ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt UNC Defining game for career of PN

Saboteur II

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2020
Sliding quickly into obscurity after a conference championship is not part of the plan.
But if Pitt does not beat UNC that is where Pitt will once again find itself, like it or not.
From my perch, winning this game launches a rescue of our season.
A loss puts us back into obscurity and with it PN.
This is his defining moment game.

Sliding quickly into obscurity after a conference championship is not part of the plan.
But if Pitt does not beat UNC that is where Pitt will once again find itself, like it or not.
Disagree. He has proven to be a 7-5 coach. Even if he wins this, he will find a way to 7-5

It's like some of you forgot what the thirty years before Duzz were like.

I love this message board. There are 7 career/program defining games every year according to panther lair.

This game is probably the difference between the Fenway Bowl and the Motor City Bowl. The stakes could not possibly be lower.

Yeah, this season appears to be trending toward 5-6 Pitt facing 5-6 Miami in front of this dude and maybe 7,000 others.

ByfMmgbIQAAQxXC.jpg

They guessed wrong when they tried to make the last game of the schedule mean something this season.

Yeah, this season appears to be trending toward 5-6 Pitt facing 5-6 Miami in front of this dude and maybe 7,000 others.

ByfMmgbIQAAQxXC.jpg

They guessed wrong when they tried to make the last game of the schedule mean something this season.
And you know what, that would be the time we actually beat Miami. In an inconsequential game to earn a Birmingham Bowl bid

I was prepared to disagree with you until I read your explanation and it makes sense. Our back it against the wall but 2 ranked wins puts us in position with a punchers chance. I doubt the ACC wants that though so we better be prepared to beat UNC and the refs. Our d line has been literally getting tackled and no flags have been thrown, but our recent losses have still been our fault.

I’m NOT predicting this to happen, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Pitt ran the table and won the last 5 games…..

I thought for sure Narduzzi was toast after the WMU game last season. Then he turns it around and wins 10 out of the last 12 games……He’s like that crazed monk Rasputin, he’s hard to kill….

And just when you think he’s about to go on the hot seat, he does something to keep hope alive.

For example, he has a losing season in 2017. Going into the last game Pitt is 5-6 and then Pickett leads Pitt to an upset victory over #2 Miami….Hope is renewed!

With his contract, it’s gonna take more than silver bullets and a wooden stake for him to be removed any time soon….

The ACC and the refs want UNC to win. Pitt has a very, very slim chance of winning this one unless we hit a bunch of big plays on offense and defense and go up by 5 TD's early. Then we better hold on for dear life and hope our defense can stay disciplined. We're known to be an undisciplined team and I'm sure the refs will make sure the penalty flags against Pitt will be flying.

But what difference does it make? This season is going nowhere except to some insignificant, unknown exhibition game is some wintery city.

A mediocre follow up to the championship season redeems those who diminished it. During the off season I heard from multiple people at the time that it wasn’t even a ‘legitimate’ championship because we ‘only’ beat Wake to do it. Basically that if we didn’t beat Clemson for it than it wasn’t as special. Even though I reminded each of these separate people very patiently that we beat Clemson in the same season, they weren’t backing off that. Haters will hate for sure but these weren’t even Nits or Eers or Domers or the like, just casual sports followers. So that’s one thing that stinking in the following year does, anyway. It reinforces idiocy like that.

I’m NOT predicting this to happen, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Pitt ran the table and won the last 5 games…..

I thought for sure Narduzzi was toast after the WMU game last season. Then he turns it around and wins 10 out of the last 12 games……He’s like that crazed monk Rasputin, he’s hard to kill….

And just when you think he’s about to go on the hot seat, he does something to keep hope alive.

For example, he has a losing season in 2017. Going into the last game Pitt is 5-6 and then Pickett leads Pitt to an upset victory over #2 Miami….Hope is renewed!

With his contract, it’s gonna take more than silver bullets and a wooden stake for him to be removed any time soon….
Actually it was worse in 2017. 4-7 heading into Miami and looking like the first 4 win or less season since 1998. Pulled the rabbit out of the hat and somehow won to save some face that season.

And you are right. Lyke loves him. Doesn't embarrass the university. Is competitive most of the time. And he is loyal. So say hello to more 8-4 and if we somehow win a 6 way tiebreaker we may get back to Charlotte someday in the future

Reactions: pittmeister
A mediocre follow up to the championship season redeems those who diminished it. During the off season I heard from multiple people at the time that it wasn’t even a ‘legitimate’ championship because we ‘only’ beat Wake to do it. Basically that if we didn’t beat Clemson for it than it wasn’t as special. Even though I reminded each of these separate people very patiently that we beat Clemson in the same season, they weren’t backing off that. Haters will hate for sure but these weren’t even Nits or Eers or Domers or the like, just casual sports followers. So that’s one thing that stinking in the following year does, anyway. It reinforces idiocy like that.
It’s actually more like we wanted pat to show last year wasn’t an aberration…and so far it sure seems like it.

he didn’t even have to win the ACC this year. 9-3 really would have done a lot to sustain last year.

he didn’t even have to win the ACC this year. 9-3 really would have done a lot to sustain last year.
I sound like a broken record but I said all along you need a Top 25 finish to consider season a success. Didn't even need an ACC championship. Just can't have another 7-5 with a return to the BVVA compass bowl or whatever.

So I'll withhold judgment as the season isn't over and that goal is still on the table

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
I sound like a broken record but I said all along you need a Top 25 finish to consider season a success. Didn't even need an ACC championship. Just can't have another 7-5 with a return to the BVVA compass bowl or whatever.

So I'll withhold judgment as the season isn't over and that goal is still on the table
Yeah, maybe they run things out? Doesn’t look likely though.

The real problem with a mediocre year is you have next year looming, with tons of talent leaving and a brutal schedule he really needed to perform this year

Reactions: kma0043
How can this be a defining game for PN. According to him, they’re still undefeated this year. Or should I say, no one has beaten Pitt this year, Pitt has beat itself 3 times.

I give him credit though, at least he didn’t say the refs beat ‘em once or twice, like some Pitt fans do.

It's like some of you forgot what the thirty years before Duzz were like.
And some of you seem to think that continuing to show that the program has taken a step forward coming off the best season in school history, with a lot of key starters returning and against a largely pathetic schedule, is somehow an unreasonable expectation.

The ACC and the refs want UNC to win. Pitt has a very, very slim chance of winning this one unless we hit a bunch of big plays on offense and defense and go up by 5 TD's early. Then we better hold on for dear life and hope our defense can stay disciplined. We're known to be an undisciplined team and I'm sure the refs will make sure the penalty flags against Pitt will be flying.

But what difference does it make? This season is going nowhere except to some insignificant, unknown exhibition game is some wintery city.
LOL - The officials are the boogeymen. Thanks for your input Tinfoil Man.

How can this be a defining game for PN. According to him, they’re still undefeated this year. Or should I say, no one has beaten Pitt this year, Pitt has beat itself 3 times.

I give him credit though, at least he didn’t say the refs beat ‘em once or twice, like some Pitt fans do.
Narduzzi doesn’t think he’s undefeated

it’s a motivational tactic… and he’s right… three times in the red zone you turn the ball over after doing the work of getting there? That’s the definition of beating yourself. You can’t even blame Cignetti.

Yeah I’m not betting on it to happen either, but his teams are resilient. You can point to moments in other seasons too - like when 2016 was going down the drain after the back to back losses to VT and Miami, he pulls the Clemson game out of his behind. Or 2018 after starting 3-4, wins the coastal. Also won 6 of 7 in 2019 after the 1-2 start, but the bad finish… well that’s a separate topic, seeing as all these seasons I mentioned ended on a bad note.

…but mid season resiliency. Let’s see if they can draw us back in at all like they did those years.

and maybe if we’re lucky, the season ends with Duzz getting a Mayo shower after beating Maryland in the Mayo Bowl.

a tad dramatic don't ya think?

Narduzzi doesn’t think he’s undefeated

it’s a motivational tactic… and he’s right… three times in the red zone you turn the ball over after doing the work of getting there? That’s the definition of beating yourself. You can’t even blame Cignetti.
Your right, I used the wrong word saying undefeated. PN said they were unbeaten. And then he also said they would have beaten TENN if Nick Patti hadn’t have gotten hurt. I don’t know how motivational it is as much as excuse-making.

I especially found the Nick Patti comment a contradiction. If he’s viewed that capable by PN, than why not give him some reps in the recent game when the offense was doing nothing.

LOL - The officials are the boogeymen. Thanks for your input Tinfoil Man.
Right I love that. If this were a basketball game between Pitt and Carolina, that ACC anti-Pitt officiating conspiracy nonsense would at least sound a little more plausible, even if it isn’t . But nobody outside of the players and coaches and their families cares about UNC football.

Yeah, maybe they run things out? Doesn’t look likely though.

The real problem with a mediocre year is you have next year looming, with tons of talent leaving and a brutal schedule he really needed to perform this year
Not sure if you noticed but there isn’t “tons of talent” to be found on this roster. There are a few individual elite talents, and then everyone else. And the two most talented guys, Izzy and Barth, are likely to be back.

I love this message board. There are 7 career/program defining games every year according to panther lair.

This game is probably the difference between the Fenway Bowl and the Motor City Bowl. The stakes could not possibly be lower.

I wrote “defining game”, not autobiography.

Not sure if you noticed but there isn’t “tons of talent” to be found on this roster. There are a few individual elite talents, and then everyone else. And the two most talented guys, Izzy and Barth, are likely to be back.

There's enough talent to finish the season ranked. Having an oline with every returning starter back is a luxury in college football. Several receivers back with the addition of transfers, all of your RBs, most of the key starters on defense (although LB depth was thin), plus an experienced P5 Qb transferring in. Add to that the two OOC games against P5 were at home, and the coastal figuring not to be strong all pointed to at least a Top 25 finish.

Not saying it was "tons of talent" to contend for a playoff spot, but enough to finish at least 9-3 (which can still happen mathematically).

So far the main reason for the disappointing season is poor play by the QB, who is turning quickly into the second coming of Sal Genilla. A Nate Peterman level of transfer and we are probably 6-1. Although to a certain extent poor play with turnovers and lack of execution contributed to the Louisville and GaTech games.

There's enough talent to finish the season ranked. Having an oline with every returning starter back is a luxury in college football. Several receivers back with the addition of transfers, all of your RBs, most of the key starters on defense (although LB depth was thin), plus an experienced P5 Qb transferring in. Add to that the two OOC games against P5 were at home, and the coastal figuring not to be strong all pointed to at least a Top 25 finish.

Not saying it was "tons of talent" to contend for a playoff spot, but enough to finish at least 9-3 (which can still happen mathematically).

So far the main reason for the disappointing season is poor play by the QB, who is turning quickly into the second coming of Sal Genilla. A Nate Peterman level of transfer and we are probably 6-1. Although to a certain extent poor play with turnovers and lack of execution contributed to the Louisville and GaTech games.
It all depends on 9.

I wouldn't call this a career-defining game. Pitt had the chance to begin to establish itself as a program with a 9-win season. Instead they botched it and lost to a couple of bad teams in Georgia Tech and Louisville. It's been a big letdown.

I’m pretty sure an 11th win and an ACC championship is the defining game of Narduzzi’s career. It is much more impactful than some obscure late October game against UNC.

I’m pretty sure an 11th win and an ACC championship is the defining game of Narduzzi’s career. It is much more impactful than some obscure late October game against UNC.
I have a feeling that if Narduzzi goes 7-5, 5-7, and 6-6 all of you will still be pointing to what is obviously an outlier as a reason Narduzzi needs the next 200 years to turn things around

Ok..,it’s the day after and I stand by my assertion. This WAS a defining game for PN and it encapsulates his career as a head coach.
He is chronically underachieving. His teams are outcoached, out prepared and sloppy.
That is the definition of a PN coached team.

Ok..,it’s the day after and I stand by my assertion. This WAS a defining game for PN and it encapsulates his career as a head coach.
He is chronically underachieving. His teams are outcoached, out prepared and sloppy.
That is the definition of a PN coached team.
I still agree with you, but you’ll get the people in here that will hang on last year for the next 15 years

Reactions: Saboteur II
I will admit I was behind the contract extension and I'll admit I was wrong,that extension is going to be an albatross to this program unless a miracle happens and someone hires duzz away from us

Reactions: PittMiamiRivalry
I will admit I was behind the contract extension and I'll admit I was wrong,that extension is going to be an albatross to this program unless a miracle happens and someone hires duzz away from us
Every AD in America would extend their HC at Pitt if they won 11 games. You could debate the length, but even if you extend it 5 years that takes it to 2027 as opposed to 2030.

Reactions: pittmeister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT