ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt under Narduzzi

pittisit37

Sophomore
Jul 21, 2013
Mebane, NC
Long time Pitt fan. Last night as I watched the game and the 4th quarter started, i kinda paused to remember the days when Narduzzi first came and how he had to force the players to get hyped for the 4th quarter. What stood out to me was when the third quarter started and I saw Gonclaves holding up 4 fingers to celebrate the 4th quarter was just how far this program under Narduzzi has come since those early days. We have had some growing pains along the way, but it is not too hard to see the growth that Narduzzi has brought to our program. The caliper of players and depth that we have now is much improved along with overall stability. I may not agree with all of his decisions during the games, but big picture a lot of those decisions turn out okay or to be the right one. Narduzzi seems to approach the game as a poker player who seems to never show his hand-frustrating for us fans but often effective in the end. Good win last night, and while i was one of the fans shouting throw the ball more, in the end his strategy got us the win.

He is a good solid coach but certainly not daring by any means. Let’s be frank, the game was certainly in doubt until the fourth quarter and if our defense wasn’t playing so well last night might have been a different story.

Obviously Slovis was more banged up than we were told. Otherwise you do not risk a game like that to QB3.

He is a good solid coach but certainly not daring by any means. Let’s be frank, the game was certainly in doubt until the fourth quarter and if our defense wasn’t playing so well last night might have been a different story.

Obviously Slovis was more banged up than we were told. Otherwise you do not risk a game like that to QB3.
The fact that Pitt was able to win that game with a third string QB, two starters out at OL,four defensive starters missing, tells you how far we have come as a program. Wmu isn't a horrible team. We were basically able to just line up and beat them with a patch work team

Long time Pitt fan. Last night as I watched the game and the 4th quarter started, i kinda paused to remember the days when Narduzzi first came and how he had to force the players to get hyped for the 4th quarter. What stood out to me was when the third quarter started and I saw Gonclaves holding up 4 fingers to celebrate the 4th quarter was just how far this program under Narduzzi has come since those early days. We have had some growing pains along the way, but it is not too hard to see the growth that Narduzzi has brought to our program. The caliper of players and depth that we have now is much improved along with overall stability. I may not agree with all of his decisions during the games, but big picture a lot of those decisions turn out okay or to be the right one. Narduzzi seems to approach the game as a poker player who seems to never show his hand-frustrating for us fans but often effective in the end. Good win last night, and while i was one of the fans shouting throw the ball more, in the end his strategy got us the win.
I agree the players are always much more ready to play

The fact that Pitt was able to win that game with a third string QB, two starters out at OL,four defensive starters missing, tells you how far we have come as a program. Wmu isn't a horrible team. We were basically able to just line up and beat them with a patch work team
WMU Is not last years team. So they are pretty bad. We need a 64-6 win against URI. The team needs to erase all doubts about themselves so they can impose will on conference games. The conference is ours to take this year if we want it. Clemson still isn’t Clemson of old and nobody else looks super great yet.

What it says imo, Pitt needs Slovis to win the Coastal/ACC but they don't need him to win against a WMU or Rhode Island..

What it says imo, Pitt needs Slovis to win the Coastal/ACC but they don't need him to win against a WMU or Rhode Island..
But you probably should play him against URI so his first game back isn’t a conference game. Provided he is 100% healthy. If he isn‘t, then, yes rest him.

Michigan St. beat WMU by pretty much the same score at home. MSU was ranked 11th going into the weekend, though beaten solidly by an unranked Washington. Not sure how bad WMU is or isn’t, but we can compare to MSU’s score. I thought this was the defenses game to win and they did just that.

Last edited:
Reactions: phijo
Pitt went on the road to beat a team they lost to last year, starting a 3rd string QB. And won by 21. That doesn't happen in a Wanny/Graham/Chryst year. The team is simply deeper.

It's deeper, but it should be. Transfer portal... Higher recruiting budget means we can venture into Florida instead of having to settle for WPIAL guys... Higher assistant coaching budget... 6th year eligibility because of Covid... No coaching changes in the last seven years (i.e. no mass exodus or losing an entire recruiting class)... 4-game redshirt allowance now in effect.

Past coaches didn't have a lot of these things at their disposal.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
Michigan St. beat WMU by pretty much the same scores at home. MSU was ranked 11th going into the weekend, though beaten solidly by an y ranked Washington. Not sure how bad WMU is or isn’t, but we can compare to MSU’s score. I thought this was the defenses game to win and they did just that.

By any objective measurement, Pitt should be ranked ahead of MSU but with the B1G bias- it won't happen.

Pitt went on the road to beat a team they lost to last year, starting a 3rd string QB. And won by 21. That doesn't happen in a Wanny/Graham/Chryst year. The team is simply deeper.
Lol! Are we hyping beating WMU? Yeah we lost to them last year but never should have abd this game was in doubt way too long

It was western Michigan. Not Michigan, not Michigan state, western Michigan,

Pitt was always going to dominate the 4th quarter with their gameplan and the overmatched WMU defense. Without a bunch of fluke plays, the game was never really in doubt.

Lol! Are we hyping beating WMU? Yeah we lost to them last year but never should have abd this game was in doubt way too long
No one is hyping WMU. What we are hyping is that the team won a game under less than ideal situation due to injuries and starting a QB that has never played a down and they won in very workman like way. Win and advance to the next game no matter how they do it.

WMU very well might be awful, but that was a pretty impressive performance by a banged up defense. Save the poor discipline on that trick play TD, WMU never really threatened to reach the end zone.

34-13… please shut up you are acting like an annoying bastard. It’s obnoxious and you have yet to make a coherent point about anything with this team that demonstrates you actually … you know…. Watch games?

34-13… please shut up you are acting like an annoying bastard. It’s obnoxious and you have yet to make a coherent point about anything with this team that demonstrates you actually … you know…. Watch games?
If you watched the game last night, ad thought the offensive game plan that yielded 6 offensive points until the end of the third quarter was good I have to question if YOU watched the game

Pitt started a kid that has not played much football even in high school in Texas. He was hurt all last year with a bad injury. Cignetti is smarter than a lot of the posters on this board. Michigan State was also in a close game til late with WMU. Pitt knew they could wear them down and it showed in the second half. Yarnell did play a great game. H2P!

Pitt started a kid that has not played much football even in high school in Texas. He was hurt all last year with a bad injury. Cignetti is smarter than a lot of the posters on this board. Michigan State was also in a close game til late with WMU. Pitt knew they could wear them down and it showed in the second half. Yarnell did play a great game. H2P!
Football-wise Cignetti is way smarter than anyone posting on this board !

Coaches don’t get a chance to be Monday qbs until they retire and do TV !

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
This. Intern Mumbles loses this game.
He would. That’s because he (and his predecessor) didn’t give a funk and were sniffing for the next job about ten seconds into their tenure. Good or bad, Narduzzi has stuck around and improved things. Maybe he simply hasn’t gotten the ideal job or price dangled in front him, but there certainly would have been opportunities for step-up jobs and he’s remained. We all know far too well the coaching carousel hasn’t been kind to us.

If you watched the game last night, ad thought the offensive game plan that yielded 6 offensive points until the end of the third quarter was good I have to question if YOU watched the game
34-13 PITT did exactly what they needed to do given the ridiculous number of injuries they currently have. Period. No one is bragging but no one should be doing what you are doing which amounts to mindless braying and bitching. At no Point did I believe PITT would lose that game

Reactions: pittdan77
But you probably should play him against URI so his first game back isn’t a conference game. Provided he is 100% healthy. If he isn‘t, then, yes rest him.
I thought this too.... but Georgia Tech might be one of the worst P5 teams in the country. So that isn't a bad game for Slovis as a warmup to the real games.

GT might have an interim head coach by the time we play them.

Just my opinion but PN is a good solid coach. He isn't great but he does have the kids buying all in and he gets them to play hard. What you are seeing is a good coach who has been given time to build a program. We haven't had that at Pitt for a long time.
There are only like… 6 coaches in college football that are legitimately great. The rest are bad, mediocre, or solid.

Dude, you really need slapped. You are the most obnoxious human being on here. And that is saying alot.

Reactions: FireballZ
It's deeper, but it should be. Transfer portal... Higher recruiting budget means we can venture into Florida instead of having to settle for WPIAL guys... Higher assistant coaching budget... 6th year eligibility because of Covid... No coaching changes in the last seven years (i.e. no mass exodus or losing an entire recruiting class)... 4-game redshirt allowance now in effect.

Past coaches didn't have a lot of these things at their disposal.
But neither did their opponents.

There are only like… 6 coaches in college football that are legitimately great. The rest are bad, mediocre, or solid.
This is so true. Ask all of those SEC schools who keep on rotating coaches in and out trying to catch Nick Saban and Alabama.

Also, no program, including Alabama, is immune to making a bad hire. Christ look at Notre Dame. I watched alot of them yesterday, and they should have lost to Cal. They looked horrible. I don't know why any program like that would hand the reigns over to an unproven assistant (see Pitt; Fazio, Foge) instead of a proven coach.

This is so true. Ask all of those SEC schools who keep on rotating coaches in and out trying to catch Nick Saban and Alabama.

Also, no program, including Alabama, is immune to making a bad hire. Christ look at Notre Dame. I watched alot of them yesterday, and they should have lost to Cal. They looked horrible. I don't know why any program like that would hand the reigns over to an unproven assistant (see Pitt; Fazio, Foge) instead of a proven coach.
When Jimbo began at FSU he was thought to be at that level. He even parlayed that into a big payday at aTm.

He’s proven to be human, too.

I’m trying to think who I’d say is legitimately a great coach that would win anywhere and so far I have two locks: Saban and Meyer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT