ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt soccer

I cannot believe there is no mention of Pitt beating #6 rated WVU last night 3-0.
Yeah I think a match like that generates a bit more interest so there’s a couple threads on the football board.

Reactions: BBHSpanther
Saw the game on ACCN last night, great game for Pitt, they dominated in every way, possession, attack, defense. How was WVU ranked ahead of them? It was 3-0 but it wasn't even that close, could of been 6-0.

Reactions: jctrack
Saw the game on ACCN last night, great game for Pitt, they dominated in every way, possession, attack, defense. How was WVU ranked ahead of them? It was 3-0 but it wasn't even that close, could of been 6-0.
I likened last nights game to when WVU football had their historically best teams in the old BE. They played in a lesser league and did pretty well…but would not typically be able to stand up to a good team from the SEC. In this case, ACC soccer is SEC football and the Sunbelt (where WVU plays) is the old Big East.

Nobody really follows soccer so they just go by where you finished last year and how many you have coming back. WVU made it to the Elite 8 but didnt win any games in regulation, they drew VT, despite VT playing a man down and advanced on PKs. They beat Tulsa in OT.

Fantastic first half and what an amazing way to just stick it to a team early. The passing was just awesome and WVU really had no answer. Pitt clearly took the foot off the gas in the second half and just protected the lead.

Fantastic first half and what an amazing way to just stick it to a team early. The passing was just awesome and WVU really had no answer. Pitt clearly took the foot off the gas in the second half and just protected the lead.
WVU was playing with a back 5, really a back 6 early. Really trying to keep Pitt's chances down. Pitt couldn't get much going but all it took was the first time Jacquesson found some space and good night.

It’ll be interesting to see how they fair in conference. All teams are improving even bottom of the conference. I think they can jump Louisville, NC ST, and VT if they put it together. Nobody is touching UNC, Duke, Virginia, ND.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Howard was given seven yellows in the game tonight. I guess they figured that the only way they could stay with us was to try to hack us to pieces.

Pitt drops in ranking to # 10 due to the loss against Marshall.
RPI is 55. I know its early but WVU losing at PSU doesn't help. FWIW, WVU looked bad. Maybe it was just a bad game but I didn't think they were as good as any ACC team. So I wouldn't be surprised if they arent even an NCAAT team.

Pitt drops in ranking to # 10 due to the loss against Marshall.

The interesting thing there is that by beating Michigan (lost to Duke 3-0 and tied Bowling Green at nil), Canisus (lost to Cleveland State 4-0), Robert Morris (0-3 on the season) and James Madison (1-3 with a 3-0 loss to Virginia), somehow the Duquesne Dukes got 15 points to tie them for 30th in the poll.

I'm guessing that means that one coach voted Duquesne 11th. I wonder if it was their coach?

The interesting thing there is that by beating Michigan (lost to Duke 3-0 and tied Bowling Green at nil), Canisus (lost to Cleveland State 4-0), Robert Morris (0-3 on the season) and James Madison (1-3 with a 3-0 loss to Virginia), somehow the Duquesne Dukes got 15 points to tie them for 30th in the poll.

I'm guessing that means that one coach voted Duquesne 11th. I wonder if it was their coach?
Arrow pointing up for the Dukes. They lost in the A10 final to the SLU dynasty and I think it was a close game. Looking like a rematch maybe this year. Duquesne probably has to win the A10T or have some ridiculous record to get an at-large.

Arrow pointing up for the Dukes. They lost in the A10 final to the SLU dynasty and I think it was a close game. Looking like a rematch maybe this year. Duquesne probably has to win the A10T or have some ridiculous record to get an at-large.

They were 10-7-2 overall last season (including a 7-0 loss to Pitt) and 3-3-2 in the A10. The fact that they pulled two upsets in the A10 tournament doesn't mean that they are on the upswing, because they were a .500 team in an awful league.

And by the way, the coaches in their league thought that the arrow was pointing so far up for the Dukes that they voted them 7th (one point ahead of 8th) in the preseason A10 poll.

They were 10-7-2 overall last season (including a 7-0 loss to Pitt) and 3-3-2 in the A10. The fact that they pulled two upsets in the A10 tournament doesn't mean that they are on the upswing, because they were a .500 team in an awful league.
I would think that's a big improvement for Duquesne soccer but I cant say I follow them. I just picture them being one of the worst programs in the nation

No, I do. Duquesne is a trash soccer program that appears to be getting better.

As is evidenced by the fact that they finished tied for 6th in the A10 last season and this season they were predicted to finish all the way up to, ah, well, 7th.

Or in other words, you had no idea what you were talking about.

Imagine that.

Reactions: Ski11585
As is evidenced by the fact that they finished tied for 6th in the A10 last season and this season they were predicted to finish all the way up to, ah, well, 7th.

Or in other words, you had no idea what you were talking about.

Imagine that.
They were the 2nd best team in the A10 using your Marshall was the best team in 2020-21 logic.

Yeah, like I said it looks like one coach voted Duquesne 11th after they beat four bad teams. Which leads to speculation as to whether or not Duquesne's coach is one of the voters.
These early voting rankings are so fluid. anything can happen in just one week. Beat a good team lose to a bad team. WVU is now falling apart. VT blown out by UVA. Pitt beats several good teams, lose to a good Marshall and beat UNC at UNC. Butler jumps to 12th and drop game to OSU. On womens side Stanford loses to northwestern. Lots of other teams win big lose big. Alabama women lose to Miami but win against Vanderbilt, Clemson and BYU. the top 25 will change 100 times with soccer.

Yeah, like I said it looks like one coach voted Duquesne 11th after they beat four bad teams. Which leads to speculation as to whether or not Duquesne's coach is one of the voters.
I don't think Duquesne is good but its possible that they're the 2nd best team in the A10, which is a mid-major league but still. Might be a showdown in October. The City Match??? Put it at Acrisure and pack the place.

I don't think Duquesne is good but its possible that they're the 2nd best team in the A10, which is a mid-major league but still. Might be a showdown in October. The City Match??? Put it at Acrisure and pack the place.

Only if they make the upper deck tickets no more than $10.

ADVERTISEMENT