ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Tennis beat PSU today

Regardless of what your take is, US college men's and women's tennis is an international competition. Our coach, Alex Santos, came to us from Miami (Florida) with an impressive international resume.

Sorry I inadvertently cut myself off. Alex, in a few short years, has made over the team with excellent players from Europe, Japan and South America. With no on campus facilities, he's brought this team oh so close to being really competitive in the ACC. You probably don't follow tennis so you likely can't appreciate how far we've really come. I follow this team and they are fun to watch. Oh, they are led by a Pittsburgh girl who reps our town to the max.

Regardless of what your take is, US college men's and women's tennis is an international competition. Our coach, Alex Santos, came to us from Miami (Florida) with an impressive international resume.

I know the top teams in D2 are loaded with foreign kids. D1 women seem to have a little more American flavor. I don't follow it too closely. Had a friend play for Duquesne a couple years ago.

My son played for BC 15 years ago. I remember on one of their season opening Florida trips they played Duquesne whose top 2 players were from the Bahamas. Even then!
We can't get a top 100 nationally ranked US woman, not without facilities and no reputation. That's true of a lot of schools. The only way to get an impactful player is to look internationally and you have to have contacts to get the best. Alex has those contacts and it's starting to show.

My son played for BC 15 years ago. I remember on one of their season opening Florida trips they played Duquesne whose top 2 players were from the Bahamas. Even then!
We can't get a top 100 nationally ranked US woman, not without facilities and no reputation. That's true of a lot of schools. The only way to get an impactful player is to look internationally and you have to have contacts to get the best. Alex has those contacts and it's starting to show.

i assume these are girls who were on some sort of track to go pro but they weren't quite good enough. correct?

I can't answer the professional track question. All I know is the talent level and upside potential of our recent recruits has significantly improved.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT