Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Have come against the following teams based on RPI

Best wins over
6 ND
25 Columbia

Syracuse and WVU sliding hasn't helped.

Pitt's RPI is 22 right now. I think if they beat VT, they get in but its probably 50/50 if they lose their first ACCT game to finish 9-9.

By the way, I had no idea Pol Planellas played in Barcelona's youth system from 14-18 then played with Barcelona's B team until 2016. On the game broadcast Tuesday, which he didn't play in, the announcer said something like Vidovich said he's one of the best players in college soccer and one of the best players he's ever coached. That goes to show you the disparity in talent from a place like Spain to the US. In Spain, his soccer days were basically over. After being released (Im assuming) by Barcelona and Deportivo, he played for a semi-pro side while apparently going to college. He comes to the states and he's probably an MLS draft pick though being that there are less than 200 international MLS players allowed, that may hurt his chances.

Its unfortunate the NCAA gave him senior eligibility and Perez junior eligibility. But one thing I wonder is with these guys playing for big clubs in Spain, in their youth systems, how were they NOT paid? My understanding is those kids are paid something from a young age. Even if not at the youth level, how was Planellas playing for Barcelona B for free? I mean he's played games in the Spanish 2nd Division, maybe one of the Top 10-15 leagues in the world and probably better than MLS. Hard to imagine he wasn't getting paid. Are the rules different for soccer?

Have come against the following teams based on RPI

Best wins over
6 ND
25 Columbia

Syracuse and WVU sliding hasn't helped.

Pitt's RPI is 22 right now. I think if they beat VT, they get in but its probably 50/50 if they lose their first ACCT game to finish 9-9.

By the way, I had no idea Pol Planellas played in Barcelona's youth system from 14-18 then played with Barcelona's B team until 2016. On the game broadcast Tuesday, which he didn't play in, the announcer said something like Vidovich said he's one of the best players in college soccer and one of the best players he's ever coached. That goes to show you the disparity in talent from a place like Spain to the US. In Spain, his soccer days were basically over. After being released (Im assuming) by Barcelona and Deportivo, he played for a semi-pro side while apparently going to college. He comes to the states and he's probably an MLS draft pick though being that there are less than 200 international MLS players allowed, that may hurt his chances.

Its unfortunate the NCAA gave him senior eligibility and Perez junior eligibility. But one thing I wonder is with these guys playing for big clubs in Spain, in their youth systems, how were they NOT paid? My understanding is those kids are paid something from a young age. Even if not at the youth level, how was Planellas playing for Barcelona B for free? I mean he's played games in the Spanish 2nd Division, maybe one of the Top 10-15 leagues in the world and probably better than MLS. Hard to imagine he wasn't getting paid. Are the rules different for soccer?
Good questions. And I have no idea. But I do know that Men's college soccer stinks for this reason. Our youth players have such slim chances of D1 scholarships due to the international players coming over and playing here. Throw in Title IX and the more limited amount of scholarships available is further damaging. Just another reason why our scholarship chasing parents can push their kids toward other sports.

My boy plays soccer and is an ok athlete. I don't have any skewed opinions of his place in the sporting world. He will play soccer and play at the D3 level if he wants. That's essentially because anyone can play at the D3 level. But if he were a great athlete, I'd get him out of soccer. He may leave soccer anyway...as his type of athleticism may suit him better on the football field or the mat room. Not the soccer field.

Bottom line-soccer is a tough avenue for boys of college is their goal.

For girls--it's great.

ADVERTISEMENT