ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt's last kickoff

Franb

Junior
Jun 25, 2002
It is a minor point, but I didn't hear anyone question UCLA's decision to fair catch the kick with 4 seconds left. Why not try the lateral scramble play? It has to be a better option than running 1 play from the 22. Even if you get a PI call, it is only 15 yards. Then you run a play from the 37. Another PI gets you to the 48. Another PI gets you to the 33. Then a 50-yard field goal try. That is 3 PI calls to get to a 50-yard field goal attempt.

It is a minor point, but I didn't hear anyone question UCLA's decision to fair catch the kick with 4 seconds left. Why not try the lateral scramble play? It has to be a better option than running 1 play from the 22. Even if you get a PI call, it is only 15 yards. Then you run a play from the 37. Another PI gets you to the 48. Another PI gets you to the 33. Then a 50-yard field goal try. That is 3 PI calls to get to a 50-yard field goal attempt.

Yea I was glad they did that. I wouldn’t even throw a pass in that case. I'd hand it off and try to do a bunch of laterals because the chance you even complete a pass is minimal. And even if you catch a 40-50 yard pass, you still need to do a bunch of laterals.

Who cares? This is like questioning if having a regular lottery number is better than going random.

I wondered if UCLA prepped for a squib on that kick. But when the ball is in the air and in play it seems it almost automatic kids are going to fair catch it.

Who cares? This is like questioning if having a regular lottery number is better than going random.
When did you ever see a touchdown scored on a hail mary from the 20? We have all seen touchdowns on kick off returns, with laterals or without.

Sauls bombed that. I was concerned with the penalty and the wind that they’d be within Hail Mary range or worse case we get a penalty and give them a 60 downwind fg attempt to win

Sauls has turned into an exceptional K

When did you ever see a touchdown scored on a hail mary from the 20? We have all seen touchdowns on kick off returns, with laterals or without.

I said when it happened that they should have returned the kick. Neither is very likely, but you are more likely to return a kickoff for a touchdown than you are to work a successful hail Mary / Stanford band play combined into one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT