ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt/WVU

MartyInLawrenceville

Sophomore
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2012
Pitt was just overmatched tonight. Cappas just couldn’t get the ball down, and he got hit hard. WVU’s pitcher had some length, maybe 6’-3”, he had some heat too. The Panthers just couldn’t get much going with it today.

On another note, screw Bob Nutting! It was a Pitt home game, but you couldn’t tell. There were more WVU features on the scoreboard than Pitt. By about 2-1. WVU players were featured on the scoreboard more than Pitt. The last straw for me was, at the end of the 7th inning, they played “Country Roads“. I couldn’t get out of there fast enough. Last I checked, PNC Park was in the city of Pittsburgh. Last I checked, the University of Pittsburgh was the city’s university.

I dont enjoy playing WVU in anything...

I get no enjoyment from beating them, and couldnt care less if we ever played them again.

I hate nutting... how tf does he "donate" to wv when he doesnt even spend money on his own MLB team?!?

From Wheeling, not a wvu grad.
But dad huge WVU supporter.

WVU Business Hall of Fame

G. Ogden Nutting
2002 INDUCTEE
G. Ogden Nutting has been a leader in the West Virginia publishing industry for more than 40 years. West Virginia's largest newspaper company, Ogden Newspapers Inc., publishes 38 daily newspapers, several magazines, weekly newspapers and shopping guides in 11 states.

In 1968, Nutting became the third generation of his family to direct and manage the company when he became general manager after 12 years working in all departments at several newspapers.

He was named president and publisher in 1970. Under Nutting's leadership, the company has continued to expand to take advantage of opportunities in new markets. He has earned recognition for maintaining the regional and editorial character of the publications he acquires while increasing circulation. He has skillfully guided a regional business founded in the 19th century into the challenging corporate climate of the 21st century.

Besides being an astute and able publisher, Nutting is also a strong contributor to the community, especially education. He is a member of the Board of Directors of the WVU Foundation and is on the Board of Trustees of both Bethany College and the Linsly School. He is also a former member of the Visiting Committee of the WVU School of Journalism. He and his family have demonstrated a commitment to education in West Virginia through creation of endowed scholarships, a library endowment, and a visiting professorship at WVU. Nutting is a graduate of Williams College.

Nutting's distinguished service has brought him numerous awards and honors, including being named a life member of the West Virginia Press Association, the 1996 Most Loyal West Virginian Award, the 1998 WVU Distinguished Service Award, and induction into the Order of Vandalia in 2002.

https://mediacollege.wvu.edu/news/2012/04/26/nutting-receives-honorary-degree-at-may-commencement

Well honorary grad --- for point of clarification. The Nutting family donations to WVU are pretty significant. Particularly for WVU athletics. The Nutting family, AZ Diamondbacks owner Ken Kendrick, WACO Oil and Gas founder Ike Morris, Little General Stores owner Greg Darby are some of the more "influential WVU athletics donors" -- meaning when coaches are hired/fired, facilities are needed etc. those are the folks who generally get to "weigh in". Obviously Mylan Pharmaceuticals founder Mylan "Mike" Puskar -- whose name is on Mountaineer Field was once our biggest "sugar daddy" but the Puskar family fortune I believe has largely been tied up in family battles since Mylan's death -- not too mention all the controversy surrounding Mylan, Heather Bresch and epi-pens these days....

Pitt was just overmatched tonight. Cappas just couldn’t get the ball down, and he got hit hard. WVU’s pitcher had some length, maybe 6’-3”, he had some heat too. The Panthers just couldn’t get much going with it today.

On another note, screw Bob Nutting! It was a Pitt home game, but you couldn’t tell. There were more WVU features on the scoreboard than Pitt. By about 2-1. WVU players were featured on the scoreboard more than Pitt. The last straw for me was, at the end of the 7th inning, they played “Country Roads“. I couldn’t get out of there fast enough. Last I checked, PNC Park was in the city of Pittsburgh. Last I checked, the University of Pittsburgh was the city’s university.

Their pitcher was actually 6'7", and it wasn't a Pitt home game it was a neutral site game. The crowd outdrew what the Pirates would have had on a cold Tuesday night. We have a ways to go talent-wise, but we'll be better next year so when we play the Hoopies hopefully it'll be a better game.

Reactions: jctrack
Their pitcher was actually 6'7", and it wasn't a Pitt home game it was a neutral site game. The crowd outdrew what the Pirates would have had on a cold Tuesday night. We have a ways to go talent-wise, but we'll be better next year so when we play the Hoopies hopefully it'll be a better game.
On this note: we certainly could lose West and/or Hammer to the draft this summer, but if one or both of those guys are on the roster in 2020 we could have a very good weekend rotation returning with West, Hammer and Corcoran, along with guys like Cappas, Comacho, Devereux and Ronan. Could be one of the better rotations in the ACC, to be honest.

The crowd outdrew what the Pirates would have had on a cold Tuesday night.

Not even close to outdrawing the lowly Pitates.

The place was pretty much empty, I think official attendance was a little over 2 thousand people.

Not even close to outdrawing the lowly Pitates.

The place was pretty much empty, I think official attendance was a little over 2 thousand people.

The pirates aren’t drawing 2k on a Tuesday night when it’s 45 degrees.

On this note: we certainly could lose West and/or Hammer to the draft this summer, but if one or both of those guys are on the roster in 2020 we could have a very good weekend rotation returning with West, Hammer and Corcoran, along with guys like Cappas, Comacho, Devereux and Ronan. Could be one of the better rotations in the ACC, to be honest.

West won’t be back unfortunately but good for him. Camacho also likely won’t be ready to pitch until after next season.

West won’t be back unfortunately but good for him. Camacho also likely won’t be ready to pitch until after next season.
He’s been very good; I would have thought Hammer would be the better of the two coming into the season, but West has been impressive. Stinks for Camacho, but he’ll be a nice piece as a redshirt senior.

Any insight on Washington?

The pirates aren’t drawing 2k on a Tuesday night when it’s 45 degrees.

Lol what?? You seriously think the Pirates would get less than 2k for any game?

They got 13k last Tuesday against the Rangers.

They Pirates dont get great attendance but 2k is pretty much empty.

Last edited:
Lol what?? You seriously think the Pirates would get less than 2k for any game?

They got 13k last Tuesday against the Rangers.

They Pirates dont get great attendance but 2k is pretty much empty.

I’m not talking about what they announce. I’m talking about the actual turnstile count. You think that number is the actual number lol

I’m not talking about what they announce. I’m talking about the actual turnstile count. You think that number is the actual number lol

Yes pretty close. I've never seen a pirate game being so empty before.

Yes pretty close. I've never seen a pirate game being so empty before.

I went to the Wednesday night game vs Arizona. Idk what they announced but it looked like a closed scrimmage. I could have went around and shaken hands with everyone in the crowd.

Wed April 24th? Over 9K people

Yeah there was more like 1,000. I was there & I know what 9,000 people look like. Take a look at the crowd tonight with nice weather vs the Rockies. It’s not good and it’ll be way less than what they announce

Yeah there was more like 1,000. I was there & I know what 9,000 people look like. Take a look at the crowd tonight with nice weather vs the Rockies. It’s not good and it’ll be way less than what they announce

A lot of ppl dont make first pitch...

But those photos show many more than were at the Pitt WVU baseball game.

i find it amazing that any person spends $1 or one minute on the pirates. it's like an abusive relationships and idiots keep going back. i gave up caring in '94 when the team gave up.

Last edited:
Reactions: DiehardPanther
ADVERTISEMENT