ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt plays Cuse at Yankee Stadium

Hailpitt

Junior
Jul 5, 2001
I did not realize Pitt and Cuse played very first college football game at Yankee stadium in 1923. Cool

Makes a perceived dull game somewhat interesting, though I loathe the possible negative impact of a sideshow distraction for us, since we’ve typically dominated this series of late.

What's bad about it?
The fact that the field needs to be laid out diagonally to fit on a baseball surface, along with the lower slope in stands compared to a football stadium. Makes it very difficult to watch the game from many seats. It might be fine to watch baseball, but having 22 players at the far end by 1st baseline you can’t see anything if you’re sitting at the other end in left field. You end up watching on the scoreboard.

The fact that the field needs to be laid out diagonally to fit on a baseball surface, along with the lower slope in stands compared to a football stadium. Makes it very difficult to watch the game from many seats. It might be fine to watch baseball, but having 22 players at the far end by 1st baseline you can’t see anything if you’re sitting at the other end in left field. You end up watching on the scoreboard.
It looks the same on TV.

It is like having a bowl game built into the schedule. Not a bad thing.

Now, if we were to be selected by the Pinstripe bowl, a month later, that would suck.
Bad thing if you are a Syracuse student or local fan who would need to take a 4+ hour trip for a home game...Pretty sure Pitt fans would be pissed for a home game switch...

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Bad thing if you are a Syracuse student or local fan who would need to take a 4+ hour trip for a home game...Pretty sure Pitt fans would be pissed for a home game switch...
The university probably gets paid well by TV or whoever decided to stage this game.

I think they are counting on 10K Pitt fans (if we are good) for a sellout. That plus the Yankee check makes the game more profitable than in the Dome

I think they are counting on 10K Pitt fans (if we are good) for a sellout. That plus the Yankee check makes the game more profitable than in the Dome
since it did not sink in the first time I'll give it another go...uh, ya, so what? I was posting about the students and fans getting screwed over...

since it did not sink in the first time I'll give it another go...uh, ya, so what? I was posting about the students and fans getting screwed over...
Money come first doesn't it?

Yea but so what. Its better for Pitt and Pitt fans and financially better for Syracuse. They have a large alumni base in NYC. I doubt many Syracuse students will complain they cant go to 4-6 Syracuse vs Pitt

Like with the need to embrace prodigal son recruits, fans of programs like Pitt have to accept that the state of affairs today are going to necessitate accepting such things that previously would have seemed distasteful, in order to maintain our tenuous hold on the fringe of the top level of the sport.

It looks the same on TV.
I think that’s the idea. It will probably get a little more media exposure than Pitt at SU in the Dome, because of Yankee Stadium. I’m sure there will be fans of both teams that make a point to attend because of it, but ultimately it isn’t done to increase ticket sales.

I think that’s the idea. It will probably get a little more media exposure than Pitt at SU in the Dome, because of Yankee Stadium. I’m sure there will be fans of both teams that make a point to attend because of it, but ultimately it isn’t done to increase ticket sales.
They probably make more money this way or they probably wouldn't do it.

always wondered why Nutting hasn’t invited Kent to host a game at PNC park against WVU opposite Pitt’s typical September rental victim.

You really think you'd travel that much?

Hotels in Manhattan are $300 and up.

I doubt Cuse brings more than 17K and Pitt surely will be affected by the Steelers schedule.

You really think you'd travel that much?

Hotels in Manhattan are $300 and up.

I doubt Cuse brings more than 17K and Pitt surely will be affected by the Steelers schedule.

If we are good then yes. There's a large alumni base within 2 hours of Yankee Stadium and I'm sure a good number of Western PA fans will make the trip

ADVERTISEMENT