ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt- Tenn Thoughts

4upmc

Sophomore
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2017
Tough loss. Not about moral victories, BUT we had a ton of key players injured. Slovis had a really bad TO that cost us before the half but he also made some excellent big time throws vs the blitz. I believe we win the game if he plays the 2nd half.

Izzy- many wrote him off. Despite our OC not helping him with the play calling he had a huge game. We only had 4 plays over 20 yards and he had 3 of those. Big 76 yd TD run, 25 yd run and 21 yd catch where he trucked the Tenn guy.

Hammond is the more natural runner, better instincts, etc. But let’s not forget last year Izzy lead us in yards, YPC, running TDs, receptions by RBs, basically every single stat. With that being said Hammond is very good and if our OC doesn’t get creative he is the better fit running inside. At the end of the day we need both backs and a combo works just like Ollison and Hall.

OL play has to get better. Kenny used his feet to cover most of their mistakes last year. This year we don’t have that luxury.

Play calling was frustrating. Everyone knew Izzy was running the ball in the second half. God for bid the OC gets a little creative near the goal line and uses play action on 1st or 2nd down. Or spread out the D and get Izzy in space.

DL missed a bunch of tackles in the first half. In the second half they were the DL we expected and stepped up big.

That was a bad call against Battle.

Before the season I had this down as most likely a loss. If you told me we would have all these injuries…especially Slovis going out I would have thought we wouldn’t be in the game until the end.

“IF” we get healthy (especially Slovis) I believe we still can still have a really nice year and contend for the ACC title.

On the flip side… Tennessee had several chances to put Pitt away and didn’t. Fumble, blocked punt, muffed punt, dropped TD…

On the flip side… Tennessee had several chances to put Pitt away and didn’t. Fumble, blocked punt, muffed punt, dropped TD…
Correct they did. But Pitt also had many bad plays. The difference is Tenn wasn’t hit with all the injuries. If you lose your starting QB at the half it’s a major drop off as it was for Pitt.

Correct they did. But Pitt also had many bad plays. The difference is Tenn wasn’t hit with all the injuries. If you lose your starting QB at the half it’s a major drop off as it was for Pitt.

Milton is probably the best back up QB in the country, so I disagree.

Milton is probably the best back up QB in the country,
Absolutely, my only question is how long can the pollsters keep UT out of the number one spot, what with each player the best in the country and its 1 NC in the last 60 years, in fact last time I was in Knoxville, I stood in awe of the Heisman runner-up trophy case (which was empty since their is no trophy but it is the thought that counts, right?) Plus now UT has a win over Pitt, quite an accomplishment .

Reactions: 4upmc
Absolutely, my only question is how long can the pollsters keep UT out of the number one spot, what with each player the best in the country and its 1 NC in the last 60 years, in fact last time I was in Knoxville, I stood in awe of the Heisman runner-up trophy case (which was empty since their is no trophy but it is the thought that counts, right?) Plus now UT has a win over Pitt, quite an accomplishment .

LOL

Milton is probably the best back up QB in the country, so I disagree.
That’s interesting considering most Tennessee fans seemed to play the whole “if Hooker played the whole game we would have won…” card in the game last year, with Milton’s misfires. But there are tons of “what ifs” on both sides both this year and last.

Let’s just take this for what it was - a good back and forth home and home series between two teams that were mostly evenly matched and should be set up to be successful this year.

ADVERTISEMENT