ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt's Biggest ACC Rival

How many ACC schools (heck, any school) can say they’ve beaten Clemson twice since 2016? I think there’s a mutual respect developing that will likely grow as we play more often with the updated conference scheduling.
Dabo, his staff and the Clemson players are definitely more concerned with the Pitt game now than they once were. No question they now will always think of Pitt as a dangerous opponent where they’ll need to bring their A-game.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt725
I don’t think it matters to have an ACC rivalry. I think it’s more about who we always have good games with and a history. What I hope is that we play WVU or PSU to retain our real rivalries. I guess VT should be the so called rivalry.

If Pitt wins a second straight ACC championship this coming season and continues to contend for the championship -staying in the top three on a regular basis - things will work out beautifully with lot’s of ACC teams wanting to claim they are Pitt’s rival. Even Clemson would start looking at Pitt as a rival at that point.

• Haha
Reactions: LordoftheTides
Dabo, his staff and the Clemson players are definitely more concerned with the Pitt game now than they once were. No question they now will always think of Pitt as a dangerous opponent where they’ll need to bring their A-game.
I don't think big dogs like Clemson are that concerned with their opponents as much as they are about execution. If they take care of their business they should beat just about every team in the nation. Definitely no where near a rivalry on either side.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
How many ACC schools (heck, any school) can say they’ve beaten Clemson twice since 2016? I think there’s a mutual respect developing that will likely grow as we play more often with the updated conference scheduling.
I think Clemson pays no mind to Pitt pme
way or the other beyond just being another ACC opponent on its schedule. And unless Pitt has several more seasons similar to the last one, or unless the Clemson program is entering a decline, that’s how it will stay.

If Pitt wins a second straight ACC championship this coming season and continues to contend for the championship -staying in the top three on a regular basis - things will work out beautifully with lot’s of ACC teams wanting to claim they are Pitt’s rival. Even Clemson would start looking at Pitt as a rival at that point.
Bro…..

• Haha
Reactions: LordoftheTides
Not sure what your point in interjecting PSU and WVU is, but you’re right, like Pitt, they don’t have legit conference rivals now-and all 3 programs and fanbases are the worse for it.
This^

If a consensus is reached that VT is Pitt’s rival then you are “rival-less” in ACC..just like WVU in XII and Sandusky in B1G.

Reactions: Hail2PittPanthers
Pitt and UNC have played in a lot of close games but ask any UNC fan which loss was worse the Pitt loss or the N.C. State loss they will tell you N.C. State was way worse.

Sports “Rivalries” are kind of like politics today. They’ve grown really ugly, and definitely more hostile. As such, I really don’t mind that Pitt hasn’t developed any particularly hateful enemies in the ACC. Contrary to the beliefs of some, it IS possible to enjoy games without seething hatred for the fans of their opponent. The increasing need during sporting events to keep one’s head on a swivel for three hours due to the risk of projectiles (or even fists) striking it from behind should not be anyone’s idea of entertainment. I enjoy my teams kicking the tails of its opponents, and certainly enjoy some more than others, but I’m able to leave it behind when the game ends and get on with life pretty effectively.

Sports “Rivalries” are kind of like politics today. They’ve grown really ugly, and definitely more hostile. As such, I really don’t mind that Pitt hasn’t developed any particularly hateful enemies in the ACC. Contrary to the beliefs of some, it IS possible to enjoy games without seething hatred for the fans of their opponent. The increasing need during sporting events to keep one’s head on a swivel for three hours due to the risk of projectiles (or even fists) striking it from behind should not be anyone’s idea of entertainment. I enjoy my teams kicking the tails of its opponents, and certainly enjoy some more than others, but I’m able to leave it behind when the game ends and get on with life pretty effectively.
I'm 100% opposite. I don't find them to be hostile at all and find the best rivalries are mutual respect or genuine dislike because a team stands in your way. I have Pitt and Steelers season tickets and when the Ravens or Patriots are on the schedule there is an extra gear for that game, more buzz in the stadium and often a playoff-like atmosphere. Bigger crowds too with more energy from start to finish. You don't get that when the Seahawks or Texans roll into town.

I wish Pitt played WVU every year to have that regional rival like every other big-time program in the country has. I wish they had an ACC opponent for a game we could get up for an sell out the stadium and have a big-game atmosphere.

I also think what you're talking about has nothing to do with rivalries and everything to do with alcohol consumption.

• Haha
Reactions: 4382 and FireballZ
Virginia Tech is the game I get the most fired up for, but I don't think it's a two-way rivalry. Other than that it's just a bunch of teams we play in the division.
I think it is a two way rivalry. Just not "the" rivalry for either team.

We have been a thorn in their side since they joined the Big East. I recall the VaTech team carrying reprints of the Post Gazette sports page from their 2001 beat down in Heinz Field as they walked onto the field at Lane Stadium.

The problem is that it is not the #1 rivalry for either team and VaTech has a build in ACC rival in Virginia.

The closest thing we have to a 2-way rivalry in the ACC is Syracuse, but only because of our long term history as independents and then joint membership in the Big East. But it is not a very hated rivalry. I can't recall the last time we played them when we were both relevant.

Pitt vs VaTech in the early 2000's

I agree. There is no pressing need in my mind to play some idiots who have disgusting fans that would only present dangerous situations in our stadium. We don't need a bunch of drunken hillbillies and child rape lovers polluting our games. Let them do that somewhere else. I'm perfectly happy playing decent games against our ACC opponents and winning ACC Championships. We don't need the wvu's and PissU's of the world around here. Let them rot.

i def have a bit more "interest" against the hokies than i do a normal ACC team like a syracuse, ga tech or even Virginia.. there is a little bit of history there for sure. i wouldnt say it's a rivalry but i think it's more than just a normal conference game between the two.

You build competitive rivalries by playing meaningful games. To me, a meaningful game is one where both teams are ranked and both teams have serious stakes at risk. In ACC play, Pitt has only played 3 such games. In 2020 we played Louisville in September and both teams were ranked. We won but Louisville lost every game from that point on and finished something like 3-9 so it became just another game. Last year, both Pitt and WF were ranked in the Championship game and both Pitt and MSU were ranked in the bowl game. There have been no other meaningful games. In BE play, we finished 1-11 in such games with the only win being against VT in 2003 where they were #5 and we were #25. They lost every game from then on and we lost every non-Temple game and we both finished unranked. I went back to 1980. Against ACC teams, we are 1-1 vs FSU, 0-2 vs ND, 1-0 vs NC, VT, WF, 0-3 vs Miami and 1-2 vs Cuse. 13 meaningful games (IMO) vs ACC foes in 42 years with a record of 5-8 in those games. Many of these games were in September and were irrelevant by November.

It seemed the ACC set us up with Miami by scheduling us last 6 times in the 10 years we've been in the conference (including this year). Personally I wish it would happen. We have similarities.

Reactions: rmf05
It seemed the ACC set us up with Miami by scheduling us last 6 times in the 10 years we've been in the conference (including this year). Personally I wish it would happen. We have similarities.
Unfortunately we’ve always polluted the bed on the occasions we’ve played Miami with important stakes. We’ve won a couple, but only when we have stunk and they woefully underestimated us. Certainly nice to win but other than the brief satisfaction, the win meant nothing, at least for us. Both teams need to be in the running for something, at the very least the conference championship and ideally better as far as the national picture. Play a few games like that (without the results being one sided) and rivalry will develop quickly.

Unfortunately we’ve always polluted the bed on the occasions we’ve played Miami with important stakes. We’ve won a couple, but only when we have stunk and they woefully underestimated us. Certainly nice to win but other than the brief satisfaction, the win meant nothing, at least for us. Both teams need to be in the running for something, at the very least the conference championship and ideally better as far as the national picture. Play a few games like that (without the results being one sided) and rivalry will develop quickly.
Dead on the nose. generally Miami has had more talent. Most of those games the Canes either crushed us like bugs or watched us flail while they held us off with one arm and held a Cuban sammich with the other. There were a few times when I was certain the U deliberately played vanilla ball and still won decisively. When we've had to go toe to toe, mano y mano... well, you get results like last year. Rinse and repeat. When Pitt can start beating Miami more often, the program will have cranked up a few notches. Miami is the yardstick opponent, just as Notre Dame was Miami's measuring stick in the 1980s.

A Pitt-Miami rivalry would be huge for both programs and the ACC.

It would've been huge for the BE as well but.............

Everything is set up for both teams.

Reactions: pittdan77
A Pitt-Miami rivalry would be huge for both programs and the ACC.

It would've been huge for the BE as well but.............

Everything is set up for both teams.
Except we wo t play them every year with the new format. I’d say Virginia tech has the best chance now being one of our three rivalries

Except we wo t play them every year with the new format. I’d say Virginia tech has the best chance now being one of our three rivalries
Yeah, that sucks. I love our division. The ACC is stupid for blowing things up just as they are starting to gel.

ADVERTISEMENT