ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt-WVU game thoughts

Agree with your comments. Particularly on the O line and wrt Drexel. He got pushed around quite a bit on the plays I watched him specifically. Also, our DB's aren't slow to turn their heads, they just don't turn their heads at all on many plays. Very frustrating because on several TD throws they had reasonably good coverage but never looked for the ball. You're going to get abused if you're not looking for the ball, particularly on fade routes. Also leaves you vulnerable to many PI calls (which we've seen). Found an interesting article on why DB's fail to find the ball.

Enjoy.

Cruzer
Agree. Drexel and the right side of the OL all struggled. Taylor replaced Goncalves at the end and did much better. Hope he gets more of a chance. As far as Drexel, IMO we have better options at C. As you said he really got pushed around.

Very frustrating when our DB’s don’t turn their heads. Last year Mathis was really good at turning his head.

Pitt does not teach their defensive backs to look back for the ball. They want the DBs running "in phase" with the receivers, and they think that they can't do that if they are looking back for the ball. They think that college quarterbacks don't throw the ball well enough to complete passes to guys when a db is running with the receiver stride for stride.
That’s half correct. Pitt does not want DBs who are out of phase looking back. In phase DBs are expected to look for the ball.

Oh one more thought -- not sold on the full back experiment. Need to rewatch on TV but that's my initial take...this line isn't a bunch of man blocking maulers to run 46 power with Hynoski smashing the end man. I think throw it a bit more and when you want to commit to the run, stick to draws, outside zone, and an occasional change of pace RPO
RPO with Nick yes, Slovis only in a very rare occasion. Carter had a quick first step. Need to see more to see if it can stay.

WVU was a bit better than I thought they'd be and Pitt was a bit worse.

Slovis had some good throws and proved he can move the ball through the air. Other times his pocket presence was poor. The line played better than it looked in protection as Slovis did not handle pressure particularly well. The run blocking was underwhelming as was the insistence to run on first down. Putting yourself consistently in long yardage situations is just poor coaching. Pitt will have to do a better job throwing on early downs next week.

The defense had up and down moments. I was disappointed they did not generate more pressure, but they made the big play of the game. Special teams made the biggest gaffe with the punt block and that didn't need to happen.

I think I may be most excited about the offensive weapons. The wide receivers flashed some very good potential and Pitt has a good tight end they ignored all night. Add in Hammond and this offense can be something. I still think they need to be pass first with elements of running to supplement the passing game.
I thought the DL did a good job pressuring the QB. The defense as a whole has to do a lot better against the run.

I'm not sold on this group of WRs. As a group, I think they are very average.

I thought the DL did a good job pressuring the QB. The defense as a whole has to do a lot better against the run.

I'm not sold on this group of WRs. As a group, I think they are very average.

I don’t think very average. A solid group. No one guy just jumps off the screen with talent or keeps the opposing DC up at night.

I don’t think very average. A solid group. No one guy just jumps off the screen with talent or keeps the opposing DC up at night.
Hard to say right now. Probably closer to TD’s assessment at this point. I think when Narduzzi said in his first game week presser of the season that the WR room gives him chest pains and drives him nuts because of all the “little detail stuff” they don’t do correctly, he wasn’t just pulling that out of his a$$.

But at least none of our WRs tipped a perfectly thrown ball for a backbreaking pick 6.

ADVERTISEMENT