ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt's path to the NCAA Tournament

For THIS year, Capel is a good coach. The previous 4 years, he was terrible. I'll give him the credit he deserves for this year and building this team with mature players with grit, integrity and cohesiveness. He has turned it around for this year. But the jury is still out on what he does in the future. I am a strong believer in trends. One year does not a trend make. Now if he can at least do this well or better for the next 3 or 4 years, then we can start calling him a good coach and program builder.

As it stands right now for next year, he has a couple of players from this year's squad, if they decide to stay, and some recruits that aren't here yet and haven't played one minute for Pitt. Until they do, they're irrelevant.
Absolutely. Also caught a break in Hugley deciding to stop weighing the team down.

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
For THIS year, Capel is a good coach. The previous 4 years, he was terrible. I'll give him the credit he deserves for this year and building this team with mature players with grit, integrity and cohesiveness. He has turned it around for this year. But the jury is still out on what he does in the future. I am a strong believer in trends. One year does not a trend make. Now if he can at least do this well or better for the next 3 or 4 years, then we can start calling him a good coach and program builder.

As it stands right now for next year, he has a couple of players from this year's squad, if they decide to stay, and some recruits that aren't here yet and haven't played one minute for Pitt. Until they do, they're irrelevant.
And I'm sure JC really cares what you think. All signs are looking good for the future and stop the negativity for once in your life. H2P!

Reactions: bschulter
I read their new AD was complaining a bit about the BJ Center, said something like it wasnt built for basketball (it wasn't) and they are strongly considering pushing the court all the way to one side of the "hockey rink" and putting a curtain behind the other basket. So basically curtaining off that 1/3 of the arena. I've been saying they should do that for years.
They’re probably moving most of their OOC games and the games that occur during thanksgiving or winter break to the old arena on the other side of campus next year that seats 6500 or so. They already play at least one home game during winter break in Philadelphia for the same reason.

They already drop the upper deck curtains for midweek conference games.

And I'm sure JC really cares what you think. All signs are looking good for the future and stop the negativity for once in your life. H2P!

LOL! OK, dude. Whatever you say. I just stated FACTS and REALITY. Deal with it.

I'm sure neither Capel nor anyone here cares what you think. Are you always this combative and confrontational? That's a sad way to go through life.

Correct, he hasn’t been an absolute disaster until year 5 after flaming out as the worst coach in Oklahoma history (prior to Moser that is).

Penn State is a dead end job that has killed coaches careers. He’s 14-11 and probably gonna have a winning record at Penn Freaking State in year 2. There’s a reason he was being mentioned for Notre Dame and Capel was not. He’s a much much better coach.

I never said PSU was a good job... you said you like their chances to make the tournament over Pitt.... that's all. I like Micah.

I wouldn’t say he was terrible in year one or two per se. 3 conference wins for a team that went 0-19 in ACC and then 6 wins year two was decent progression. Then the program really stagnated…But this is where the team was meant to be in year 5. Pitt will end up higher seeded than any of the Dixon ACC Pitt teams, which was an initial goal. Not sure what success will continue but a round of 32 or sweet 16 would quickly make up for the last 6 awful years.

Oh, we're now into name-calling?? LOL! What does Fox have to do with this anyhow? I know....you're a CNN, MSNBC sheeple. You want to get banned, don't you.

I could call you a dozen names, but won't. I have more class than that. Let's just say I'm ashamed that someone like you is a Pitt fan. You give real, good Pitt fans a bad name.
Yeah ok that's why you mention politics in almost every thread. I just use common sense to make my own decisions. Right went too far right and left went too far left. Baby huey certainly didn't help with the division either.
Do you think good Pitt fans should continue to be negative about JC for next year already?

Reactions: bschulter
I wouldn’t say he was terrible in year one or two per se. 3 conference wins for a team that went 0-19 in ACC and then 6 wins year two was decent progression. Then the program really stagnated…But this is where the team was meant to be in year 5. Pitt will end up higher seeded than any of the Dixon ACC Pitt teams, which was an initial goal. Not sure what success will continue but a round of 32 or sweet 16 would quickly make up for the last 6 awful years.

Yes, if Pitt can make the round of 32, that's great progress at this point. Sweet 16 would be grounds for fireworks and a celebration on Forbes Ave. I'm not so sure Pitt will eventually be seeded higher than any of the Dixon ACC teams. We have a few games left to play, and we're talking about a selection committee that isn't always objective. We can hope.

But like I said, I believe in trends. I want to see what he does next year and the following few years, assuming he's still here.

Correct, he hasn’t been an absolute disaster until year 5 after flaming out as the worst coach in Oklahoma history (prior to Moser that is).

Penn State is a dead end job that has killed coaches careers. He’s 14-11 and probably gonna have a winning record at Penn Freaking State in year 2. There’s a reason he was being mentioned for Notre Dame and Capel was not. He’s a much much better coach.
A little sarcastic there
relative to Capel. LOL.
However, I also like Micah,
and I believe he'll make a
defference at PSU. The Big
10 is no cakewalk, and it's
definitely better than the
ACC now and recently IMO.
He didn't ineherit much,
but has them playing on a
not so bad level. They've
beaten Iowa, Michigan by
22 and ranked Indiana also
by 22. They're 14-11 at this
point. Another year or two
of recruiting and transfers,
and I believe we'll see a
better PSU...not that any
on here give a sh..t. LOL

Absolutely. Also caught a break in Hugley deciding to stop weighing the team down.
I think Capel will be OK here in the future.

He got a couple of guys to help him with portal recruiting. (He always could recruit.)

He got off social media. With success, hearing less excuses. (I think that would have been the case regardless)

He has something coming back and something coming in. We will add experienced transfers. Need to keep the team chemistry. I think we have learned not all the chemistry problems were entirely his fault. This team proves they were not.

The turn around this season got most people off his back, winning will keep them off his back..

Reactions: CaptainMurphy

Take Capel out of the equation.

They have the OLDEST team in the country and just completely fell apart down the stretch.

I don’t care if it’s at Penn St, Pitt, or Kentucky.

Failure.

You’re hard on Capel. Very hard. Which is fine and fair. Be consistent. I like Shrewsberry and maybe he will have the better future but this stretch run has been a complete failure. And that falls on him.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Take Capel out of the equation.

They have the OLDEST team in the country and just completely fell apart down the stretch.

I don’t care if it’s at Penn St, Pitt, or Kentucky.

Failure.

You’re hard on Capel. Very hard. Which is fine and fair. Be consistent. I like Shrewsberry and maybe he will have the better future but this stretch run has been a complete failure. And that falls on him.
Oh they’ve been terrible and I hope Shrewsberry fails miserably and they’ve been really bad lately. It’s been great.

FWIW, I blocked Shrew’s number a while ago and won’t answer his assistants. Doesn’t change I think he’s a miracle worker to get PSU people worried he might use them as a stepping stone instead of a burial ground for his career

I think he might end up fitting the classic coach archetype of “X’s and O’s mastermind who gets a ton of respect from the coaching and ‘smart fan’ communities, but whose ceiling is ultimately limited because they don’t coach teams into being tough enough.”

Think Fran McCaffrey. Or…..a certain former Pitt coach whose tenure ended badly……

Pitt 18-7 (11-3) NET 51
PSU 14-11 (5-9) NET 67

long story short, PSU stinks... go figure. I see at least 3 more losses on the docket.. NIT definitely in question at this point. I still like Micah.. I just think PSU needs to make more of an effort to emphasize hoops. However, he's no Jeff Capel.
Ha.

"Capel won't ever coach in the NCAAT while at Pitt" ... also, did you make your donation of under 6 ACC wins yet? Not lettin you off the hook on that.
Penn State is better than Pitt. Penn State will be better in the future than Pitt. Micah > Capel.

Capel would be smart to use this opportunity to get another job. This miracle year will never happen again.

And I’ll absolutely donate again to the program. I’m also donating more players via the transfer portal. I do more for this program than anyone on this site

Penn State is better than Pitt. Penn State will be better in the future than Pitt. Micah > Capel.

Capel would be smart to use this opportunity to get another job. This miracle year will never happen again.

And I’ll absolutely donate again to the program. I’m also donating more players via the transfer portal. I do more for this program than anyone on this site

that's great ... we made a bet though lol

that's great ... we made a bet though lol
I already said I’ll do it, including in that post….

It’s 100 bucks, it would be better served to some NIL fund designed for Pitt players than directly to the program though

Find me the Pitt hoops NIL fund and I’ll donate Sunday night.

You may not be wrong about Shrewsbury but I heard that PSU has the oldest team in the country. They are also the best 👌 shooting team in the country and terrible defending the 3. So basically they are Pitt but got far more Q1/2 opportunities. I dont think you can use this year to say he's better. He may well be but they were mirror images.....and he took over a team that was in the NCAAT 3 years ago if it wasnt canceled

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT