ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt-WF Game 3

Pitt 3-0 top of the 2nd

Pitt had a runner on 2nd with 1 out. We hit a double off the wall but the runner on 2nd wasn't waved home. I've never seen a runner not be able to score from 2nd on a double. So, what happens next? Safety squeeze with a terrible bunt so the runner on 3rd was out by a mile. Next batter popped up.

So, the with a runner on 2nd with 1 out, Pitt scores 0 runs even after a double.

I've never seen a runner not be able to score from 2nd on a double.

Oddly enough, the Pirates did that same thing last week. Francisco Cervelli hit a double. The next hitter, I forget off the top of my head who it was, hits a ball to the left center field gap. At some point Cervelli thinks it might be caught so he starts to head back to second. The ball drops in but the fielder grabs it on the first hop and gets the ball in quickly. And Cervelli gets held at third because he was standing right next to second base when the ball fell in.

You just have to put the ball in play there. If we lose this game those two at bats are going to be the ones that haunt us.

Question for those that follow much closer than I do as I made it to 2 games this year. No doubt tough to compete with the southern teams but is our problems all geography, how much is coaching and players. Thoughts on how much more time you give this staff. It seems the past 3 years they have had considerable collapses. is there any light at the end of this tunnel or are we going to settle for bad baseball along with
The Pirates.

Question for those that follow much closer than I do as I made it to 2 games this year. No doubt tough to compete with the southern teams but is our problems all geography, how much is coaching and players. Thoughts on how much more time you give this staff. It seems the past 3 years they have had considerable collapses. is there any light at the end of this tunnel or are we going to settle for bad baseball along with
The Pirates.

Geography prevents programs like Pitt from being Clemson, FSU, LSU, Texas, etc. However, Louisville and Virginia have powerhouse programs and their weather is only very slightly better than Pittsburgh's.

Nobody is asking that we be LSU or Texas.....or Louisville or Virginia. The weather isn't preventing us from being a team that makes an NCAAT 2 or 3 times every 10 years. I dont follow college baseball that closely but you see NE teams with much better programs than ours: UConn, BC, SJU, SHU, WVU, Indiana. Even on the other coast, the fighting Scott Barnes's are a national power despite less than great weather.

My quick take on the program is that its 99% recruiting. Generally, we've had decent enough pitching but usually only 2-3 major D1-level hitters.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT