ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt will face 3 Heisman Trophy candidates this fall in Drake Maye, Travis Jordan and Sam Hartman. How has Pitt fared against Heisman Trophy winners?

cbpitt2

Freshman
Sep 12, 2011
Pitt will face three Heisman Trophy candidates this fall in North Carolina's Drake Maye, Travis Jordan from Florida State and Notre Dame's Sam Hartman.

How has Pitt fared against Heisman Trophy winners?

Last edited:
How many Heisman winners has Pitt faced in recent memory?

Lamar - Won in 2016, but Pitt beat UL in 2015 when he came in relief.

Winston - Ran roughshod over Pitt in 1st ACC game.

Eddie George - Played at Pitt Stadium in 1995. Can’t recall how he did specifically but that was a loaded Ohio State team against the nadir of Pitt history and went as expected.

Tim Brown - Pitt upset ND in 1987. Brown and Ironhead were both finalists, but Brown and his 3 TDs won, because… ND?

Marcus Allen won the Heisman that year.
Yep. That Sugar Bowl was played on January 1, 1982, but Walker won his Heisman in the 1982 season that followed. For what it's worth, in that bowl game, Walker had 84 yards on 25 carries, 2 TDs.

The whole Sam Hartman thing rubs me the wrong way. Dude was a legend at WF.

Notre Dame has all the resources in the world and can't produce a homegrown QB ?
Time for Pitt to beat the Irish again.

Last edited:
Pitt will face three Heisman Trophy candidates this fall in North Carolina's Drake Maye, Travis Jordan from Florida State and Notre Dame's Sam Hartman.

How has Pitt fared against Heisman Trophy winners?

Isn't everybody a Heisman candidate before the year starts?

How many Heisman winners has Pitt faced in recent memory?

Lamar - Won in 2016, but Pitt beat UL in 2015 when he came in relief.

Winston - Ran roughshod over Pitt in 1st ACC game.

Eddie George - Played at Pitt Stadium in 1995. Can’t recall how he did specifically but that was a loaded Ohio State team against the nadir of Pitt history and went as expected.

Tim Brown - Pitt upset ND in 1987. Brown and Ironhead were both finalists, but Brown and his 3 TDs won, because… ND?
Cappelletti carried PSU on his back in the second half in 1973.

Notre Dame has all the resources in the world and can't produce a homegrown QB ?
what's crazy is ND, in the last 5 years, ND REcruited the following:

4 star Jurk
3 star Brandon Clark
4 star Drew Pyne
4 star Buchner
3 star Powlus
3 star Angeli

And they still have to go to Wake Forest to poach a capable QB for '23..

Sam Hartman a Heisman candidate? Thats ambitious
Sam Hartman is #18 in NCAA history in passing Touchdowns playing at Wake Forest. He’s likely surrounded by better talent now. I don’t think saying he’s one of ten Heisman favorites is a crazy notion.

Sam Hartman is #18 in NCAA history in passing Touchdowns playing at Wake Forest. He’s likely surrounded by better talent now. I don’t think saying he’s one of ten Heisman favorites is a crazy notion.
Agreed. Just where he is now alone will force him into the conversation. If he puts up solid numbers, he’ll continue to be included as others drop away.

Yeah, but he's not playing for the same coach in the same offense where he produced those numbers. Not crazy, but highly unlikely.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer

Nevertheless, the WF fans should be rooting for him! They should be proud of him! They should wish him the very best! You know? Like the trolls were saying about Jordan Addison going to USC….

Yeah, but he's not playing for the same coach in the same offense where he produced those numbers. Not crazy, but highly unlikely.
Well until a few days ago he had Tommy Rees as his OC before Bama snatched him away. It will be interesting to see what happens now.

Reactions: pittdan77
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT