ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt soccer

#16 (RPI) Pitt has to go to #7 UVa, then #4 Duke, then #3 Syracuse. If they beat those 3 teams, I would guess we get a Top 4 national seed and host until the College Cup.

If we lose to UVa: 15 or 16 national seed, 1st Round Bye, host R32, road for Sweet 16

If we beat UVa and lose to Duke: 12-14

If we beat Duke and lose to Syr: 7-8 national seed
We’d possibly have to get through Syracuse before Duke. Syracuse is #2, Duke is #1.

As an aside, as I walked up the stairs to the game one of the geniuses in the yellow security jackets stopped me and was wondering whether or not he should allow me to come in and watch the game.

Regulation was just ending as the basketball game ended. I thought about walking over to watch the overtimes, but I know that they have those security people standing at the gate and I thought about how pissed off I'd be if I walked over and they wouldn't let me in, so I just got in the car and went home.

This has to be the first 4-1 double OT match in the history of soccer
Real Madrid beat Atletico Madrid 4-1 in OT.

Atletico was winning 1-0 when Real tied it in minute 9 of what was supposed to be 5 minutes of added time. (This happens a lot with Real Madrid. They won a match last year in the 14th minute of 6 minutes of added time.) Atletico didn’t have a deep squad and they were exhausted. RM converted a PK and then scored two more when Atletico was playing with 10 players.

The announcers said last night that Vidovich said Syracuse is like a USL team. Not sure how they got this good this quick.
I looked at their roster the other day, figuring they must have loaded up on Europeans, South Americans and/or Africans. Nope. They have 5 Germans, an Italian, a Costa Rican and a Ghanaian on the team, but none are superstars. They have 6 Canadians, but that’s not surprising based on their location. They have had a lot of transfers in the past two years and a few are big contributors.

One thing I noticed is that they are deep in defense and all of their defenders are big. A few are in the 6’3 to 6’5 range. I think their shortest CB is 6’1. A far cry from our defense, which is pretty short.

Two of their transfers were stars at Seattle and Akron, but if you look at their roster they don’t look like a top 5 team on paper.

ADVERTISEMENT