there were so many grown men that were so afraid.
afraid or just dont want to go to a cess pool? I see dog crap on the sidewalk, i am not afraid of it, i just dont want to step in it so i walk around it.

kind of the same concept here.

if you want to go, no one is stopping you. have fun. why are you worried about what strangers think of nyc? you dont even know these people.

I didn't realize there were so many grown men that were so afraid.
I live in Baltimore area, I go into the city, even at night. I also don't own any guns. People I know ask me, "You go into the city?" YES, "You mean you go there unarmed and you're not scared?" YES. I know people taking handgun training and getting carry permits, because they're actually scared to go out of the house, I JUST LAUGH AT THEIR FEEBLE ASSES :) :) :) and yes most of them are conservative, me I'm not conservative and HATE WOKE IDEOLOGIES, I'm a huge anomaly, but I'm not scared to go out. I never owned a gun, but I'm OK with people owning them.

I live in Baltimore area, I go into the city, even at night. I also don't own any guns. People I know ask me, "You go into the city?" YES, "You mean you go there unarmed and you're not scared?" YES. I know people taking handgun training and getting carry permits, because they're actually scared to go out of the house, I JUST LAUGH AT THEIR FEEBLE ASSES :) :) :) and yes most of them are conservative, me I'm not conservative and HATE WOKE IDEOLOGIES, I'm a huge anomaly, but I'm not scared to go out. I never owned a gun, but I'm OK with people owning them.
well if you want good meth or heroine, you got to get your feet dirty and go slumming.

• Haha
I don't recall every feeling in danger traveling around Baltimore. Or Detroit. Or Chicago. Or New York. Or LA. Or really any city. I hung out in Harlem one night. Like, mind your own damn business and you'll be fine. Philly is much worse than NYC in terms of trash and just general nastiness.

I don't recall every feeling in danger traveling around Baltimore. Or Detroit. Or Chicago. Or New York. Or LA. Or really any city. I hung out in Harlem one night. Like, mind your own damn business and you'll be fine. Philly is much worse than NYC in terms of trash and just general nastiness.
you guys need to stop preaching to us about new york city and start preaching this to the illegals who are leaving New York City due to homelessness, drugs and poverty.

Dont tell us, tell them. They've had enough and are going to canada. Pittdan77, you speak spanish? Lets go, before it's too late. we have faith in you ese, now spread the message..

you guys need to stop preaching to us about new york city and start preaching this to the illegals who are leaving New York City due to homelessness, drugs and poverty.

Dont tell us, tell them. They've had enough and are going to canada. Pittdan77, you speak spanish? Lets go, before it's too late. we have faith in you ese, now spread the message..

I thought the migrants were scary, too? This makes NYC safer according to everything I've read.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT