ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt's best WR tandem......

cbpitt2

Freshman
Sep 12, 2011
Who was Pitt's best wide receiver tandem? Before anyone answers Larry Fitzgerald and me or Fitz and Tiger Paul or Fitz and Bill Hillgrove, and you might not be wrong, perhaps the question better asked is who was Pitt's best #2 wide receiver?

Here are some wide receiver tandems that came to mind:

Julius Dawkins and Dwight Collins
Antonio Bryant and Latef Grim
Antonio Bryant and R.J. English
Larry Fitzgerald and Lamar Slade
Tyler Boyd and Devin Street
Jordan Addison and Jared Wayne

Others?

Last edited:
Too young for Dawkins and Collins. Taking Fitz out of it, I'll go with Boyd and Street. I did like Brown and Grim plus English was a number 3 if memory serves me correctly.

Who was Pitt's best wide receiver tandem? Before anyone answers Larry Fitzgerald and me or Fitz and Tiger Paul or Fitz and Bill Hillgrove, and you might not be wrong, perhaps the question better asked is who was Pitt's best #2 wide receiver?

Here are some wide receiver tandems that came to mind:

Julius Dawkins and Dwight Collins
Antonio Bryant and Latef Grim
Antonio Bryant and R.J. English
Larry Fitzgerald and Lamar Slade
Tyler Boyd and Devin Street
Jordan Addison and Jared Wayne

Others?
Dawkins and Collins

Bryant and Grim. I actually think that Fitz coming so soon after Bryant made people forget how great Bryant really was.

AB and Grim.

What a night the two had versus VTech in 1999: 13-215 (AB) and 11-151 (Grim).

What could’ve been with Fitz and Steve Breaston though.

i actually really liked tuten and truitt. was pissed when Truitt transferred..
I never blamed Truitt for getting out of the shitstorm Hackett was creating, but he went to play for Sherrill and Jackie Boy, for how much love I have for him, knew Jack squat about receivers. Truitt never blossomed and staying at Pitt one more year and trying the NFL early would’ve been his best path.

Last edited:
Antonio was one of the early diva WR's. I remember Bill Parcells giving him sh*t at a Cowboys practice after Antonio was bitching about his WR3 role and not getting enough touches.....and Bryant took off his jersey and threw it in Parcell's face..He was traded to the Browns 2 days later....

Dawkins and Collins were unstoppable. I would have to go with them. Antonio and Latef comes in second.
Take off those rose-tinted glasses. They are easily the worst tandem on the list and don't belong on here.

Marino threw for more yards away from that tandem, than to them.
Can't say that about Fitz and whoever.
Can't say it about Bryant and whoever
Can't say it about Boyd and Street.
Can't say it about Addison and Wayne.

Their best finish in a single season in yards ranked 36th and 120th.
Boyd and Street - 20th and 75th
Addison and Wayne - 4th and 128th
Fitz, Wilson, and Brockenbrough - 1st, 120th, and 128th
English and Bryant - 58th and 98th
Bryant and Grim - 3rd and 112th.

Last edited:
Take off those rose-tinted glasses. They are easily the worst tandem on the list and don't belong on here.

Marino threw for more yards away from that tandem, than to them.
Can't say that about Fitz and whoever.
Can't say it about Bryant and whoever
Can't say it about Boyd and Street.
Can't say it about Addison and Wayne.

Their best finish in a single season in yards ranked 36th and 120th.
Boyd and Street - 20th and 75th
Addison and Wayne - 4th and 128th
Fitz, Wilson, and Brockenbrough - 1st, 120th, and 128th
English and Bryant - 58th and 98th
Bryant and Grim - 3rd and 112th.
Did you actually see them play?

Did you actually see them play?
No and don’t have to. The stats speak for themselves. Calling them an unstoppable duo, but they never combined for 50% of the passing yards in a season should be outright disqualifying.

If someone comes in here and says that Joe Punchguy is the greatest boxer of all time, but he had a record of 12-8 in the ring, then I don’t need to see his fights to know that his only qualifications can be summed up by nostalgia.

No and don’t have to. The stats speak for themselves. Calling them an unstoppable duo, but they never combined for 50% of the passing yards in a season should be outright disqualifying.

If someone comes in here and says that Joe Punchguy is the greatest boxer of all time, but he had a record of 12-8 in the ring, then I don’t need to see his fights to know that his only qualifications can be summed up by nostalgia.
Well that disqualifies you from making any comments on what my opinion of them are. Stats don't always tell the story . And since you weren't privy to seeing them actually play - you cats only think it's about stats. They weren't throwing the ball around like they do today. But physically and play making ability...these two were beast. Why do you think they were listed? The stats huh...did you know Julius Dawkins made first team AA?

Well that disqualifies you from making any comments on what my opinion of them are. Stats don't always tell the story . And since you weren't privy to seeing them actually play - you cats only think it's about stats. They weren't throwing the ball around like they do today. But physically and play making ability...these two were beast. Why do you think they were listed? The stats huh...did you know Julius Dawkins made first team AA?
Yeah, Dawkins had a great season with 15TDs. How did his dynamic duo partner do that same season? He wasn't 2nd on the team in receiving. He wasn't 3rd on the team in receiving. He wasn't 4th on the team in receiving. He was 5th in receiving yards and 6th on the team in receptions. Collins averaged fewer than 2 catches per game the year that Dawkins was AA.

Also, they weren't throwing the ball around like today? Pitt averaged 31.6 passing attempts per game over Marino's Junior and Senior seasons.
That's more passes than Pitt threw in 2000 with Bryant and Grim.
More passes than Pitt threw in 2001 with Bryant and English.
More passes than Pitt threw in 2002 with Fitzgerald and Slade.
Only 0.3 fewer passes per game than 2013 with Boyd and Street.
Marino's passing attempts in his final two seasons would put Pitt's passing attempts higher than 65+ Division 1 teams this past season, including Pitt.

Boyd and Street combined for 57% of Pitt's receptions and 69% of Pitt's passing yards in 2013.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT