ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Stadium

the_insider_

Freshman
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2018
I never went to Pitt stadium (was torn down when I was 4 or 5) and my dad said I was never there. That being said, with the #OurTeamNotHis trend, I saw some people joke about #OurStadiumNotHeinz . If Pitt were to ever build a new on-campus stadium I would love for it to be a replica of Pitt Stadium (New Pitt Stadium) like Old v New Yankee Stadium. I think Pitt stadium, from the outside, looked so cool.

Reactions: NTOP and W1np1tt
IF it ever happens that would be cool! Walking up Cardiac Hill before a game always gave me chills!

• il_794xN.1887289614_1n7v.jpg

I never went to Pitt stadium (was torn down when I was 4 or 5) and my dad said I was never there. That being said, with the #OurTeamNotHis trend, I saw some people joke about #OurStadiumNotHeinz . If Pitt were to ever build a new on-campus stadium I would love for it to be a replica of Pitt Stadium (New Pitt Stadium) like Old v New Yankee Stadium. I think Pitt stadium, from the outside, looked so cool.
If they build one, then I hope it is nothing like Pitt Stadium. Stanford Stadium or something similar would be a better model.

Yeah I think the outside is awesome! I hate ND, but reminds me of their stadium. I think it would be cool to embrace the history!
a tighter Pitt stadium (no track) with the same design and 42,000 seats and no bleachers would be great...they should keep the same old Pitt stadium bathroom design though. As you are not old enough, you missed on that little game day pleasure...

I wouldn't putt it past Pitt to tear down an already existing Pitt Stadium only to build a replica 25 years later.

However, we don't need a replica. Pitt needs a modern and modest stadium along the lines of Stanford, as mentioned. It can be built relatively cheaply, but look great and Pitt would have complete control.

Reactions: RingDinger
a tighter Pitt stadium (no track) with the same design and 42,000 seats and no bleachers would be great.
You would want the seats to be at a higher angle in a traditional bowl with less than 50K seats or else it will feel tiny and not hold the sound as much as you'd want. Get the seats tight up against the field and at a high angle, and even a 40K seat stadium will feel loud.

On-campus stadium talk? I’m surprised this is being discussed since we’re winning right now ;)

If they're going to build it, they’re in a very unique time frame right now. They probably give it some pause right now with the pay for play issue arising (and all the uncertainty there) but you also need to have some urgency because 1) Heinz’s lease expires relatively soon and 2) the university is in the midst of a campus-wide master plan and you’d want to align any stadium with the rest of their plans.

If they bring football back to Oakland, it’d probably involve building a stadium where the current VA Hospital exists (which is unlikely with the amount of money they’ve put into renovations) or tearing down Posvar Hall, Holman Library, and the buildings immediately surrounding it and building one there.

I think the latter is actually more likely. Those buildings are extremely inefficient in terms of actual usage to square feet, and you could build new buildings that are more vertically-oriented as part of the master plan that would be easier to fit into Oakland. It’d be neat having a stadium there because of how close you are to the Cathedral and the lawn space surrounding that area (think of the tailgating/pregame festivity possibilities). You’re also closer to 376 and the proposed transit system that would connect South Oakland to the Hazelwood site, which would make getting in/out of Oakland easier. Maybe you could even restore Maz Field and turn it into a Forbes Field/Oakland museum.

The only other possibility I could see is if they build a new VA Hospital somewhere (near the airport?), they actually build a new basketball arena on that site since it’s a better fit for something of that scale and then build a new stadium where Pitt Stadium once stood.

Just my opinion, though.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
On-campus stadium talk? I’m surprised this is being discussed since we’re winning right now ;)

If they're going to build it, they’re in a very unique time frame right now. They probably give it some pause right now with the pay for play issue arising (and all the uncertainty there) but you also need to have some urgency because 1) Heinz’s lease expires relatively soon and 2) the university is in the midst of a campus-wide master plan and you’d want to align any stadium with the rest of their plans.

If they bring football back to Oakland, it’d probably involve building a stadium where the current VA Hospital exists (which is unlikely with the amount of money they’ve put into renovations) or tearing down Posvar Hall, Holman Library, and the buildings immediately surrounding it and building one there.

I think the latter is actually more likely. Those buildings are extremely inefficient in terms of actual usage to square feet, and you could build new buildings that are more vertically-oriented as part of the master plan that would be easier to fit into Oakland. It’d be neat having a stadium there because of how close you are to the Cathedral and the lawn space surrounding that area (think of the tailgating/pregame festivity possibilities). You’re also closer to 376 and the proposed transit system that would connect South Oakland to the Hazelwood site, which would make getting in/out of Oakland easier. Maybe you could even restore Maz Field and turn it into a Forbes Field/Oakland museum.

Just my opinion, though.

Bottom line is that if Pitt wants to build a stadium in Oakland, they can make the space. The problem is that they have no desire to do it. It's much easier for them to pretend that there is no problem playing at Heinz then to commit the efforts towards fundraising efforts, political efforts, etc to get it done. Almost any other college football program playing at this level would not think twice about building a new stadium. But Pitt's gotta Pitt.

Pitt needs a 40K-45K seat stadium no matter where it may be. The size is more important than the location.

I would think 50k for big games and maybe 8k seats might go unused or they could tarp a 5k section for not so big games.

PITT needs some flex capacity.

That takes 15k unused seats out of the picture.

I attended Pitt when the stadium was torn down and was HAPPY to see it go.

I saw it as a monstrosity on campus.

It was just a huge eyesore too me.

The huge walls were just not inviting or appealing to me.

I would love a stadium back on campus, but not another Pitt Stadium. Something more aesthetically pleasing and inviting.

Reactions: boseman7
At the end of the day, most people's recollection of the stadium is much different than the actual experience. I enjoyed games there as much as anyone but it wasn't a very good stadium and fans would complain like the world was ending if they had to walk that hill, now.

a tighter Pitt stadium (no track) with the same design and 42,000 seats and no bleachers would be great...they should keep the same old Pitt stadium bathroom design though. As you are not old enough, you missed on that little game day pleasure...

I agree 100% with no track or bleachers. If we're talking troughs to piss in, I've experienced Heinz lol.

Put it off of the Blvd of The Allies overlooking Bates, the river and the south side facility. Put a big Pitt script sign that all will see from south side. Have the subway go up the south side, across river and up Bates connecting Oakland to downtown. Also punch peduto in the face for considering a rapid bus system that will only make it harder for cars to get in and out of Oakland

key words. Real estate.
Real Estate is the key word but if PITT people wanted it to happen it will happen.
Big city people find ways to get things done in places where it would appear to be impossible.
PITT people are lazy, don't want it to happen, or a just plain incompetent.

If they want it to happen it will happen!

If Pitt were to build a "no frills" stadium, it would be a perfect built in excuse for "fans" not to attend.
  • The seats aren't as nice as Heinz Field
  • The concessions aren't as nice, or as varied
  • There's not enough parking near the stadium
  • And so on, and so on, ......

Reactions: tps48 and Celtsfan
That's another way to sum up CrazoPaco's soon to be posted analysis of Pitt's land compared to Stanford's gazillion acres of campus. I appreciate the brevity.
land really had nothing to do with it in Stanford's case, they built the new stadium on the same ground as the old stadium so they didn't have to acquire any more land

Reactions: H2P 2003
land really had nothing to do with it in Stanford's case, they built the new stadium on the same ground as the old stadium so they didn't have to acquire any more land

I know, but that won't stop the soon to come post about how Pitt has .5 acres of space while Stanford has 6.3 trillion acres.

Reactions: Celtsfan
I understand that Pitt isn't going to build a new stadium in Oakland, so I live squarely in reality.

nah, you don’t. You understand pitt isn’t going to build it but you also think they can basically snap their fingers and make it happen. The logistics make it nearly impossible.

Reactions: wbrpanther
nah, you don’t. You understand pitt isn’t going to build it but you also think they can basically snap their fingers and make it happen. The logistics make it nearly impossible.

Nope, I've never said it would be easy. In fact, I think in this thread I mentioned that it would be hard and that's why they won't do it. My position is that Pitt could make it happen if they wanted. They don't, which is a shame because just about everyone else at Pitts level would take a different path.

Reactions: jctrack

As someone who attended a lot of games at Pitt Stadium, here is my summary of pros and cons:

Pros:
1. On campus. Obviously. With many university buildings surrounding it.
2. Historic.

Cons:
1. The oval shape and track put you far from the field and made for bad sight lines.
2. The surface was a bad rug that was hard as a rock. That would of course be different today.
3. Virtually no tailgating scene.
4. Poor access and parking. I didn't mind walking, but it was a hike.
5. Arguably too big. For Penn State and WVU, it was great. For Temple and Kent State, it felt even emptier than Heinz Field.
6. Amenities were non-existent. No suites, barely any food options, and a high school level press box. There also weren't video replay boards, but that was the case everywhere.

Push:
1. Bench seats. Could be cold, but I didn't care.
2. Bathrooms. They served their purpose. Also didn't care.

I've been to Notre Dame and OSU. They extensively renovated stadia from the same era, which I appreciate, but it was expensive and architecturally inelegant. Pitt didn't have that kind of funding.

In conclusion, Pitt would be better served adopting a different design if we ever moved back to campus.

First off, it isn't going to happen.

But if it ever does.... I hope it is NOTHING like Pitt Stadium.

Pitt Stadium was an absolute dump. I went to games at Pitt Stadium from 1976 through 1999. The track put all the seats farther from the field than they should be, the angle was too flat, so the sightlines stunk. The aluminum bench seating was horrendous, especially in cold weather, and the seat numbers were too close together so you would get squeezed on both sides more than flying coach. The bathrooms were disgusting, the concessions were crap, there was no good parking options, access to and from games was horrendous. It had god-awful artificial turf .. and not like today's field turf, it was basically green carpet on a concrete base. Attendance there was actually worse than at Heinz, and not by an insignificant amount.

There was literally NOTHING about Pitt Stadium that was redeemable, other than it was "ours" and students could walk to it.

If we ever build a new stadium, it should be NOTHING like Pitt Stadium.

I was at Pitt Stadium plenty of times as a kid, as an undergraduate student and as season ticket holder after graduation. Pitt Stadium was an absolute dump. It was in a great location but it was a dump. There were next to no concession areas, the bathrooms were a disaster and there was very little vending going on in the stands. The narrow bench seats (I have a section myself) were made of metal and had no seat backs. There was no seating anywhere n the entire stadium that had seat back. The stands were far too away from the playing field because of the track that ran around the perimeter. For those of us who are old enough, we can wax poetic about the great teams that played there and we would be correct about that. However, the stadium was one of the worst places to watch college football. If they ever build a new stadium (I highly doubt it) it should be nothing like the old Pitt Stadium. A new Pitt stadium would need to be intimate (42K - 45K seats) that are close to the field - closer than the seats are at Heinz Field.

My best memories are not of Pitt Stadium (1976 on when I first started to attend Pitt games)… I recall that they played football games there and I remember watching quite a few...nothing great about the venue...(except maybe the troughs in the men's rooms?) It wasn't an issue of a great stadium...it was an issue of a great location!

My memories are of OAKLAND...

Luna's...Chief's...Zelda's...
And terrible parking...but I managed...

It was at the center of things...that's what was exciting.

Marino's first game on his 18th birthday...against Kansas...incomplete...interception...touchdown to Ralph Still (I think that's it). And then out to the streets of Oakland. No buses...no driving...WALKING! Out to the neighborhood...Oakland, where Pitt is.

That's what I miss.

oakland = no freeway access, no parking. if they could put something down along the river (where the gravel operation is on the mon or where the industrial facility is near lawrenceville on the allegheny) might work.

An on campus stadium is a huge deal, I only wish I was uber powerful and had the juice to form a coalition of influential folks who all shared the same goal of bringing an on campus stadium back.

ADVERTISEMENT