ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Scientists and Covid-19

Pitt cures Covid 19

Steelers: ok you can have one more game with script Pitt in the endzone, maybe.

Nutting: your recognition ceremony will need to be at noon so we can drive up attendance for me.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
While I hope this is something that can lead to a vaccine or whatever it would produce, there have been to many "may" or "could" through this pandemic. We need a "will" cure.
We haven't successfully "cured" the flu for all the years we've been producing vaccines for it. Unlikely this will be 100% either

Was their vaccine effort a flop? Haven't heard anything about it. Did even make it to a Phase 1 trial?

It evolves
The annual vaccine picks and predicts the 4 most likely strains out of hundreds

Sometimes they guess right - sometimes it’s not the right strains .

That's the beauty of this new breakthrough. It prevents the use of the "spike".

Was their vaccine effort a flop? Haven't heard anything about it. Did even make it to a Phase 1 trial?
Pitt’s vaccine is still ongoing. Getting ready for phase 3 trials. If successful this could be the best of the vaccines out there. Their delivery system is the best by far. It is a patch with 400 micro needles so you put it on like a band aid. It can be stored without freezing or refrigeration. This makes it great for mass usage.

Reactions: plcp
Pitt’s vaccine is still ongoing. Getting ready for phase 3 trials. If successful this could be the best of the vaccines out there. Their delivery system is the best by far. It is a patch with 400 micro needles so you put it on like a band aid. It can be stored without freezing or refrigeration. This makes it great for mass usage.

Yep. Anyone that works will be fantastic. But there’s a lot of concern about distribution and storage with the traditional ones. If this one hits it eliminates a lot of potential roadblocks/issues.

There are three vaccines that Pitt was/is involved with.

Pitt was a partner with the Pasteur Institute and the Austrian company Themis to develop a measles vector vaccine. Themis was purchased by Merck and moved it into phase 1 clinical trials in August. Pitt, as far as I can tell, is no longer actively involved.

The vaccine being developed with the microneedle patch, PittCoVacc, is still in preclinical development. The third vaccine candidate being developed at Pitt is also in preclinical development. These are both years away from any hypothetical approval.

Reactions: singregardless
But there’s a lot of concern about distribution and storage with the traditional ones.

Of the two vaccines the furthest along one would need to be stored at 30° F. The other would need to be stored at -70°F. Which almost no facilities (doctor's offices, clinics, etc.) in the country are currently capable of handling. Their current plan (which is in the preliminary stages) is to ship the vaccine in a special refridgerator packed with dry ice to maintain the temperature.

It evolves
The annual vaccine picks and predicts the 4 most likely strains out of hundreds

Sometimes they guess right - sometimes it’s not the right strains .
I know that, just pointing out, based upon prior experience with a virus, a vaccine is not going to eradicate covid, not even close

True
Masking and social distancing will be the norm for a long time I fear
I think most people are just going to start living their lives. It should get much better as it looks like that most people make tcells to fight it and they are long term. The big concern is if this becomes like the flu where it mutates and the current immunity doesn't work for the new mutations

I think most people are just going to start living their lives. It should get much better as it looks like that most people make tcells to fight it and they are long term. The big concern is if this becomes like the flu where it mutates and the current immunity doesn't work for the new mutations
Masking allows people to safely live their lives
It’s really not a big deal and small sacrifice

Reactions: CougarClaws
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT